Type of site
|Blogazine, Art, Culture|
Hyperallergic is a Brooklyn-based arts online magazine. Founded by the art critic Hrag Vartanian and his husband Veken Gueyikian in October 2009, the site describes itself as a "forum for serious, playful, and radical thinking."
The New Yorker critic Peter Schjeldahl has described the site as "infectiously ill-tempered." Holland Cotter of the New York Times has also praised the site, crediting it with a revival in popular art criticism. The publication was cited by the TED blog as one of "100 Websites You Should Know and Use" in 2007. In 2018 Nieman Reports published an article outlining how Hyperallergic came to rival print art journalism, in which Sarah Douglas, the ARTnews editor in chief, said that Hyperallergic had reinvigorated art criticism.
Hyperallergic weekend edition
- Veken Gueyikian
- Editor-in-Chief: Hrag Vartanian
- News Editor: Benjamin Sutton
- Associate L.A. Editor: Elisa Wouk Almino
- Associate Editor: Seph Rodney
- Associate Editor: Yasmeen Siddiqui
- Allison C. Meier
- Claire Voon
- Carey Dunne
- Sarah Rose Sharp
- Producer: Tiernan Morgan
- Events Manager: Lola Arellano-Fryer
- Lyra Kilston (LA)
- An Xiao (SF)
- Wendy Xu
- Laura Mallonee
- Philip Hartigan (Chicago correspondent)
- Lucas Fagen (music reviews)
- Angelica Frey
- Paul D'Agostino
- Joseph Nechvatal (Paris correspondent)
- Alexander Cavaluzzo
- Emily Wilson
- Lita Barrie
- Alexis Clements
- Alicia Eler (Los Angeles correspondent)
- Alissa Guzman
- Megan N. Liberty
- Ellen Pearlman
- Edward M. Gomez
- Lauren Purje
- Mark Sheerin (Brighton, UK correspondent)
- Zachary Small
- Ari Akkermans
- Melissa Stern
- Ben Valentine (Vietnam correspondent)
- Daniel Larkin
- "About Hyperallergic". Hyperallergic. May 15, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Schjeldahl, Peter (December 2013). "The Art World: Art in 2013". The New Yorker. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Holland Cotter (January 17, 2014). "Lost in the Gallery-Industrial Complex Holland Cotter Looks at Money in Art". The New York Times.
- TED Blog August 3, 2007
- Hyperallergic, at Age 9, Rivals the Arts Journalism of Legacy Media: The online outline was ranked highly in a survey of 300 arts journalists by Mary Louise Schumacher, May 24, 2018
- Lombard, Amy (October 7, 2013). "HyperAllergic | 30 Tumblrs to Follow in 2013". Time. Archived from the original on November 11, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- "Hyperallergic Weekend". Hyperallergic. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
|This article relating to a magazine connected with the visual arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.