|Alma mater||Al-Azhar UniversityUniversity of Sarajevo|
3 July 1964|
Jelovče Selo, Gradačac, PR Bosnia and Herzegovina, FPR Yugoslavia
|Title||Grand Mufti of Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Period in office||November 2012|
Husein Kavazović (born July 3, 1964 in Jelovče Selo near Gradačac) is a Bosnian Islamic cleric and since September 2012 the new Grand Mufti (Reis ul-Ulema) of Bosnia and Herzegovina, after having been Mufti of Tuzla.
Son of Hasan and Saima Kavazović, Husein attended primary schools in Gradačac and then enrolled at the Gazi Husrev-Bey Madrasa in Sarajevo, where he graduated in 1983. He left Yugoslavia to study Islamic law in 1985-1990 at the Al-Azhar University in Cairo, then came back to defend his master thesis at the Faculty of Islamic Studies at the University of Sarajevo, in the field of Sharia law.
He then worked as imam, hatib and muallim (lecturer) at the Islamic congregations of Srebrenik and Gradačac, before serving as mufti of Tuzla from 1993 to 2012. In the early 1990s he was also elected member of the Council of the Islamic Community of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
In 2012 the Islamic Community elected him to succeed to Mustafa Cerić as 14th Bosnian Grand Mufti since 1882; at the vote in the Gazi Husrev-Beg Mosque, the main mosque of Sarajevo, he received 240 of 382 preferences. In his election program, Kavazović had pushed inter alia for the co-operation with other religious communities and a wider "incorporation of women into the work of the Islamic religious community".
In his speech in Switzerland made in May 2016, Kavazović said that it shouldn't be allowed for "Vlachs to govern Srebrenica", using the derogatory term for Serbs. He also said that Bosniaks only have two options: either to vote and confirm their sovereignty over Bosnia and Herzegovina, or to "loose blood every 20 or 30 years", adding that it is good to "defend ourselves [Bosniaks] against them [Serbs] with graves".
- Biografija reisu-l-uleme mr. Husein ef. Kavazovića (pristupljeno 5. septembra 2013. g.) Archived 2014-02-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Novi reisu-l-ulema mr. Husein ef. Kavazović". balkanpost.net. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Ko je Husein ef. Kavazović: Od borca s puškom u ruci do reisa". AKOS.ba. Archived from the original on 2015-04-26. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Biografija mr. Husein ef. Kavazović" (PDF). rijaset.ba. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Neuer religiöser Führer für Muslime in Bosnien". dw.com. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Gvardijan i reis: Biti čovjek u najtežim vremenima". balkans.aljazeera.net. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Uvjerljiva podrška Huseinu ef. Kavazoviću". dw.com. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Reis Kavazović: Da "vlah" ne vlada Srebrenicom
- Kavazović: Ne dozvolite da "vlah" vlada Srebrenicom ili da lijemo krv svakih 20 godina
- Balkan Insight
- Michael Martens: Gegen Rache und Küsse: Das neue Oberhaupt der bosnischen Muslime tritt sein Amt an, in: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 16 November 2012
- Meldung über die Wahl von Kavazović bei "Nachrichten.at" abgerufen am 15 December 2012
- Meldung der Deutschen Welle über die Wahl von Kavazović abgerufen am 15 December 2012
- Biografija reisu-l-uleme mr. Husein ef. Kavazovića (Rijaset Islamske zajednice u Bosni i Hercegovini)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Husein Kavazović.|
| Grand Mufti of Bosnia-Herzegovina
2012 - present