|• Revised Romanization||Hwaseong-si|
Location in South Korea
|Administrative divisions||4 eup, 9 myeon, 13 dong|
|• Total||689.48 km2 (266.21 sq mi)|
(December 31, 2016)
|• Density||929.53/km2 (2,407.5/sq mi)|
Hwaseong (Korean pronunciation: [hwa.sʌŋ]) is a city in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. It has the largest area of farmland of any city or county in Gyeonggi Province. Seoul Subway Line 1 passes through Hwaseong, stopping at Byeongjeom Station.
On November 27, 2007 the city was chosen as the site for the future Universal Studios South Korea theme park. Originally set to open in 2016, it will be the world's largest Universal Studios theme park, being larger than all the other four combined. The US$3.1 billion park is expected to create at least 58,000 new jobs. In 2014, the project was put on hold. The plan was restarted in 2015, and K-Water (Korean Water Resources Corporation) was chosen as a business partner. Universal Studios South Korea is projected to open in 2021.
Hwaseong city is located in the western area of the Korean Peninsula. The temperatures in winter are low along the coast since it is located in the lower plains and close to the Yellow Sea (West Sea), where the water is shallow. Additionally, Siberian air flows directly into the western flatlands of the Korean peninsula, making several areas colder.
Hwaseong is populated by 49% male South Korean citizens, 46% South Korean females, and 5% foreign residents. With 236,241 homes, there are on average 2.8 people per registered place of residence in the city. With the exceptions of Byeongjeom 2-dong, Dongtan 2-dong and Dongtan 3-dong, there is a larger number of males than females in every division of the city.
Hwaseong has 4 towns (eup), 9 townships (myeon) and 13 neighborhoods (dong). Each eup and myeon is further divided into villages (ri). In October 2014, Namyang-dong was downgraded to an eup- the first case in South Korea. "Hwaseong is old name of Suwon 'Hwaseong' castle built by king Jeonjo of Yi dynasty. West area mainly called Namyang, East area called new city of Byeongjeom and Dongtan 1 new city. East side new city is under construction as Dongtan 2 city with 300,000 population smart city including SRT Dongtan high speed rail station, Ease side of Gyeongbu expressway in the Hwaseong East area started operation since December 2017. West Hwaseong is segrated by Seohae expressway from Ansan to Pyeongtaek port.
|Place||Population (2016.06.30)||Household||Area (km2)|
Many special products are sold in the Hwaseong area that are different from other regions of Gyeonggi-do. There are many facilities that grow products ranging from honey melons to herbs. Additionally, meat and dairy products are also available. Hangwa is also made by local companies as a specialty.
- Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
- Weihai, Shandong, China
- Wujiang District, Suzhou, Jiangsu, China
- Phú Thọ Province, Vietnam
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2004-12-04. Retrieved 2004-12-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Will New Universal Studios Be Viable?". 20 January 2010. Archived from the original on 24 January 2010.
- "Universal Studios picks South Korean theme park site". Archived from the original on 2010-01-22.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2010-10-12.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Climate
- 2016년 인구현황. Hwaseong City Council. Archived from the original on 2016-07-10. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hwaseong.|
- "2015년 인구주택총조사 전수집계결과 보도자료" [2015 Population and Housing Census]. Statistics Korea.