|Industry||Internet service provider|
|Headquarters||Fremont, CA, USA|
|Mike Leber, founder|
|Services||IP transit, colocation|
Hurricane Electric operates the largest Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) transit network globally, as measured by the count of interconnections to other networks (peering). The majority of these adjacencies are native IPv6 BGP sessions. This may be determined with Hurricane Electric's BGP looking glass at http://lg.he.net.
Hurricane Electric offers an IPv6 tunnel broker service, providing free connectivity to the IPv6 Internet via 6-in-4 IPv6 transition mechanisms. The company also provides an IPv6 certification program to further education and compliance in IPv6 technology. According to Hurricane Electric's statistics, as of January 19, 2015, the company provided 80,487 tunnels spanning 169 countries via the IPv6 tunnel broker and 10,383 individuals have reached the highest level of the IPv6 certification.
Within its global network, Hurricane Electric is connected to more than 137 major exchange points and exchanges IP traffic directly with more than 6,200 different networks. The company aims to increase number of IP peers to more than 10,000 networks and participated exchange points to more than 150 IXPs.
According to Euro-IX, Hurricane Electric ranks first in the world for the number of connections to associated Internet exchange points, with presence at 134 of them.
- Cherry, Steven (January 27, 2011). "IPv6 is Coming--Just in Time". IEEE Spectrum.
- Geoff Huston. "AS's ordered by AS Adjacency".
- Henderson, Nicole (June 6, 2011). "Hurricane Electric Launches Premium IPv6 Tunnel Broker Service". Web Host Industry Review.
- Deploy360 Programme. "Training: Hurricane Electric Free IPv6 Certification". Internet Society (ISOC). Retrieved 21 June 2012.
Hurricane Electric offers a series of free IPv6 “certification exams” aimed at helping you demonstrate your familiarity with IPv6 concepts and your ability to correctly configure IPv6 systems. Registration is free.
- Salmela, Jacob. "Earning the IPv6 Certification from Hurricane Electric on Mac OS X". JacobSalmela.com. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "Tunnels By Country". Hurricane Electric. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "IPv6 Sages by Region". Hurricane Electric. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Hurricane Electric Exchange Point Information". HE.net.
- "Internet Exchange Report - Exchange Partcipants (BGP Toolkit)". BGP.HE.net.
- "AS6939 Hurricane Electric, Inc. (BGP Toolkit)". BGP.HE.net.
- Walt Wollny (Director Interconnection Strategy). "100 Internet Exchange Points And Beyond!" (PDF). The Caribbean Peering and Interconnection Forum (CPIF). p. 26.
Next milestone 150 Internet Exchanges
- "ASNs present at 20 or more IXPs". euro-ix.net.