Hurricane (Natalie Grant album)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Studio album by Natalie Grant|
|Released||October 15, 2013|
|Genre||Contemporary Christian music, pop rock|
|Natalie Grant chronology|
|Singles from Hurricane|
Hurricane was the eighth studio album from contemporary Christian music singer Natalie Grant. It was the ninth album for her career, and it was released on October 15, 2013 by Curb Records. The album was produced by Bernie Herms. The album has achieved commercial charting successes as well as garnered critical acclaim from music critics.
"Burn Bright" was released on January 30, 2015, as the third and final single from the album.
Music and lyrics
At New Release Tuesday, Kevin Davis wrote that "Every song is catchy and meaningful", and that this album "seamlessly bringing together all of her elements of infectious melodies, stellar vocals, and worshipful lyrics in a flawlessly produced album." In addition, Davis noted that "This album is not full of Christian clichés, but instead is loaded with fresh offerings of praise that every believer can celebrate." Jonathan Andre of Indie Vision Music said that this album has "some great pop, with a bit of acoustic, country, folk, rock and EDM slotted in between" that was done in a "physical and metaphorical" kind-of way, yet "aren't so great when they suddenly appear in our own lives, sometimes out of warning." At Jesus Freak Hideout, Bert Gangl suggest that this album was in the "dance-pop" genre, which it contains some "country-pop" that he told she should delve deeper into making with her next album.
Laura Chambers of Christian Music Review wrote that "Hurricane takes you into the depths of her mind, heart and soul, offering the same hope she’s found in Christ to anyone facing perilous times." At Christian Music Zine, Joshua Andre told that the release was "vulnerable, musically diverse, and creative". Matt Collar writing for Allmusic said the release has the same "passionate contemporary Christian pop music" for which Grant is known, but did note that "This time around, Grant finds a pleasing balance between her electronic dance music inclinations, piano-driven ballads, and rootsy country sound." At Louder Than the Music, Jono Davies said that the listener gets taken it with the remarkable vocal abilities of Grant's and stated that this was the reason listeners would smile while hearing the album.
|Christian Music Review|||
|Christian Music Zine||4.75/5|
|Indie Vision Music|||
|Jesus Freak Hideout||
|Louder Than the Music|||
|New Release Tuesday|||
Hurricane garnered critical acclaim from music critics to critique the album. At CCM Magazine, Grace S. Aspinwall called the album "a well-curated collection of jewels, with Grant's signature voice breathing life into these songs [...] proving that Natalie Grant just gets better with time." In addition, Aspinwall noted that "Hurricane is simply a joy." Kevin Davis of New Release Tuesday evoked that to him "Hurricane represents the best of Natalie's illustrious career", and stated that "they are all standout tracks." At Allmusic, Matt Collar called the sound "pleasing". Founder Tony Cummings of Cross Rhythms proclaiming that "This album is genuinely uplifting pop music of a high calibre [sic]."
At Indie Vision Music, Jonathan Andre called this a "treasured" and "an enjoyable album". Bert Gangl of Jesus Freak Hideout felt that the album "falls just shy of building a convincing enough body of evidence to recommend its purchase" beyond her most avid fans, but suggested that the release was "probably best appreciated by downloading its handful of most impressive tracks". Jesus Freak Hideout's Mark Rice affirmed that "Hurricane might not turn heads, but it is safe to say that Grant has fulfilled her expectations and delivered an overall solid product." DeWayne Hamby, reviewing the album for Charisma, says, "Though many of the songs are weighty, Hurricane is still upbeat in outlook and tempo."
At Christian Music Zine, Joshua Andre proclaimed the release as "her crowning achievement so far in her successful career, mainly because she recorded these songs despite feeling something else entirely", and this was "Due to the busyness and the many things surrounding her life during the recording process; these events alone make Hurricane extra special." Furthermore, Andre alluded to how the release was "so relatable and brilliant". Laura Chambers of Christian Music Zine called the release "A brilliant reminder like Hurricane wouldn't hurt." At Louder Than the Music, Jono Davies felt this was "one classy album" because it was "honest, yet has this sweet beauty flowing through all the songs."
For the Billboard charting week of November 2, 2013, Hurricane was the No. 17 most sold album in the entirety of the United States by the Billboard 200, and it was the No. 1 Top Christian Album sold the same week. The album has sold 30,000 copies in the US as of September 2015.
|1.||"Closer to Your Heart"||Natalie Grant, Bernie Herms, Maureen McDonald, Rune Westberg||3:51|
|2.||"Hurricane"||Matt Bronleewe, Grant, Cindy Morgan||3:28|
|3.||"For All of Us"||Michael Farren, Richard Craig Felker, Jesse Robert Grisham III, Jason Christopher Killebrew, Joel Ray Purdy||4:49|
|4.||"Whisper"||Ashley Gorley, Grant, Herms||3:52|
|5.||"Burn Bright"||Grant, Herms, Stephanie Lewis, David Moffitt||4:22|
|6.||"This Is Love"||Bronleewe, Grant, Morgan||3:45|
|7.||"Born to Be" (featuring Gary LeVox of Rascal Flatts)||Grant, Herms, Brett James||3:57|
|8.||"Dead Alive"||Kyle Lee, Sam Tinnesz||3:12|
|9.||"When I Leave the Room"||Grant, Herms, Nichole Nordeman||4:34|
|10.||"In the End"||Grant, Herms||4:54|
|iTunes Store deluxe edition|
|11.||"Closer to Your Heart" (Capital Kings Remix)||Grant, Herms, McDonald, Westberg||4:14|
|12.||"This Is Love" (David Thulin Remix)||Bronleewe, Grant, Morgan||3:59|
|13.||"Hurricane" (Acoustic)||Bronleewe, Grant, Morgan||4:18|
|14.||"I Love the Lord"||Richard Smallwood||3:34|
|US Billboard 200||17|
|US Christian Albums (Billboard)||1|
- Collar, Matt (October 15, 2013). "Hurricane – Natalie Grant". Allmusic. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- "Amazon.com: Hurricane (Single): Natalie Grant: MP3 Downloads". Amazon. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- "Natalie Grant - Closer To Your Heart - Daily Play MPE". Daily Play MPE. December 3, 2013. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- "Natalie Grant - Burn Bright (You Were Made To Shine) - Daily Play MPE". Daily Play MPE. November 17, 2014. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Davis, Kevin (October 15, 2013). "Category 4.5!". New Release Tuesday. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Andre, Jonathan (October 11, 2013). "Natalie Grant – Hurricane | Reviews". Indie Vision Music. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Gangl, Bert (October 12, 2013). "Natalie Grant, "Hurricane" Review". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Chambers, Laura (October 17, 2013). "Natalie Grant "Hurricane"". Christian Music Review. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- Andre, Joshua (October 14, 2013). "Natalie Grant – Hurricane (Review)". Christian Music Zine. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Davies, Jono (December 16, 2013). "Reviews – Natalie Grant – Hurricane". Louder Than the Music. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- Aspinwall, Grace S. (November 1, 2013). "Natalie Grant: Hurricane (Curb Records)" (PDF). CCM Magazine. Salem Publishing. p. 69. ISSN 1524-7848. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- Cummings, Tony (February 17, 2014). "Review: Hurricane – Natalie Grant". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- Rice, Mark (October 13, 2013). "Natalie Grant, "Hurricane" Review: Second Staff Opinion". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Hamby, DeWayne (October 1, 2013). Yoars, Marcus, ed. "Music: Hurricane – Natalie Grant (Curb Records)". Charisma. Vol. 39 no. 3. Lake Mary, Florida: Stephen Strang and Joy Strang. p. 90. ISSN 0895-156X. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- "Upcoming Releases". Hits Daily Double. HITS Digital Ventures. Archived from the original on September 3, 2015.
- "iTunes (U.S.) – Music – Natalie Grant – Hurricane". iTunes (U.S.). October 15, 2015. Retrieved October 8, 2015.
- "iTunes (U.S.) – Music – Natalie Grant – Hurricane (Deluxe Edition)". iTunes (U.S.). October 15, 2013. Retrieved October 8, 2015.
- "Natalie Grant – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Natalie Grant. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- "Natalie Grant – Chart history" Billboard Christian Albums for Natalie Grant. Retrieved May 16, 2017.