Hybrid Theory (EP)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Hybrid Theory EP|
|EP by Hybrid Theory|
|Released||May 1, 1999|
|Genre||Nu metal, rap rock, alternative hip hop|
|Producer||Mike Shinoda, Andrew Murdock|
|Linkin Park non-studio album chronology|
Hybrid Theory is the first EP by Hybrid Theory, a previous name of the band Linkin Park. The album was recorded and self-released in May 1, 1999 through Mix Media. Later that year, the band changed its name to Linkin Park and Hybrid Theory was re-mixed and remastered for another limited release in 2001 (with minor changes) in the credits and artwork for members of Linkin Park's fan club. Only about 1,000 copies were pressed and released. Original versions of the EP are hard to find and because of this; many bootleg or fake pressings of it have been sold on websites such as eBay, and Amazon.
The financing for the original pressing was obtained through a publishing deal with Zomba Music Publishing after one of its representatives, Jeff Blue, heard the band playing at the Whisky a Go Go. Initial sales were merely a handful but the band persisted. They began plugging the album in chat rooms and sending free copies to anyone who expressed interest. An informal 'street team' developed from the on-line community to spread the music. With Dave Farrell's temporary departure from the band to perform with Tasty Snax, Kyle Christener took over the bass position. However, he did not stay for long and did not take part in the band's debut album.
There is an untitled hidden track placed at the end of the EP, sometimes referred to as "Ambient" or "Secret". This song served as a basis for the song "Session" on Linkin Park's second album, Meteora.
Some songs included on the EP appeared in later releases by Linkin Park. "Step Up" appeared on the "In the End, Pt. 2" single. Samples from that song are also featured in the remix for "Cure for the Itch", titled, "Kyur4 TH Ich" on Linkin Park's Reanimation remix album, and The X-Ecutioners' "It's Goin' Down". "And One" and "Part of Me" were included on the 2008 Linkin Park compilation EP Songs from the Underground, released exclusively through Best Buy. A re-recorded version of "High Voltage", with a different chorus and some new lyrics, appears on the "One Step Closer" single and as a bonus track as well as on some versions of Linkin Park's debut album. Evidence's remix, featuring Pharoahe Monch and DJ Babu, appears on Reanimation. During the 2004 edition of that year of the Projekt: Revolution, the band played live a medley of "Step Up", "Nobody's Listening" (from Meteora) and "It's Goin' Down", later registered on the LP Underground 4.0. The track "Announcement Service Public" from LP Underground 6.0 is a remix of the secret track known as "Ambient". Also, the name Hybrid Theory was later used as the title of Linkin Park's debut studio album.
The LPU launched with a US$25 price tag for local people in the United States, and $40 for international fans. The first 500 people who joined the LPU had their Hybrid Theory EP autographed by the band. Later, the Reanimation DVD was sent out as a Christmas present.
- CD: "Hybrid Theory EP" reissue.
- T-shirt: Mike Shinoda designed shirt with the Winged Soldier from the Hybrid Theory album.
- LPU 1.0 Exclusive Merchandise
- LPU Hoodie (M, L, XL, XXL) - $31.98
- LPU T-shirt (M, L, XL, XXL) - $15.98
- LPU Mousepad - $6.40
- Other package contents:
- Sticker and patch
- Membership card
- Band picture
- Introductory letter written by the band
- 4 newsletters mailed out in the course of the year.
|1.||"Carousel"||Mike Shinoda, Joe Hahn, Brad Delson, Chester Bennington, Rob Bourdon||3:00|
|2.||"Technique (short)"||Shinoda, Hahn||0:40|
|3.||"Step Up"||Shinoda, Hahn, Delson||3:58|
|4.||"And One"||Shinoda, Hahn, Delson, Bennington, Bourdon||4:34|
|5.||"High Voltage"||Shinoda, Hahn, Delson||3:30|
|6.||"Part of Me
I. Part of Me
II. Instrumental filler (bips)
III. Ambient (Session Demo)" ("Ambient" begins at 9:58)
|Shinoda, Hahn, Delson, Bennington, Bourdon||12:44|
- Hybrid Theory
- Rob Bourdon – drums
- Joe Hahn – turntablist, sampling, programming
- Kyle Christner - bass guitars
- Brad Delson - lead guitar
- Chester Bennington – vocals
- Mike Shinoda - vocals, rhythm guitar, keyboard, programming
- Mike Shinoda – producer, mixing, cover art, art direction
- Mudrock – producer and mixer for the tracks "Carousel", "And One" and "Part of Me"
- Pat Kraus – mastering
- Joe "Mr." Hahn – cover art for reissue (LP Underground 1.0)
- Saulmon, Greg (2006). Linkin Park; Contemporary musicians and their music. The Rosen Publishing Group. pp. 19–20. ISBN 9781404207134. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- eeggs.com (2005-06-14). "Part of Me (Linkin Park) Easter Egg - Hidden Track in Part of Me by Linkin Park!". Eeggs.com. Retrieved 2012-02-23.