Hurghada International Airport
|Hurghada International Airport
مطار الغردقة الدولي
|IATA: HRG – ICAO: HEGN|
|Elevation AMSL||52 ft / 16 m|
Hurghada International Airport (IATA: HRG, ICAO: HEGN) is an international airport located in Hurghada, Egypt. It is located inland, 5 km (3.1 mi) southwest of El Dahar, the downtown of Hurghada. It is the second busiest airport in Egypt after Cairo International Airport.
The airport is currently served by two terminals: Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. In recent years,[when?] a large number of expansion works was carried out at the airport, including the building of the arrival hall, which cost US$155 million. The construction of a second 4,000m long, 75m wide runway is planned.
Construction of a new terminal complex at a cost of $335 million, which was mainly financed by the Arab Fund for Economic Development. Egypt's aviation minister, Houssam Kamal, said that the airport would be able to host up to 13 million visitors annually. The project was inaugurated by President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi on December 17, 2014. The new terminal has a total area of 92,000 square meters on 3 levels. The departure hall has 72 check-in counters, 20 departure gates and a duty-free arcade.
Airlines and destinations
Car hire is available at the airport. Regular taxis, tourist taxis and minibuses operate from the airport as well.
- Airport information for HEGN at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for HRG at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- "Egypt completes Hurghada airport expansion". Al-Arabiya. 17 December 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- "Egypt doubles Red Sea airport capacity in anticipation of more tourists". Al-Bawaba. 17 December 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- "Sisi inaugurates a new terminal in the Hurgadah International Airport". The Cairo Post. 17 December 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "Germania Flight Schedule / 30.12.2014 - 01.11.2015" (PDF). Germania.
- OSBORN, ANDREW; HOSENBALL, MARK (7 November 2015). "Russia suspends Egypt flights, U.S. boosts security as intelligence points to bomb". Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Pegasus Airlines begin new service to Egypt
- Groningen Airport Eelde krijgt lijndienst naar Egypte
- "WIZZ AIR ANNOUNCES NEW SERVICES FROM BUDAPEST TO HURGHADA AND ALGHERO". Wizz Air. 15 December 2014.
- "Wizz Air temporarily grounds flights to Hurghada". Budapest Business Journal. Absolut Media.
Media related to Hurghada International Airport at Wikimedia Commons