Hurting Each Other
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Hurting Each Other"|
|Single by Carpenters|
|from the album A Song for You|
|B-side||"Maybe It's You"|
|Released||December 23, 1971|
|Carpenters singles chronology|
|A Song for You track listing|
"Hurting Each Other" is a song popularized by the Carpenters in 1972. It was written by Gary Geld and Peter Udell in 1965, and was recorded multiple times by artists from Ruby & the Romantics to Rosemary Clooney.
One early version of the song was recorded by Jimmy Clanton and released in 1965 as a single on Mala Records. According to Richard Carpenter, this version of "Hurting Each Other" had a very different feel from the Carpenters' product. However, there are definite similarities in the vocal refrain. Clanton's 1965 single of the song failed to chart.
Chad Allan & the Expressions, who later became The Guess Who, also recorded the song in 1965 on their Canadian LP Hey Ho (What You Do to Me!). Released as a single, the song hit #19 on the Canadian charts in early 1966. In June 1966 a version by Ruth Lewis, produced by Udell and Geld, was released as a single by RCA Victor records. A version also appeared on The Walker Brothers' second album, Portrait, which was released in November 1966.
The Carpenters recorded "Hurting Each Other" with instrumental backing from L.A. sessions musicians from the Wrecking Crew, towards the end of 1971. Some footage of Richard and Karen performing the backup vocals can be seen on Jerry Dunphy Visits the Carpenters, when news anchor Jerry Dunphy went to Karen and Richard Carpenter's house and interviewed them and their parents about their life.
It was released as a single in late 1971 from the album A Song for You. It reached number two on the Billboard Hot 100, it was kept from number one by Without You by Harry Nilsson "Hurting Each Other" also peaked at number one on the Easy Listening chart. Billboard ranked it as the No. 65 song for 1972.
The Carpenters performed "Hurting Each Other" at many live concerts, including a shortened version from the "Live in Osaka" concert in 1974.
- Karen Carpenter - lead and backing vocals
- Richard Carpenter - backing vocals, piano, Wurlitzer electric piano, orchestration
- Joe Osborn - bass
- Hal Blaine - drums
- Gary Coleman - percussion
- "Hurting Each Other". Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- "Search result, ACE title search, Performers of "Hurting Each Other"". American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP). Retrieved 2008-05-22.[permanent dead link]
- "45 Discography For Mala Records". Discographies of 50's and 60's record labels. Global Dog Productions. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- Song synopsis insert in Carpenters: Gold 35th Anniversary Edition
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Artist: Ruth Lewis". Second Hand Songs. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- Schmidt, Randy L. (2010). Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter. Chicago Review Press. p. 351. ISBN 1556529767. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- Hartman, Kent (2012). The Wrecking Crew. St. Martin’s Griffin. pp. 261–263. ISBN 978-1-250-03046-7.
- Brte, Anhieo. The Carpenters. AnVi OpenSource Knowledge Trust.
- "Hurting Each Other (song by The Carpenters) ••• Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. 1972-01-15. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". Flavourofnz.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "SA Charts 1965–March 1989". Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- "Carpenters Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-16. Retrieved 2013-07-12.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Top 100 Hits of 1972/Top 100 Songs of 1972". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-22. Retrieved 2015-05-21.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)