This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (February 2017)
Location of Monti Iblei.
|Elevation||986 m (3,235 ft)|
|Location||Province of Ragusa, Province of Syracuse, Sicily, Italy|
|Easiest route||mountain walk from the road at Buscemi|
The Hyblaean Mountains (Italian: Monti Iblei) is a mountain range in south-eastern Sicily, Italy. It straddles the provinces of Ragusa, Syracuse and Catania. The highest peak of the range is Monte Lauro, at 986 m.
The range is composed of white limestone rocks, characterized by Karst topography. Originally a plateau, rivers have eroded the landscape, forming numerous deep canyons. In the coastal area sandstone is also present. In some areas, such as that of Monte Lauro (once part of a submerged volcanic complex), volcanic rocks are also present. The hyblaean area is characterized by a high seismic risk.
The Hyblaean Mountains are characterized by gentle slopes, interrupted by sharp valleys. In the central area are numerous woods which are intermingled with dry stone walls of typical of south-eastern Sicily. The more populated coastal area is characterised by terraced hills with Mediterranean vegetation, rising up to a plateau cultivated by olive trees, vines, citrus fruit and almonds. Other crops include grain and maize.
Hyblaean Mountains host the archeological remains of the medieval casteles of Ferla, Buscemi and Cassaro. Their discovery is relatively recent and mainly due to the archeoligocal campaign held in the area from 2011 to 2013.
The main peaks of the Monti Iblei are:
- Monte Lauro 986m
- Monte Casale 910m
- Monte Arcibessi 907m
- Serra Brugio 870m
- Monte Raci 610m
- Monte Racello 530m
- Monti Climiti 410m
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-05-13. Retrieved 2008-07-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Santino Alessandro Cugno (2015). Esperienze di archeologia pubblica nella Sicilia sud-orientale. Il progetto Lungo le tracce di Paolo Orsi per lo studio e la valorizzazione dei castelli medievali dell'altopiano ibleo (SR) [Public archaeology experiences in south-eastern Sicily. The project “Lungo le tracce di Paolo Orsi” (On Paolo Orsi’s trail), for the study and enhancement of medieval castles in the hyblean area (SR)] (PDF). Il Capitale Culturale: Studies on the Value of Cultural Heritage (in Italian). pp. 251–274. doi:10.13138/2039-2362/1026. ISSN 2039-2362. Archived from the original on April 27, 2016 – via [https://archive.is/wip/PzZns DOAJ.
- "Fiume Anapo". Fiumi.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Fiume Irminio". Fiumi.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Fiume Tellaro". Fiumi.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Fiume Cassibile Cava Grande". Fiumi.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Fiume Ippari". Fiumi.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Torrente Modica". Fiumi.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Torrente Tellesimo". Fiumi.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- Grandi Montagne - Sicilia. 2007.