Huntington Station, New York
Huntington Station, New York
The Long Island Rail Road station after which the hamlet was named
U.S. Census map
|• Total||5.5 sq mi (14.2 km2)|
|• Land||5.5 sq mi (14.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||217 ft (66 m)|
|• Density||6,000/sq mi (2,300/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
11746, 11747, 11750
|GNIS feature ID||0953500|
Huntington Station is located at .
Demographics of the CDP
As of the census of 2010, there were 33,029 people, 10,067 households, and 7,449 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 6,005.3 per square mile (2,326.0/km2). There were 10,523 housing units at an average density of 1,913.3/sq mi (741.1/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 64.0% White, 10.9% African American, 0.6% Native American, 3.5% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 16.4% some other race, and 4.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 36.7% of the population.
There were 10,067 households, out of which 40.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.4% were headed by married couples living together, 15.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.0% were non-families. 19.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.0% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.26, and the average family size was 3.56.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 24.7% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 30.6% from 25 to 44, 25.4% from 45 to 64, and 10.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35.4 years. For every 100 females, there were 104.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.5 males.
For the period 2009–2011, the median annual income for a household in the CDP was $70,898, and the median income for a family was $77,674. Males had a median income of $46,600 versus $47,162 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $29,598. About 7.2% of families and 12.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.0% of those under age 18 and 6.3% of those age 65 or over.
The hamlet is a major hub for the area. It is the beginning point of electrification for the Port Jefferson Branch of the Long Island Rail Road, and so many New York-bound trains start at Huntington station. The hamlet also has the S1 bus (operated by Suffolk County Transit), providing service along Route 110. In addition, the Town of Huntington also operates Huntington Area Rapid Transit (HART) buses through the area, with the H10 & H20 buses serving the area near the LIRR Huntington station, while the H30 & H40 buses only serve the southern portion of the hamlet by Jericho Turnpike.
Notable current and former residents of Huntington Station include:
- Gerry Cooney, former heavyweight boxer
- Diabolic, underground hip-hop artist and rapper
- Adam Ferrara, Comedian
- Tom Gugliotta, former NBA player
- Joseph Hazelwood, the ship's master of the Exxon Valdez at the time of the Exxon Valdez oil spill in the Prince William Sound, Alaska, on March 24, 1989
- Charlie Korsmo, former child actor, lawyer
- Latterman, punk rock band
- A.J. Preller, GM of the San Diego Padres Baseball Team.
- Jim Wetherbee (born 1952), astronaut
- Walt Whitman, poet
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Huntington Station, New York.|
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Huntington Station CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "1903 map".
- "Walt Whitman Birthplace State Historic Site". New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 16 March 2020.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Huntington Station CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "2010 Census data for City of Huntington Station, NY". www.zip-codes.com.
- "Selected Economic Characteristics: 2009-2011 American Community Survey 3-Year Estimates (DP03): Huntington Station CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-12-29. Retrieved 2013-10-14.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Kerr, Kathleen. "They Began Here: Around the country, leading thinkers in health and science can trace their roots to Long Island" Archived 2008-06-09 at the Wayback Machine, Newsday, July 16, 2008. Accessed 2008-09-17.