Hurvin Anderson (born 1965, in Birmingham) is a British painter.
Early life and education
Anderson often works from photographs and his own memories to create works that range from delicate paintings on vellum to large canvases that can consume an entire wall. His paintings and works on paper "depict places where memory and history converge" and engage with issues of identity and representation. While recent works, such as Studio Drawing 15 (2016) mark a shift toward abstraction in his oeuvre, the motifs of the barbershop, densely layered trees, and Caribbean landscapes have been consistently featured throughout most of his career.
Anderson is represented by Thomas Dane in London and Michael Werner Gallery in New York.
His work has been exhibited in group and solo exhibitions in the UK and the US, including at Tate Britain, London, Ikon Gallery, Birmingham, the Studio Museum, Harlem, New York and the Art Gallery of Ontario. Recent solo exhibitions include Foreign Body, Michael Werner Gallery, New York (2016), Backdrop, Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO), Toronto (2016), Dub Versions, New Art Exchange, Nottingham (2016), and Backdrop, CAM, St. Louis (2015). Recent group exhibitions include Jamaican Pulse: Art and Politics from Jamaica and the Diaspora, Royal West of England Academy, Bristol (2016), Making & Unmaking, Camden Arts Centre, London (2016), and Poetics of Relation, Pérez Art Museum, Miami (2015).
Residencies and Fellowships
- 2009: Artists in residence, Headlands Center for the Arts, Sausalito
- 2005: Artist in residence, Dulwich Picture Gallery, London
- 2002: Artist in residence, Caribbean Contemporary Arts, Port of Spain, Trinidad
- 1990–2000: Cheltenham Fine Art Research Fellow in Painting, Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education
- Hurvin Anderson: Foreign Bodies, Michael Werner Gallery, New York, 2016
- Hurvin Anderson: Backdrop, CAM, St. Louis, 2016. Texts by Duro Olowu and Jeffrey Uslip.
- Hurvin Anderson: Reporting Back, Ikon Gallery, Birmingham, 2013. Texts by Eddie Chambers, Jennifer Higgie and Jonathan Watkins.
- Hurvin Anderson: Subtitles, Michael Werner Gallery, New York, 2011. Text by Matthew Higgs.
- Hurvin Anderson a View of the Rio Cobre, Dulwich Picture Gallery, London, 2006. Text by Ian A. C. Dejardin.
- Frieze Magazine review and bio
- "Hurvin Anderson". Michael Werner Gallery. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "News – A Q&A with… Hurvin Anderson, painter". a-n The Artists Information Company. 19 July 2016. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- Adams, James (23 May 2016). "Hurvin Anderson presents scenes from neither here nor there at AGO". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Artists biography at Thomas Dane Gallery.
- "Turner Prize: Black painting pioneers break award age barrier", BBC News, 3 May 2017.