Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A hybrid sport is one which combines two or more (often similar) sports in order to create a new sport, or to allow meaningful competition between players of those sports.
- Bossaball - a hybrid sport combining elements of volleyball, association football, gymnastics, and Capoeira, played on a field with 3 bases, there is a trampoline at the third base along with a net. Allowing players to bounce high to spike or touch the ball and touch it with any part of the body, especially arms and hands
- Chess boxing – a hybrid sport which combines the sport of boxing with games of chess in alternating rounds. Chess boxing fights have been organized since early 2003. The sport was started when Dutch artist Iepe Rubingh, inspired by fictional descriptions of the sport in the writing of Enki Bilal, organized actual matches. The sport has become increasingly popular since then. To succeed players must be both skilled chess players and skilled boxers.
- Circle rules football - a hybrid of association football, volleyball, basketball, wrestling, and Rugby, with a goal located on the center of circle field.
- Composite rules shinty-hurling – The Irish sports of hurling or camogie combined with the Scottish sport of shinty.
- Composite rules Softball-Baseball - a hybrid bat-and-ball sports which combines the elements of Baseball and Softball, played on the large identical baseball diamond with the larger ball, ten rather than nine innings, and both underarm and overarm pitchings.
- Football tennis – a hybrid of association football, volleyball and tennis
- Footgolf - a hybrid of association football and golf
- Footvolley – a hybrid of association football and volleyball
- Hurlacrosse - a hybrid of hurling and lacrosse
- Hybrid martial arts - a full contact individual combat sports which allowed to use the wide range of all aspects and techniques of several different martial arts and combat sports.
- Hybrid rugby - a hybrid of rugby union and rugby league.
- International rules football – a combination of Gaelic football and Australian rules football. The International Rules Series, an annual series of two games between representative teams from Ireland and Australia, attracted sell-out crowds during its 2006 edition.
- Korfball – several claims that it was developed as a hybrid of netball and basketball to enable play between teams of mixed gender. Despite the origins of korfball, today it does facilitate exactly that purpose.
- Tennis polo - a hybrid of tennis, soccer, field hockey, handball, hurling, and polo
- Teqball - a hybrid of table tennis and soccer
- Austus – a combination of American football and Australian rules football played during World War II. However, this hybrid sport has not been recorded as having been played since the war.
- Iomain - a variation of shinty-hurling, using a compromise stick, piloted once in 2013.
- Universal football – a combination of rugby league and Australian rules football trialed briefly in the early 20th century.
- "Bossaball: the volleyball, football and gymnastics cross-over". inews.co.uk. Alex Nelson. 6 January 2017. Retrieved 13 December 2020.
- "ShieldSquare Captcha". validate.perfdrive.com. Sayon. Retrieved 13 December 2020.
- "Hybrid of Scots Shinty and Irish Hurling created". www.scotsman.com. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2020.
- "A Guide to Disc Golf from the PDGA". Professional Disc Golf Association. 9 October 2008. Retrieved 13 December 2020.