Type of site
|Blogazine, art, culture|
Hyperallergic is an online arts magazine, based in Brooklyn, New York. Founded by the art critic Hrag Vartanian and his husband Veken Gueyikian in October 2009, the site describes itself as a "forum for serious, playful, and radical thinking".
Hyperallergic is published by Veken Gueyikian.
Hyperallergic LABS, its Tumblr blog, was named by Time magazine as one of the "30 Tumblrs to Follow in 2013". The New Yorker critic Peter Schjeldahl described the site as "infectiously ill-tempered". Holland Cotter of the New York Times suggested it could contribute to a needed "influx of new commentators who don’t mistake attitude for ideas". The publication was cited by the TED blog as one of "100 Websites You Should Know and Use" in 2007 [2013 update to the 2007 list]. In 2018, Nieman Reports published an article outlining how Hyperallergic came to rival print art journalism, in which Sarah Douglas, the ARTnews editor in chief, said that Hyperallergic had reinvigorated art criticism.
- Editor-in-chief & co-founder: Hrag Vartanian
- Senior editor: Hakim Bishara
- News editor: Valentina Di Liscia
- Editor: Natalie Haddad
- Assistant Editor: Sigourney Schultz
- Editorial Coordinator: Lakshmi Rivera Amin
- Editor: Albert Mobilio
- Editor: John Yau
- Staff Writer: Elaine Velie
- Staff Writer: Rhea Nayyar
- Staff Writer: Maya Pontone
- Senior Marketing Manager: Alexandra Bowditch
- Marketing Coordinator: Shari Flores
- Ad Ops Coordinator: Kristina Chang
- "About Hyperallergic". Hyperallergic. May 15, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Lombard, Amy (October 7, 2013). "HyperAllergic | 30 Tumblrs to Follow in 2013". Time. Archived from the original on November 11, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Schjeldahl, Peter (December 2013). "The Art World: Art in 2013". The New Yorker. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Holland Cotter (January 17, 2014). "Lost in the Gallery-Industrial Complex Holland Cotter Looks at Money in Art". The New York Times.
- TED Blog August 3, 2007
- Mary Louise Schumacher, "Hyperallergic, at Age 9, Rivals the Arts Journalism of Legacy Media: The online outline was ranked highly in a survey of 300 arts journalists", Nieman Reports, May 24, 2018
- "Isabella Segalovich".