|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hyfrydol (Welsh pronunciation: [həvˈrədɔl], meaning "cheerful") is a Welsh hymn tune which appears in a number of Christian hymnals in various arrangements. Composed by Rowland Prichard, it was originally published in the composer's handbook to the children's songbook Cyfaill y Cantorion ("The Singers' Friend"). Prichard composed the tune before he was twenty years old.
|Recording of Hyfrydol from Hymnary.org|
Metre and arrangement
The best-known arrangement is probably that by Ralph Vaughan Williams, which he originally produced for his revision of the English Hymnal; Vaughan Williams also composed some variations on this theme.
In addition to its use as a hymn tune, Hyfrydol has been arranged for brass bands and other instrumental groups.
A flexible tune with chord progressions, Hyfrydol has been used as a setting for William Chatterton Dix's hymn "Alleluia! Sing to Jesus!", Charles Wesley's "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" and "Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus", Francis Harold Rowley's "I Will Sing the Wondrous Story" (1886), John Wilbur Chapman's "Our Great Savior" ("Jesus, what a friend for sinners") (1910) and Philip Bliss's "I Will Sing of My Redeemer" (1876), as well as many other hymns from a variety of church traditions. The tune's persistence over time, as well as its ability to penetrate cultural barriers, indicates its notability. More recently, Peter Mayer adopted it for his song: Blue Boat Home.
Online hymns set to the tune
- John Wilber Chapman's "Jesus! What a Friend for Sinners" 
- The Latter-day Saint Hymn "In Humility, Our Savior" 
- "Alleluia! Sing to Jesus!" 
- Alternate arrangement of "Alleluia! Sing to Jesus!" from the Episcopal 1982 Hymnal 
- "Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus" 
- "Earth was Given as a Garden" 
- "Blue Boat Home" lyrics by Peter Mayer 
- "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" 
- "Lord of Glory, Who Hast Bought Us" 
- "I Will Sing the Wondrous Story" 
- "Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken" 
- "Ye that know the Lord is gracious"