Huntsville Independent School District
In addition to Huntsville, the district serves the city of Riverside as well as rural areas in central Walker County. The current Interim Superintendent position is Fred Rush (former HISD Superintendent).
- Mance Park Middle School (grades 7-8)
- Originally built as Huntsville High School in 1950. This campus then became Huntsville Junior High. Later, the campus changed to Mance Park Middle School. Today it is a middle school campus with approximately 900 students per year attending.
Elementary schools and early childhood
- Huntsville Intermediate School (Grades 5-6)
- Huntsville Elementary (Grades K-4)
- Samuel W. Houston Elementary (Grades K-4)
- Scott Johnson Elementary (Grades K-4)
- Estella Stewart Elementary (Grades K-4)
- Gibbs Pre-K Center (Grades PK3-PK4)
- Samuel W. Houston High School
- Samuel W. Houston Elementary School
Huntsville ISD has standardized dress for grades 5-12 adopted by the board summer 2017.
- Richard Linklater, director, attended and graduated from Huntsville High (1973-1977) and heavily based Dazed and Confused (1993) on the experience.
- Charles Harrelson, criminal and father of Woody Harrelson, occasionally attended Huntsville High on and off from 1951-1953. 
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2017)
Until the 1960s, the school system, like many others in the United States, segregated schools by race, with white students attending one set of schools and non-white students attending another.
The district was fully racially integrated in 1968. Elementary schools began to be integrated before 1965. In 1965, students from non-white schools were allowed to apply to attend Huntsville High School instead of the non-white high school, Samuel W. Houston High School. One of the first African-American students to attend Huntsville High School was Joreen Kelly. She later became a teacher at Huntsville High School. The first African-American student to integrate Huntsville Elementary school was Janet Smither. (Now known as Janet Johnson)
- Rainwater, Mary. "HISD to hear update on high school construction." Huntsville Item. June 17, 2010. Retrieved on August 10, 2011.
- "Standardized Dress Guidelines." Huntsville Independent School District. Retrieved on September 13, 2010.
- Cartwright, Gary (2010-11). Dirty Dealing: Drug Smuggling on the Mexican Border & the Assassination of a Federal Judge: An American Parable. Cinco Puntos Press. ISBN 9781933693897. Check date values in:
- Green, Stephen (2014-02-08). "Retired teacher helped integrate Huntsville High School". The Huntsville Item. Retrieved 2016-01-07.