St Nicholas' parish church
|Population||2,008 (2001 Census)|
2,059 (2011 Census)
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|Website||Hurst Parish Council|
The parish of St Nicholas Hurst is situated at grid reference , about 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Wokingham and 2 miles (3 km) south of Twyford in the county of Berkshire. It covers about 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2) and as such is the largest civil parish in the Borough of Wokingham.
The village is on the A321 Twyford – Wokingham road. There are a number of other smaller areas of sporadic development, the main ones being along Davis Street on the B3030 Twyford – Winnersh road, along the B3034 Forest Road, from Bill Hill to Binfield and on Broadcommon Road.
The River Loddon flows north along the western side of the parish and a substantial proportion of the parish lies within the alluvial flood plain of this river and its tributaries. The most important exceptions to this are Church Hill just to the west of the village centre, and Ashridge to the south-east.
The Church of England parish church is dedicated to St Nicholas. The church is partly Norman and partly later medieval; the tower is of brick and was built in 1612. There are many monuments of the 17th and 18th centuries and much 17th-century woodwork.
St Nicholas Hurst is a civil parish with an elected parish council. It falls within the area of the unitary authority of Wokingham Borough. Both the parish council and the unitary authority are responsible for different aspects of local government.
The school was first built in 1843.
The primary school shares a breakfast club with St. Nicholas Pre-School Playgroup, a registered charity and member of the Pre-School Learning Alliance, which is open to all students and children of the playgroup.
Dolphin School is a coeducational, independent, preparatory day school and Nursery for children between the ages of 3 and 13.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "West Berkshire Council - Dinton Pastures Country Park - Wokingham Local Offer". Fis.westberks.gov.uk. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Betjeman, J. (ed.) (1968) Collins Pocket Guide to English Parish Churches: the South. London: Collins; p. 113
- "The Parish Council - St Nicholas Hurst Parish Council". Hurstpc.org.uk. 9 January 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "St Nicholas CE Primary School, Hurst". St-nicholas.wokingham.sch.uk. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
-  Archived 11 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- MLSMedia. "An Independent IAPS Co-Educational Preparatory Day School and Nursery". Dolphinschool.com. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hurst, Berkshire.|
- Hurst Parish Council
- Hurst Village Society
- Hurst Local History
- Hurst Show and Country Fayre
- Hurst War Memorial