Hwang Jung-eum on January 5, 2013
January 25, 1985 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||University of Suwon - Theater and Film|
|Height||1.67 m (5 ft 5 1⁄2 in)|
|Revised Romanization||Hwang Jeong-eum|
Hwang Jung-eum debuted with K-pop girl group Sugar in 2002 as a lead vocalist, but left the group in 2004 to pursue a solo career. Hwang appeared as one of the recurring guests of the variety show Love Letter from 2004 to 2006, in which her onscreen pairing with Kim Jong-min became popular. She officially made her acting debut in the television drama The Person I Love in 2007.
In 2009, she and real-life boyfriend Kim Yong-jun (of boy band SG Wannabe) joined the second season of reality dating show We Got Married as the first real-life couple to be featured on the show. Later that year, Hwang rose to mainstream stardom when she appeared in the daily sitcom High Kick Through the Roof.
After her turn on High Kick, Hwang signed numerous advertising contracts, and in interviews she often tells the story of how she had just ₩487 (US$0.45) in her bank account when she started the show but walked away with ₩1.2 billion when it ended. She was later ranked 18th on Forbes Korea's Top 40 Celebrities in 2011, ranked 7th on the list of richest K-pop idols on Mnet's Idol Chart Show, and among the Top 7 Female Commercial Stars in Korea as compiled by Ilgan Sports.
In February 2010, Hwang hosted MBC's Star Dance Battle together with Kim Shin-young, Oh Sang-jin, and Shin Bong-sun. Later in December, she was also one of the co-hosts of the annual music program SBS Gayo Daejeon along with Super Junior's Heechul, CNBLUE's Jung Yong-hwa, and 2AM's Jo Kwon.
Hwang then began playing leading roles in television series. Among her notable TV dramas are 1970s epic Giant (2010), deaf romance Can You Hear My Heart (2011), and medical drama Golden Time (2012). In 2013, she starred in crime comedy Incarnation of Money, followed by hit melodrama Secret Love. This was followed in 2014 by 1980-1990s set period drama, Endless Love. In 2015, she reunited with some of her former costars, namely Ji Sung from Secret Love for the romantic comedy series Kill Me, Heal Me; then with Park Seo-joon from Kill Me, Heal Me and Go Joon-hee from Can You Hear My Heart for another romantic comedy, She Was Pretty.
Hwang was cast in her first big screen leading role in the 2015 romantic comedy film My Sister, The Pig Lady, which was screened at the 39th Montreal World Film Festival as part of their World Greats films selection.
Hwang has been named as goodwill ambassador for various programs and events, such as the Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival in 2010, Angel (1004) Day in 2010, the Korea Medical Assistance Foundation in 2011, AD Stars (Busan International Advertising Festival) in 2012, the international relief NGO Good Neighbors in 2013, and a Seoul campaign against social problems in 2014.
Hwang revealed in an interview that she plans to get married when she turns 33 or 34. Hwang dated Kim Yong-jun (of SG Wannabe) for nine years. They first met in 2005 when Hwang starred in the SG Wannabe music video, My Heart's Treasure Box. The couple then publicly confirmed their relationship in January 2008. Yonhap News Agency broke the news on 15 May 2015 that the couple had ended their relationship after she wrapped up the filming of Kill Me, Heal Me. Hwang later confirmed it in her interview with KBS2's Entertainment Relay.
|Banjun Drama "Love Virus"||SBS|
|Banjun Drama "Memories of Love"||SBS|
|2007||The Person I Love||Lee Jung-min||SBS|
|2008||The Last Scandal of My Life||Sa Ruby||MBC|
|Little Mom Scandal - Season 1||Na Hye-jung||CGV|
|Little Mom Scandal - Season 2||Na Hye-jung||CGV|
|East of Eden||Kim So-jung||MBC|
|2009||Two Wives||Song Ji-ho's blind date
|High Kick Through the Roof||Hwang Jung-eum||MBC|
|2010||Giant||Lee Mi-joo/Cha Soo-jung||SBS|
|2011||Can You Hear My Heart||Bong Woo-ri||MBC|
|High Kick: Revenge of the Short Legged||Hwang Jung-eum
(cameo, episode 106)
|2012||Golden Time||Kang Jae-in||MBC|
|Full House Take 2||Jang Man-ok/Michelle Jang||TBS/SBS Plus|
|2013||Incarnation of Money||Bok Jae-in||SBS|
|Potato Star 2013QR3||Noh Soo-dong's secretary
(cameo, episode 1)
|Secret Love||Kang Yoo-jung||KBS2|
|2014||Endless Love||Seo In-ae||SBS|
|2015||Kill Me, Heal Me||Oh Ri-jin||MBC|
|She Was Pretty||Kim Hye-jin||MBC|
|2009||The Relation of Face, Mind and Love||Eun-bin||Telecinema|
|2010||Death Bell 2: Bloody Camp||Park Eun-su|
|2015||My Sister, The Pig Lady||Jae-hwa|
|2004-2006||Love Letter||SBS||Recurring Guest|
|2005||X-Man||SBS||Guest, episodes 48-49|
|2007||Happy Together - Season 3||KBS2||Guest, episodes 133, 158, 317|
|2009||We Got Married - Season 2||MBC||Cast member|
|2010||It City: Fukuoka Together
with Hwang Jung-eum
|Running Man||SBS||Guest, episode 1|
|Strong Heart||SBS||Guest, episodes 25-26|
|Come to Play||MBC||Guest, episode 299|
|Haha-Mong Show||SBS||Guest, episode 6|
|Ultra Fashion with Hwang Jung-eum||MBC Every 1||Host|
|2012||Star Life Theater||KBS2||Guest, aired 9-12 January|
|2005||"My Heart's Treasure Box"||SG Wannabe||Chun Jung-myung, Bong Tae-gyu|
|"A Dreamy Conversation"|
|2006||"Craze"||SG Wannabe||Han Eun-jung|
|2007||"I Can't Help Liking You"||Black Pearl||Jung Woo|
|"Finally... It's You"|
|"Crazy Love Song"|
|2009||"It's a Lie"||Ock Joo-hyun||Kim Yong-jun|
|"Did You Really Hate My Love?"|
|2009-09-22||"N-Time"||Hwang Jung-eum feat. T-ara|
|2011-06-11||"Good Person"||Hwang Jung-eum||from Can You Hear My Heart OST|
|2008-09-26||"Going"||SeeYa feat. Kim Yong-jun,
Hwang Jung-eum, Mario
|from the album Brilliant Change|
|2009-06-12||"Couple"||Kim Yong-jun feat. Hwang Jung-eum||from We Got Married|
Awards and nominations
|2009||3rd Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot Couple with Kim Yong-jun||We Got Married - Season 2||Won|
|MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Female Newcomer in a Variety Show||Won|
|Best Female Newcomer in Comedy/Sitcom||High Kick Through the Roof||Won|
|2010||46th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress in TV||Won|
|3rd Korea Drama Awards||Most Popular Actress||Won|
|11th Korea Visual Arts Festival||Photogenic Award, TV Actress category||Won|
|1st Barbie & Ken Awards||Korean Barbie||N/A||Won|
|26th Korea Best Dresser Swan Awards||Best Dressed, TV Actress category||N/A||Won|
|23rd Grimae Awards||Best Actress||Giant||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Best Supporting Actress in a Special Planning Drama||Nominated|
|New Star Award||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Joo Sang-wook||Won|
|2011||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Can You Hear My Heart||Won|
|2012||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Golden Time||Nominated|
|2013||SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special||Incarnation of Money||Nominated|
|KBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Secret Love||Won|
|Netizen Choice, Actress||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Ji Sung||Won|
|2014||7th Korea Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Secret Love, Endless Love||Nominated|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama||Endless Love||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
- "Hwang Jung Eum reveals why she left Sugar". Allkpop. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- Ko, Hong-ju (13 January 2013). "Ayumi Denies Her Tweet Was Aimed at Hwang Jung Eum". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "WBW: 10 Things We Miss About Love Letter". Allkpop. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 2015-01-18.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (29 August 2014). "Hwang Jung Eum Signs Contract with C-JeS". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2015-01-18.
- Sunwoo, Carla (16 February 2012). "Kim Yong-jun bids fans farewell as he enters the military". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Hwang Jung Eum and Kim Yong Jun Prove Their Love Is Still Going Strong". Soompi. 29 June 2013. Retrieved 2015-02-07.
- "Hwang Jung Eum reveals that her relationship with Kim Yong Joon is still going strong". Allkpop. 28 October 2014. Retrieved 2015-02-07.
- "Hwang to Unveil First Solo Album". The Korea Times. 14 September 2009. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Hwang, In-hye (25 January 2010). "Hwang Jung-eum's Does Comic Parodies". KBS Global. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "Hwang Jung-eum Diagnosed With H1N1". The Korea Times. 26 January 2010. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Who Will Appeal Most to Advertisers?". The Chosun Ilbo. 20 February 2010. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Lim, Ju-ri; Sung, So-young (7 September 2011). "Producer pulls humor from pathos, giving TV a Kick". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Korea's Top Celebrities". Forbes. 31 March 2011. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "[News] Forbes Korea ranks SNSD first in 8th annual Korea’s Power Celebrity 40". Daily K Pop News. 28 February 2011. Retrieved 2015-02-02.
- "TOP 20 richest idols are...". Daily K Pop News. 19 May 2011. Retrieved 2015-01-09.
- "Ilgan" means "Daily" in Korean.
- "Who Are the Top 7 Male and Female CF Stars?". Soompi. 14 June 2011. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "[ESI ②] 가장 많은 광고에 출연한 女스타는 누구?". Ilgan Sports (in Korean). 13 June 2011. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "Preview MBC's Star Dance Battle for the Lunar New Year". Allkpop. 10 February 2010. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Choi, Jun-yong (30 December 2010). "Korean idols rock the stage for SBS' Gayo Daejun". 10Asia. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Han, Sang-hee (5 May 2010). "Drama Giant to show Korea's boom years". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Hwang Jung-eum's Acting Blossoms". The Chosun Ilbo. 11 December 2010. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Sunwoo, Carla (25 April 2012). "Hwang Jung-eum cast in new drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Oh, Jean (2 July 2012). "New medical drama 'cheery' and 'goofy'?". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Park, Hyun-min (3 July 2012). "Hwang Jung Eum Feels Lonely without Her Boyfriend". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Park, Hyun-min (8 July 2012). "Hwang Jung Eum Didn't Want to Observe Real Surgeries for Golden Time". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Hwang Jung-eum in Golden Time". MBC Global Media. 12 August 2012. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Jeon, Su-mi (26 September 2012). "Hwang Jung Eum Says She′ll Never Forget Golden Time". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Park, Hani (20 February 2013). "Hwang Jung Eum Advises Girl Group Actresses". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Actress Hwang Jung-eum Isn't Afraid of Criticism". The Chosun Ilbo. 16 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- Oh, Jean (11 September 2013). "Hwang Jung-eum ready for her close-up". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- Ock, Hyun-ju (1 January 2014). "Actress Hwang Jung-eum gives tearful speech". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Kim, Hee-eun (13 May 2014). "Hwang Jung-eum joins Endless Love". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
- "Hwang Jung-eum Looks for More Variety in Acting Parts". The Chosun Ilbo. 15 November 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-17.
- "Hwang Jung Eum Wants to Act with Ji Sung Again after She Is Married". Soompi. 15 March 2015. Retrieved 2015-03-17.
- Kim, Yeon-ji (19 March 2015). "Hwang speaks candidly on Kill Me". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2015-03-26.
- "Hwang Jung-eum, Park Seo-joon to star in She Was Pretty". The Korea Times. 30 July 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Ho, Stewart (2012-10-22). "Hwang Jung Eum Returns to the Big Screen with Pig-Like Woman". enewsworld. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- "The World Greats Section of the MWFF Presents New Films by Noted Directors". Montreal World Film Festival. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- "Hwang Jung-eum to Promote Puchon Film Fest". The Chosun Ilbo. 15 June 2010. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "AD STARS selects ambassador". Dynamic Busan. 16 August 2012. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "Hwang Jung-Eum, taking care of alienated neighbors in the global village". Innolife. 6 January 2013. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "Actress Hwang Jung-eum poses after being appointed promotional ambassador for a campaign against social problems". The Chosun Ilbo. 7 March 2014. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Lee, Yousun (16 March 2015). "Hwang Jung-eum reveals marriage plans". Asia Today. Retrieved 2015-03-17.
- Jung, Yeawon (5 January 2015). "Hwang Jung Eum Fought with Boyfriend Kim Yong Jun and Hasn't Been Contacting Him". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Jung, Yeawon (31 January 2015). "Hwang Jung Eum Says Boyfriend Kim Yong Jun is Also Her Best Friend". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- "SG워너비, 영화 '얄개시대' 패러디해 뮤직비디오 제작". Sports Chosun (in Korean). 9 September 2005. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "SG Wannabe's Kim Yong Joon wants some Sugar". Allkpop. 14 January 2008. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- 황정음-김용준, 교제 9년만에 결별…박수진과 다른 행보. Yonhap (in Korean). 15 May 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
- "Hwang Jung Eum and Kim Yong Joon Officially End Their 9-Year Relationship". Soompi. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
- Jones, Julie (15 May 2015). "Hwang Jung Eum Breaks Up With Longtime Boyfriend Kim Yong Joon". KDramaStars. Retrieved 2015-05-20.
- "Hwang Jung Eum Addresses Breakup with Kim Yong Joon During Interview as News Breaks". Soompi. 16 May 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-20.
- Park, Hyun-min (4 March 2012). "Kim Bum and Hwang Jung Eum to Cameo on High Kick 3". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Hwang Jung-Eum, Potato Star first episode cameo.. reunion with Lee Sun-Jae". Innolife. 15 September 2013. Retrieved 2015-02-06.
- Also aired on SBS.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hwang Jung-Eum.|
- Hwang Jung-eum at C-JeS Entertainment (Korean)
- Hwang Jung-eum on Instagram (Korean)
- Hwang Jung-eum on Facebook (Korean)
- Hwang Jung-eum on Sina Weibo (Chinese)
- Hwang Jung-eum at HanCinema
- Hwang Jung-eum at the Internet Movie Database