Hunx and His Punx
Hunx and His Punx
|Origin||San Francisco, and Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Labels||Hardly Art, True Panther Sounds|
|Associated acts||Hunx and His Punkettes, Gravy Train!!!!, Shannon and the Clams, Nobunny, Jay Reatard|
|Past members||Amy Blaustein|
Hunx, real name Seth Bogart, started the band in 2008 after years of performing in a pop group called Gravy Train!!!! The group's sound has been compared to girl groups and is a mix of punk and bubblegum music. The band played its first national tour of the United States alongside Jay Reatard and Nobunny in 2009. The band officially released its debut singles compilation album Gay Singles in 2010 on True Panther Sounds in the U.S. and Born Bad in France. Hunx used to co-own 'Down At Lulu's', a hair salon in Oakland, California, but sold it in 2011.
In January 2010, Hunx began a tour featuring an all-girl backing band. The new line-up has been identified on the tour and in new songs such as "Lovers Lane" as Hunx and His Punkettes.
In March 2010, the band played in a tribute concert for the recently deceased Jay Reatard. In May 2010, LensCrafters began airing a commercial featuring a short audio clip of "Gimmie Gimmie Back Your Love." In October 2010, Hunx and His Punx signed to Hardly Art. The band's debut album for the label, Too Young to Be in Love, was released in April 2011. It was produced in New York City by Ivan Julian of Richard Hell and The Voidoids.
In June 2011, Hunx announced that they would be playing their last show with the "Punkettes" due to Hunx and His Punx guitarists Amy Blaustein and Michelle Santamaria quitting. He then moved to Los Angeles.
In February 2012, Hunx released a solo album titled Hairdresser Blues on Hardly Art. In 2016, he released his second solo album Seth Bogart under his birth name on Burger, featuring collaborations from Kathleen Hanna and Tavi Gevinson.
Hunx and His Punx now consists of Seth Bogart, Shannon Shaw and Erin Emslie. They released Street Punk in 2013 and toured with a new guitarist Nik Johnson. In 2014 they released a greatest hits for their Japan Leg of Street Punk tour.
Seth Bogart has since opened his own clothing line called Wacky Wacko that has been seen on some of his idols Miley Cyrus and Kathleen Hanna.
Hunx and His Punx albums
- Gay Singles, True Panther, 2010
- Too Young to Be in Love, Hardly Art, 2011
- Street Punk, Hardly Art, 2013
- Greatest Hits, Violet and Claire (Japan), 2014
Hunx solo albums
- Hairdresser Blues, Hardly Art, 2012
- Seth Bogart, Burger, 2016 (as Seth Bogart)
- "Gimmie Gimmie Back Your Love", Rob's House, 2009
- "Good Kisser" / "Cruisin" Single, Bachelor Records, 2009
- "Hey Rocky", Bubbledumb, 2010
- "Teardrops On My Telephone", Shattered, 2010
- "Don't Cha Want Me Back?", True Panther Sounds, 2010
- "Pink Christmas" with SSION and Samantha Urbani, 2014
- Gay Singles, True Panther Sounds, 2010
- "an interview w/ Jay Reatard (whose Shattered Records tour hits Le Poisson Rouge in NYC tonight)". BrooklynVegan. Retrieved March 12, 2010.
- "Hunx and His Punx – Free listening, concerts, stats, & pictures at". Last.fm. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "a fine little record label, if we do say so ourselves". Hardly Art. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Hunxxxxxxx (@HunxAndhisPunx) - Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved May 13, 2017.
- "New Album: Hunx and His Punx - Street Punx (Garage Rock)". stillinrock.com. Retrieved May 13, 2017.
- "Hunx and his Punx". gayletter.com. August 21, 2013. Retrieved May 13, 2017.
- "SSION, Hunx and His Punx, and Samantha Urbani Wish You a "Pink Christmas"". The Fader. Retrieved December 28, 2014.