Hymns for the Nonbeliever
|Hymns for the Nonbeliever|
|Studio album by Kisschasy|
|Released||21 July 2007|
|Genre||Alternative rock, Rock, Punk rock|
|Singles from Hymns for the Nonbeliever|
Hymns for the Nonbeliever is the second studio album by the Australian band Kisschasy, released on 21 July 2007. On 29 July, Hymns for the Nonbeliever debuted in the ARIA Album Charts at #5, holding its place on the chart for 9 weeks, 3 weeks longer than their first album United Paper People. The album is said to cover "global politics, animal cruelty, religion, love and deception". Lead singer Darren Cordeux has also stated, "If I was to describe the album in one word I would call it an "Awakening". An awakening to ourselves, our music, and to the world around us".
Lead singer and guitarist Darren Cordeux initially wrote about two albums worth of songs. "[they were] the rock'n'roll exciting album that ended up being recorded, but also a Lemonheads-y, '90s country-tinged songs. But we chose the first one because we wanted something hard-hitting and less polite than the first album"
The first single, "Opinions Won't Keep You Warm at Night", was released on 9 June 2007 and made its chart entry at #10 on the Aria Charts, spending 20 weeks in the Top 50. A second single, "Spray on Pants", was released on 10 November 2007, peaking at #47.
Kisschasy had some difficulty in recording Hymns for the Nonbeliever. The band said "All the drums are there but all the hardware's gone and the hardware's the stuff that holds up each drum and holds the cymbals and everything like that. We waited another whole day, wasted two days just waiting for the stuff to come in. So we ended up just finding just things from around the studio like little poles and sandbags just to hold up the drums and we recorded the drums that way for the whole album."
- "The Perfect Way to Meet" – 2:48
- "Opinions Won't Keep You Warm at Night" – 3:06
- "Real and Untouched" – 4:13
- "Strings and Drums" – 3:12
- "Ugly Birds in a Beautiful Cage" – 3:32
- "Tiny Plastic Cup" – 3:50
- "Factory" – 3:22
- "Spray on Pants" – 3:47
- "To Death" – 2:44
- "Ghost" – 3:46
- "My Bible Is a Scrapbook" (Backing vocals by Ryan Terry) – 4:00
- "Dissolution" – 3:39
- "Opinions Won't Keep You Warm at Night" (live) – 3:16 (iTunes bonus track)
- "Kisschasy - Hymns for the Nonbeliever (staff review)". Sputnikmusic. 2009-04-21. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Charts Australian Charts.com Retrieved: 28 January 2007
- Andrew Tijs - Undercover News Story Kisschasy Won't Keep You Warm Posted: 18 April 2007, Retrieved: 28 January 2008.
- "triple j - jmag". Abc.net.au. 2005-04-15. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Faker - Audio, Video, News - Take 40
- "triple j music news: Kisschasy battle in the studio". Abc.net.au. 2007-07-24. Retrieved 2012-02-23.