Hymn Society in the United States and Canada
|Predecessor||The Hymn Society of America|
|Purpose||To encourage, promote, and enliven congregational singing|
|J. Michael McMahon, DMin|
President of the Board
|Benjamin Brody, DMA|
Immediate Past President
|Geoffrey C. Moore, PhD (cand)|
- believe that congregational song is an integral component of worship
- believe that the writing and singing of new texts and tunes needs to be promoted
- value learning about the origins of the words and music they sing
Members of The Hymn Society include clergy and worship leaders, church musicians, poets, composers, scholars, libraries and congregational singers of varied backgrounds and interests. Members of all denominations, races and cultures participate in the annual conferences and workshops sponsored by The Hymn Society. The Society produces a quarterly publication, The Hymn, a journal of research and opinion, containing practical and scholarly articles and reflecting the diverse cultural and theological identities of the organization's membership. In 1984 it published, on microfilm, the Dictionary of American Hymnody (edited by Leonard Ellinwood and Elizabeth Lockwood), an index to the texts of more than 8000 North American hymnals.
Center for Congregational Song
The Center for Congregational Song (CCS) is the resource and programmatic arm of The Hymn Society in the United States and Canada. Run by The Hymn Society and funded by Society members and donors, it works to fulfill The Hymn Society's mission to “encourage, promote, and enliven congregational singing". The current Director of the CCS is Brian Hehn.
- O'Brien, Elmer J. (2009-07-29). The Wilderness, the Nation, and the Electronic Era: American Christianity and Religious Communication, 1620-2000: An Annotated Bibliography. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 978-0-8108-6313-2.
- Foley, Edward; Bangert, Mark Paul (2000). Worship Music: A Concise Dictionary. Liturgical Press. ISBN 978-0-8146-5889-5.
- "Hymnology". hymnology.hymnsam.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-06-21.
- Floyd, James Michael; Sharp, Avery T. (2016-08-12). Church and Worship Music in the United States: A Research and Information Guide. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 978-1-317-27036-2.
- Mead, Rita H. (2001). "Hymn Society in the United States and Canada". Grove Music Online (8th ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/gmo/9781561592630.article.13655.
- "Center for Congregational Song Logo". Sing! The Center For Congregational Song. Retrieved 2020-06-21.
- "Center for Congregational Song launches as antidote to 'worship wars'". Religion News Service. 2017-10-12. Retrieved 2020-06-21.