|Hypermedia/Time-based Structuring Language|
|First published||November 1, 1992|
|Latest version||Edition 2|
|License||ISO Sales Agreement|
HyTime (Hypermedia/Time-based Structuring Language) is a markup language that is an application of SGML. HyTime defines a set of hypertext-oriented element types that, in effect, supplement SGML and allow SGML document authors to build hypertext and multimedia presentations in a standardized way.
- HTML is an application of SGML for hypertext document presentations, that assigns specific semantics and processing expectations to a fixed set of element types.
- XML defines a simplified subset of SGML that focuses on providing an open vocabulary of element types for data modeling and establishes precise expectations for how the marked-up data is read and subsequently fed to another software application for further processing, but does not assign semantics to the element types or establish expectations for how the data is processed.
- XLink was intended as a simplified version of HyTime for use in the XML world, but has not seen much adoption.
- Work on applying HyTime to back-of-book indexes eventually led to the development of Topic Maps, which eventually became far more successful in its own right than HyTime ever was.
The HyTime standard itself is ISO/IEC 10744, first published in 1992 and available from the International Organization for Standardization. It was developed by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34 (ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee 1, Subcommittee 34 - Document description and processing languages).
- Steven DeRose and David Durand, "Making Hypermedia Work: A User's Guide to HyTime," Kluwer Academic Publishers 1994 (ISBN 0-7923-9432-1).
- Goldfarb, Charles F. (1994-06-02). "A Brief History of the Development of SMDL and HyTime". SGML Source Home Page. Retrieved 2021-04-06.
- "ISO - ISO/IEC 10744:1992 - Information technology — Hypermedia/Time-based Structuring Language (HyTime)". ISO. Edition 1. ISO. 1992. Retrieved 2021-04-06.
- "ISO - ISO/IEC 10744:1997 - Information technology — Hypermedia/Time-based Structuring Language (HyTime)". ISO. Edition 2. ISO. 1997. Retrieved 2021-04-06.
- "ISO - Terms and conditions - Licence Agreement". ISO. 2016-11-28. Retrieved 2021-04-06.
- ISO. "Standards by ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34 – Document description and processing languages". Retrieved 2019-12-27.
- ISO/IEC 10744:1992 - Information technology -- Hypermedia/Time-based Structuring Language (HyTime)
- Robin Cover's HyTime resource list
- ISO/IEC 10744 Amendment 1 - an amendment to ISO/IEC 10744:1997 Annex A.3
- Standards: HyTime: A standard for structured hypermedia interchange by Charles Goldfarb, from IEEE Computer magazine, vol. 24, iss. 8 (Aug. 1991), pp. 81–84
- A Brief History of the Development of SMDL and HyTime