Hydroproject (Russian: Институт «Гидропроект», Gidroproekt) is a Russian hydrotechnical design firm. Based in Moscow, it has a number of branches around the country. Its main activities are design of dams, hydroelectric stations, canals, sluices, etc.
Hydroproject and its predecessor institutions have designed most of the hydroelectric dams and irrigation and navigation canals that have been built in the Soviet Union and Russia since the 1930s. They have designed a number of high-profile projects abroad as well, from India to Egypt to Canada. However, the main brainchild of the institute and its visionary founder, Sergey Yakovlevich Zhuk (Russian: Сергей Яковлевич Жук) - the rerouting of part of the water flow of Russia's northern and Siberian rivers to Kazakhstan and Central Asia - never came to fruition.
Hydroproject traces its history to the design departments of the Moscow Canal Construction Project (the 1930s), and the Hydroelectrostroy Trust (Трест “Гидроэлектрострой”), which was formed on October 9, 1930, to coordinate the construction of hydroelectric dams in the USSR during its First Five-Year Plan. The two organizations, after changing their names a number of times, were finally merged in 1962. Until 1950, they were within the ambit of the USSR Ministry of Internal Affairs; later, under the Ministry of Energy.
Since the 1990s, the institute operated as a subsidiary of RAO UES, Russia's national electricity company.
In the USSR
- Most of the hydro dams on the Volga and Kama; see Zhiguli Hydroelectric Station for a list.
- Angara River dams: Irkutsk Hydroelectric Power Station, Bratsk Hydroelectric Power Station, Ust-Ilimsk Hydroelectric Power Station.
- Yenisei River dams: Krasnoyarsk Dam, Sayano–Shushenskaya Dam
- Inguri Dam, Georgia
- Nurek Dam, Tajikistan
- Rogun Dam, Tajikistan
- Toktogul Dam, Kyrgyzstan
- Pļaviņas Hydroelectric Power Station, Latvia
- Riga Hydroelectric Power Plant, Latvia
- Kruonis PSP, Lithuania
Outside the USSR
- Capanda Dam, Angola
- Paraná Medio, Argentina (proposed)
- Jenpeg Dam, the first stage of Nelson River Hydroelectric Project in Manitoba, Canada
- Sanmenxia Dam, China
- Aswan Dam, Egypt
- Melka Wakena Dam, Ethiopia
- Tehri Dam, India
- Al-Bagdadi Dam, Iraq
- Haditha Dam, Iraq
- Dukan Dam, Iraq
- Limón Dam, Peru
- Iron Gate I Hydroelectric Power Station and Iron Gate II Hydroelectric Power Station on the Danube, Romania–Serbia
- Tabqa Dam (a.k.a. Euphrates Dam), Syria
- Tishrin Dam, Syria
- Yali Falls Dam, Vietnam
- Hòa Bình Dam, Vietnam
- Sơn La Dam, Vietnam
- Lai Châu Dam, Vietnam (under construction)
- Hydroproject website (English) (Russian)
- Lenhydroproject - About the institute - Creation history
- Dam list (Russian)
- Objects abroad (Russian)