Huntington Township, Gallia County, Ohio
|Huntington Township, Gallia County, Ohio|
Fields north of Vinton
Location of Huntington Township in Gallia County
|• Total||36.9 sq mi (95.5 km2)|
|• Land||36.5 sq mi (94.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||659 ft (201 m)|
|• Density||39/sq mi (15.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086140|
Huntington Township is one of the fifteen townships of Gallia County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 1,442, of whom 1,220 lived in the unincorporated portion of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Wilkesville Township, Vinton County - north
- Salem Township, Meigs County - northeast corner
- Morgan Township - east
- Springfield Township - southeast corner
- Raccoon Township - south
- Madison Township, Jackson County - southwest corner
- Bloomfield Township, Jackson County - west
- Milton Township, Jackson County - northwest corner
Vinton, the second smallest village in the county, is located in eastern Huntington Township.
The northernmost township in Gallia County, Huntington Township is the only county township to border Vinton County.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Huntington township, Gallia County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.