Type of site
|Blogazine, Art, Culture|
Hyperallergic is an online arts magazine, based in Brooklyn, NY. Founded by the art critic Hrag Vartanian and his husband Veken Gueyikian in October 2009, the site describes itself as a "forum for serious, playful, and radical thinking."
Hyperallergic is published by Veken Gueyikian.
Hyperallergic LABS, its Tumblr blog, was named by Time magazine as one of the “30 Tumblrs to Follow in 2013.” The New Yorker critic Peter Schjeldahl has described the site as "infectiously ill-tempered." Holland Cotter of the New York Times has also praised the site, crediting it with a revival in popular art criticism. The publication was cited by the TED blog as one of "100 Websites You Should Know and Use" in 2007. In 2018 Nieman Reports published an article outlining how Hyperallergic came to rival print art journalism, in which Sarah Douglas, the ARTnews editor in chief, said that Hyperallergic had reinvigorated art criticism.
- Editor-in-Chief: Hrag Vartanian
- Managing Editor: Eric Vilas-Boas
- Associate Editor: Elisa Wouk Almino
- Associate Editor: Seph Rodney
- Associate Editor: Yasmeen Siddiqui
- Associate Editor: Jasmine Weber
- Associate Editor: Carey Dunne
- Reviews Editor: Dessane Lopez Cassell
- Associate Editor, U.S. Southwest: Ellie Duke
- Associate Editor, Film & Documentary: Dan Schindel
Weekend Edition Staff
- Associate Editor: Natalie Haddad
- Associate Editor: Albert Mobilio
- Associate Editor: Thomas Micchelli
- Associate Editor: John Yau
- Wendy Xu
- Lyra Kilston (LA)
- An Xiao (SF)
- Hakim Bishara
- Sarah Rose Sharp
Regular contributing writers
- Dorian Batycka
- Alexander Cavaluzzo
- Bedatri D. Choudhury
- Alicia Eler
- Lucas Fagen
- Daniel Gerwin
- Edward M. Gomez
- Alissa Guzman
- Anthony Hawley
- Daniel Larkin
- Megan N. Liberty
- Colony Little
- Kirsten O'Regan
- Joseph Nechvatal
- Cassie Packard
- Michael Press
- Lauren Purje
- Laura Raicovich
- Renée Reizman
- Christine Ro
- Barry Schwabsky
- John Seed
- Mark Sheerin
- Jack Sjogren
- Melissa Stern
- Matt Stromberg
- Ben Valentine
- "About Hyperallergic". Hyperallergic. May 15, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Lombard, Amy (October 7, 2013). "HyperAllergic | 30 Tumblrs to Follow in 2013". Time. Archived from the original on November 11, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Schjeldahl, Peter (December 2013). "The Art World: Art in 2013". The New Yorker. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Holland Cotter (January 17, 2014). "Lost in the Gallery-Industrial Complex Holland Cotter Looks at Money in Art". The New York Times.
- TED Blog August 3, 2007
- Hyperallergic, at Age 9, Rivals the Arts Journalism of Legacy Media: The online outline was ranked highly in a survey of 300 arts journalists by Mary Louise Schumacher, May 24, 2018
|This article relating to a magazine connected with the visual arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.