The Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet
|The Hyderabad Public School
ద హైదరాబాద్ పబ్లిక్ స్కూల్
|Begumpet, Hyderabad, Telangana
|Type||Public school (privately funded)|
|Established||1923 by H.E.H. Nizam VII of Hyderabad|
|Enrollment||3200 (PP1 - 12)|
|Campus||152 acres (89 acres of which allotted by H.E. Lady Viqar-ul-Umara)|
The Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet (HPS, Begumpet) is a privately funded public school in Hyderabad, Telangana, India. It was established in 1923 as Jagirdars College by the Seventh Nizam of Hyderabad, Sir Osman Ali Khan, and served as a school exclusively for the sons of nawabs, jagirdars and other aristocrats and elites. It was renamed as the Hyderabad Public School in 1951 after the Zamindari system was abolished in 1950. It is on a 152-acre (0.62 km2) campus with buildings ranging from the Deccani Osmanian architecture to the contemporary style of architecture.
Children are schooled from the pre-primary stage to the 12th standard (ages 3 to 17). The school is affiliated with the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (ICSE, ISC). The school is managed by the Hyderabad Public School Society and the Board of Governors.
The student body is divided into four houses named after famous institutions and universities of the ancient Indian subcontinent.
- Football (team)
- Basketball (team)
- Tennis (individual)
- Debate (team)
- Quiz (team)
71th Independence Day celebrations: The HPS rang in India's 71st Independence Day with patriotic fervour. The occasion was marked by a rendition of inspiring patriotic songs and a dance drama depicting the freedom struggle. The students of the Primary Wing conducted the celebrations with enthusiasm. The programme commenced with the Senior and Primary School choir which belted out some soul stirring numbers reminding listeners of the hardships faced and sacrifices made by the freedom fighters for achieving what Indians proudly enjoy today - an India free from the shackles of the British. The Vice Principal, Latha Shankar, in her message urged the children to take a pledge of tolerance and to deal with adversities.
ASISC Art Competition 2017: The annual ASISC Art Competition was held at Sri Aurobindo Public School on 29 July. Vaishnavi V. C. of class 12 and Vijaya Sindoori K of class 10 of the Hyderabad Public Begumpet participated. Vaishnavi was judged the winner and was to represent the state at the national level later in the year.
Haritha Haram 2017: Telangana Haritha Haram was formally launched by the Telangana Chief Minister Sri. K. Chandrasekhar Rao. It started on 3 July 2015. It is a flagship programme of the government envisaging to increase the present 24% tree cover in the state to 33% of the geographical area of the state. The main agenda of this programme is to plant 230 crore of plants in Telangana. 100 cadets of the NCC Army Wing (Junior Division Boys Cadets and Junior Wing Girls Cadets) joined the Chief Minister's drive and planted Neem and Deodar saplings near the New Science Block of the school on 29 July.
Freshers Day 2017: HPS has the tradition of welcoming the freshers in a grand, warm and fun filled style. Camaraderie is an integral part of the eaglets. This party is mainly held to break the ice and become one big eagle family. This year the Freshers party for class 11 2017-18 was held on 29 July. The event started with a musical performance by David and Vaishnavi of class 12, followed by a dance by the students of class 12. There was a ramp walk by class 11 students.
Sensitisation of Drug Abuse: A programme on sensitising parents about the menace of drug abuse was conducted on July 15, 2017 in Shaheen Hall. The Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet along with Hope Trust took an initiative to address the issue. The therapist of Hope Trust Raisa Luther spoke about different drugs prevalent in the society, the vulnerability of teenagers and the consequences of substance abuse. Similar sessions were conducted separately for the students of classes 8 to 12.
Celebration of Bastille Day: The Hyderabad Public School celebrated the French National Day on July 14, 2017. The chief guests for the occasion were the Director of Alliance Francaise Ande Emilie, and Mini Niani, the Cultural Programme Head witness. Students gave speeches in French, sang and organised a quiz. The French flag was painted on every child's face and the highlight of the celebration was the screening of Tintin in French with English subtitles.
Graduation ceremony 2017: The Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet organized a graduation ceremony for the batch of ISC 2017 on Saturday, 1 July, 2017 in the Shaheen to celebrate the graduation of the Eagles of class XII. The chief guest for the day was Prof (Dr.) R. Venkata Rao, Vice Chancellor, National Law School of India University, Bengaluru. In his address he congratulated the young eagles on their scholastic achievements and urged them to seek grander pinnacles in life. He gave away gold medals, book prizes, and diplomas, and wished the students a bright and prosperous future. Latha Shankar, Principal FAC said that the ceremony was truly a celebration of the achievements of the students, leading them on the path of a progressive career that enabled them with confidence and zeal. The valedictorian speeches were delivered by the highest aggregate achievers Gayathri Bandi and Kinjal Sharma, Science and Commerce toppers respectively.
Satya Nadella's visit: Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft and an alumnus of the school, visited on 23 February, 2017 to inaugurate the Turner Library and Ramandeep Kaur Samra Center for Performing Arts. He was warmly received by the Board of Governors. He relived his student life by playing with the present cricket team of the school.
Winner of Young Chef IIHM-2017: Trisha Reddy, the winner of IIHM Young Chef India schools 2017, was felicitated on June 27, 2017. The chief guest for the day was Dr. Suborno Bose, the chairman and chief mentor of IIHM. The competition was supported by Incredible India, Ministry of Tourism and organized by International Institute of Hotel Management. Trisha Reddy, a student of Class 12 D of the Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet, was announced as the winner. She took home the title and a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh, over 30,000 students from over 3000 schools in 40 cities. Reddy wishes to donate a part of her prize money to a blind school in Hyderabad.
Road safety: Naresh Raghavan, a safety advocate who wrote Top Driver Car and Bike Driving Handbook, gave a talk on road safety to the students of classes 11 and 12 on June 23, 2017. He said that the book was written with focused information by many years of research across different countries.
Yearly school events
- Sports Day - November/December
- Annual Concert - December/January
- Music Day - June 21st
- Investiture Ceremony - August
- The Hyderabad Literary Fest has been held in the school in January in the Hyderabad Public School since 2014.
- Talat Aziz, ghazal singer
- Harsha Bhogle, journalist and cricket commentator
- Karan Bilimoria, Baron Bilimoria, Chairman, Cobra Beer
- Umesh Chandra, IPS officer
- Nikhil Chinapa, MTV VJ
- Rana Daggubati, Telugu cinema actor
- Diana Hayden, Miss World 1997, Femina Miss India
- Bapi Raju Kanumuri, Member of Parliament (Narasapuram), Lok Sabha
- Ajay Kumar, Lok Sabha MP from Jamshedpur; retired IPS officer; doctor
- Ramendra Kumar, writer
- Yarlagadda Sumanth Kumar, Telugu cinema actor
- T K Kurien, Chief Executive Officer, Wipro
- Satya Nadella, Chief Executive Officer, Microsoft Corporation
- Akkineni Nagarjuna, Telugu cinema actor
- Shantanu Narayen, President and CEO, Adobe Systems
- Vivek Oberoi, Bollywood actor
- Akbaruddin Owaisi, M.L.A. (Chandrayangutta, Hyderabad); Leader of AIMIM in Legislative Assembly, Telangana
- Asaduddin Owaisi, M.P. (Hyderabad); President of AIMIM
- Ashok Gajapathi Raju, Member of Parliament Minister of Civil Aviation Govt. of India
- Pallam Raju, Minister of Human Resource Development; M.P. (Kakinada), Lok Sabha
- Kiran Kumar Reddy, Member of HPS Society; 16th Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, India
- YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, MLA, Leader of Congress Party
- Sridhar Tayur, Ford Distinguished Research Chair and Professor of Operations Management at Carnegie Mellon University; founder of SmartOps and OrganJet
- Ram Charan Teja, Telugu movie actor
- G. Vivek, ex-Member of Parliament (Peddapalli, Karimnagar District, TS), Lok Sabha
- Prem Watsa, CEO, Fairfax Financial Holdings
- "Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet". My-Telugu.com. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- T K Kurien: CEO, Wipro Ltd
- Satya Nadella: Executive Vice President, Cloud and Enterprise
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet.|