Hurricane No. 1
|Genres||Alternative rock, Britpop|
|Years active||1996–99, 2014–present|
|Past members||Andy Bell
Gareth "Gaz" Farmer
Hurricane #1 are an English rock band, formed in Oxford in 1996. The band were formed by former Ride guitarist Andy Bell, along with vocalist / guitarist Alex Lowe, bassist Will Pepper and drummer Gareth "Gaz" Farmer. After releasing two albums, Hurricane #1 (1997) and Only the Strongest Will Survive (1999), the band broke-up. Bell went to join Gay Dad and then eventually Oasis, while Lowe ventured into a solo career. Fronted by Lowe, the band reformed in 2014 and released their third album, Find What You Love and Let It Kill You, in November 2015.
Formation, Hurricane No. 1 and Only the Strongest Will Survive (1996–99)
Wishing to perform the later-day sound of his former band Ride, vocalist/guitarist Andy Bell formed Hurricane No. 1. Signed to Creation Records (along with fellow bands such as Oasis, The Jesus and Mary Chain and Primal Scream) they released their debut album in 1997, entitled Hurricane #1. This included their first single, "Step into My World", which reached number 29 in the UK Singles Chart (and a Paul Oakenfold remix of which reached number 19 in 1997), and other less successful singles "Just Another Illusion" and "Chain Reaction".
Break up (1999–2014)
In 1999, Bell parted ways with Hurricane No. 1, joining Gay Dad on guitar. Shortly after joining Gay Dad, Bell split from the band to become the bass player for Oasis. In 2004, a double disc compilation of their songs was released, entitled Step into My World.
Former Hurricane No. 1 vocalist / guitarist, Lowe has pursued a solo career, and has released three albums to date. In 2007, Lowe announced a new project called Garage Flowers, and a single, "Where To Begin", was released via iTunes.
In November 2014, it was announced that Hurricane No. 1 had reunited without Bell. The line-up, fronted by Lowe, featured Carlo Mariani on guitar, Lucas Mariani has now been replaced by Chris Mullin on bass and Chris Campbell on drums. The band's third album, Find What You Love and Let It Kill You, was released on 26 November 2015 through German-based label Tapete. Bell features "Think of the Sunshine". Lowe wrote the album while he was undergoing treatment for cancer in hospital. Lowe explained that "When you are wired up to chemo and radio therapy, the last thing you want to do is wallow in it and feel sorry for yourself so I had the idea that the album should be happy and not too dark."
Melodic Rainbows, the band's fourth album, was released on 12 October 2016 in Japan. The album will be released in the UK in November 2017.  The band are set to play Beano on the Sea festival in September and the Shiine On Weekender in November.
The band are set to embark on a tour in early 2018 and will also be releasing another album. They are releasing a single via download every month from September 2017 until some time in 2018.
- Studio albums
- Hurricane #1 (1997)
- Only the Strongest Will Survive (1999)
- Find What You Love and Let It Kill You (2015)
- Melodic Rainbows (2016)
- Delusions of Grandeur (2017)
- Molanphy 1998, p. 40
- Roberts 2006, p. 264
- Renshaw, David (21 November 2014). "As Andy Bell reforms Ride, his other band Hurricane 1 return without him". NME. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Marotta, Michael (19 November 2014). "Step Into My Reunions: Apparently Hurricane 1 are getting back together, but without Andy Bell". Vanyaland. Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- Millar, Mark (20 September 2015). "HURRICANE 1 – Preview tracks from forthcoming album 'Find What You Love And Let It Kill You' – listen". xsnoize. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Helman, Peter (22 September 2015). "Hurricane 1 Announce First New Album In 16 Years". Stereogum. Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- Hurricane#1 [@hurricane_no1] (28 October 2016). "Our new album "Delusions of Grandeur" will be released in the summer of 2017! On With The Show!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.