Series logo during the NIS America era
Felistella (PS Vita)
|First release||Hyperdimension Neptunia|
August 19, 2010
|Latest release||Neptunia Virtual Stars|
August 6, 2020
Hyperdimension Neptunia (超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ, Chōjigen Geimu Neputyūnu, lit. "Super Dimensional Game Neptune") is a series of role-playing video games created and developed by Compile Heart and Idea Factory. The series debuted in Japan on August 19, 2010, with the video game of the same name for the PlayStation 3, later re-released as an enhanced remake under the name Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 for the PlayStation Vita. Two sequels, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, in addition to the remake titles for both of them and five spin-offs on the PlayStation Vita, have been released. Another sequel on the PlayStation 4, titled Megadimension Neptunia VII, was released in 2015. In addition, a remake for that game was released in 2017. Two spin-offs on the PlayStation 4 have been released. It has branched off into a manga, light novel and anime media franchise series.
An anime television series adaptation, titled Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Animation, aired in Japan between July and September 2013. An OVA, titled Hyperdimension Neptunia The Animation: Nepu no Natsuyasumi premiered on July 8, 2019.
Games within the series takes place in the world of Gamindustri (ゲイムギョウ界, Geimugyō-kai, a pun on ゲーム業界 Gēmu gyōkai, "game industry"), which is divided into four regions/nations which are each ruled by one CPU: Planeptune, Lastation, Lowee, and Leanbox. Each region is completely different from the others in appearance and atmosphere, with each representing a specific video game console. Lastation represents the PlayStation, Lowee represents the Wii, and Leanbox represents the Xbox, while Planeptune represents the cancelled Sega Neptune. In the beginning of the story, the four goddesses are fighting each other for "shares" in a war known as the Console War. Shares are the manifestation of the belief citizens put into their goddess, and without shares, a goddess dies. Because some of the games feature time and/or dimension travel there are slight differences in the settings for each title.
Prior to Q3 2009, Compile Heart was conceptualising a new RPG project centred upon character designs by Tsunako, with the intention of collaborating with a partner company. This game was originally planned to feature three princess sisters and a protagonist. However, the partnership deal fell out, and as a result the project plans were redesigned and eventually became "Neptunia" close to the end of 2009 following the completion of Trinity Universe's development. During the early stages of the project, the characters Noire and Blanc were originally coloured red and blue respectively, however their colour schemes were changed to black and white so that they could better fit in with the new game setting and plot.
The release of the first sequel to the original game, Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2, saw the introduction of a reworked game engine and the replacement of various components such as the battle system and dungeons, which were completely rebuilt from scratch. Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory later built on this, with the parts from mk2 which were considered "weak" by the developers removed and improved, eventually setting Victory as the foundation for the design of future titles within the series. Following Compile Heart's collaboration with David Production to produce the Neptunia television animation series, the developers were able to change their approach to direction and script-writing based on their experience with the anime development staff, which resulted in the changes to the narrative found in the Re;Birth games on PlayStation Vita.
Hyperdimension Neptunia is the first game within the series, with the name originally derived from the scrapped Sega Neptune which combined the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis and Sega 32X into one unit, originally scheduled for release in 1994 or 1995 before the project was dropped after the release of the Sega Saturn.
There are two sequels which have been released under the names Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. Another game, titled Hyperdimension Neptunia PP (神次元アイドル ネプテューヌPP, Kamijigen Aidoru Neputyūnu PP), was released on June 20, 2013 for the PlayStation Vita in Japan and it was released in the west in June 2014 as Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection, developed by Compile Heart, Idea Factory and Tamsoft.
During a streamed interview at Tokyo Game Show 2013, Idea Factory and Compile Heart announced that Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sisters Generation was under development,. Re;Birth 2 was released on March 20, 2014. Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (超女神信仰ノワール 激神ブラックハート, Chō Megami Shinkō Nowāru Geki-Shin Burakkuhāto) with Noire as the main character, was released on May 29, 2014.
On March 16, 2014, two new next-generation games were announced, titled Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (超次元アクション ネプテューヌU) and Megadimension Neptunia VII (新次元ゲイム ネプテューヌVII). Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed is an action game spin-off exclusively for the PlayStation Vita released on August 28, 2014 in Japan, developed by Tamsoft, whilst Megadimension Neptunia VII is a main series title for the PlayStation 4.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2020)
|2011||Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2|
|2012||Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory|
|2013||Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection|
|Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1|
|2014||Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sisters Generation|
|Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart|
|Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed|
|Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Generation|
|2015||Megadimension Neptunia VII|
|MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies|
|Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls|
|2017||Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online|
|Neptunia & Friends|
|Nep-Nep Connect: Chaos Chanpuru|
|Megadimension Neptunia VIIR|
|2018||Super Neptunia RPG|
|Choujijigen Game Neptune Re;Birth 1 Plus|
|2020||Neptunia Virtual Stars|
Hyperdimension Neptunia (2010)
Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 (2011)
Remade as Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sisters Generation released in 2014.
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (2012)
Remade as Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Generation released in 2014.
Megadimension Neptunia VII (2015)
Also has a VR port released in 2017.
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection (2013)
Idol-raising simulator game with rhythm and dating sim elements.
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (2014)
Turn-based tactical role-playing game which utilizes a battle grid.
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (2014)
Musou-type real-time action game.
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies (2015)
Multiplayer action game.
Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls (2015)
Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online (2017)
Neptunia & Friends (2017)
Nep-Nep Connect: Chaos Chanpuru (2017)
Super Neptunia RPG (2018)
2D side-scrolling action game. First title in the series to be developed outside Japan, and the first Neptunia title that was released on a Nintendo platform.
Neptunia Shooter (2019)
2D anime bullet hell game. First game to be exclusive to PC. Also the first game to be released on the same day worldwide. First game to be developed by Idea Factory International and THQ Nordic. First game to be published by Idea Factory in Japan instead of Compile Heart. It will be ported to PlayStation 5 alongside Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re★Verse.
Neptunia Virtual Stars (2020)
A hack 'n' slash game with rhythm elements.
|Choujigen Game Neptune: Megami Tsuushin|
|Magazine||Famitsu Comic Clear|
|Original run||November 2010 – December 2013|
|Hyperdimension Neptunia: High School|
|Illustrated by||Tsunako, Urimo|
|Published by||Hifumi Shobo|
|Imprint||Sakura no Mori Bunko|
|Original run||February 2, 2012 – present|
|Hyperdimension Neptunia TGS Hono no Futsukakan|
|Written by||Rentarow, Yayoi|
|Imprint||MF Bunko J|
|Published||May 25, 2013|
|Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Animation – Hello New World|
|Written by||Mikage Baku|
|Original run||June 2013 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Animation|
|Directed by||Masahiro Mukai|
|Written by||Shōgo Yasukawa|
|Original network||Tokyo MX|
|Original run||July 12, 2013 – September 27, 2013|
|Episodes||12 + OVA|
|Original video animation|
|Nepu no Natsuyasumi|
|Directed by||Masahiro Mukai|
|Written by||Shogo Yasukawa|
|Released||July 8, 2019|
A manga series based on the game titled Choujigen Game Neptune: Megami Tsuushin (超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ ~めがみつうしん~) began serialisation in November 2010 within the Famitsu Comic Clear.
A manga series illustrated by Mikage Baku which complements the television animation, titled Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Animation – Hello New World (超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ THE ANIMATION はろーにゅーわーるど), began serialisation within the June 2013 issue of Dengeki Maoh. A spin-off novel of the anime, titled Hyperdimension Neptunia TGS Hono no Futsukakan, was published by MF Bunko J and released May 25, 2013.
An anime adaptation, Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Animation (超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ THE ANIMATION, Chōjigen Geimu Neputyūnu Ji Animēshon lit. "Super Dimensional Game Neptune THE ANIMATION"), was produced by David Production of Japan and directed by Masahiro Mukai. Series composition and script writing are done by Shogo Yasukawa and a musical score composed by Hiroaki Tsutsumi, Kenji Kaneko and Masaru Yokoyama. Character designs are done by Hitomi Takechi, based on the original designs by Tsunako along with art direction by Masanobu Nomura and sound direction by Jin Aketagawa. The twelve-episode series aired on Tokyo MX on July 12, 2013 and were later aired on BS11, KBS, Sun TV and tvk then finished on September 27, 2013. The series was acquired by Funimation for online streaming in North America with both the English dub and the original Japanese dub with English subtitles. The opening theme is "Dimension tripper!!!!" by Nao and the ending theme is "Neptune☆Sagashite" (ネプテューヌ☆サガして) by Afilia Saga. "Go→Love&Peace" by Ayane is used as the ending theme of episodes 3 and 4, in addition to "Ito" (糸, literally "yarn") by Afilia Saga on episode 10. It was broadcast within the United States on Funimation Channel.
A new original video animation titled Nepu no Natsuyasumi was announced to be in production. Returning staff members include Masahiro Mukai as director, Hitomi Takechi as character designer, and Shogo Yasukawa as scriptwriter, with animation by studio Okuruto Noboru. It premiered on July 8, 2019.
The anime television series adaptation received a mixed response, with praise for its original story and humor revolving around video game industry in-jokes, and criticism for its use of melodrama.
Most of the original soundtracks created for the Neptunia series were composed by Kenji Kaneko, with additional composers for Megadimension Neptunia VII and later games. The first, titled Hyperdimension Neptunia Sound Track CD, was released on August 19, 2010, and was bundled with a Japanese Limited Edition of the game. The soundtrack for the second game contained 13 tracks and was released in Japan with the limited edition on August 18, 2011. It was later repackaged with the western limited release on February 28, 2012, which featured 18 tracks and was titled Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2: Sounds of Gamindustri. The soundtrack for Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory was released on August 30, 2012 with the Japanese Limited Edition and contained 16 tracks. Similar to the second game, the soundtrack was released overseas with the Limited Edition of the game with 24 tracks, titled Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory Sounds of that other Gamindustri. The Megadimension VII soundtrack, MEGA DIMENSION NEPTUNE VII Dream Edition DG-ROM, was included with the Japanese Dream Edition and released in a 50 track, 3 disc format on April 23, 2015. Its overseas release, MEGADIMENSION NEPTUNIA VII Official Soundtrack was included exclusively with the Limited Edition online, containing only 45 tracks over 2 discs. Most recently, the soundtrack for 4 Goddesses Online was released on February 9, 2017 with the Royal Edition of the game.
For each title in the Re;Birth series, the soundtracks were re-released following each game's initial release, usually with a few additional or missing tracks. Re;Birth 2's soundtrack, titled Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: SISTERS GENERATION ~ "Sisters' Melodies" Soundtrack CD was released exclusively on Idea Factory International's website with the Limited Edition of the game and contained 19 tracks from the game. Compile Heart and Idea Factory International later made the Re;Birth series available for the PC on the Steam platform, in which DLC included digital releases of the soundtrack for each game.
In addition to the game soundtracks, there have been CD single releases for the opening and ending themes for each game. The voice actresses for each character have also released individual singles, in which they perform original in-character songs. Various Drama CD series have also been released in which voice actors perform original episodes. The anime series also released singles for the opening and ending themes, alongside a drama CD and 7 special "Animation Processor" discs, which contained a variety of different audio media including songs, voice actor commentary, and drama episodes.
A compilation of the main vocal tracks from each game (including character songs) was released as a 5 disc series on August 27, 2014.
Mobile applications and casual games
An online mobile card game for Android and iOS titled Neptune Collection (ネプテューヌコレクション) was developed by Idea Factory and hosted by GREE starting from February 15, 2013. It is a collectible card game which involves social networking elements. The game's servers shut down on July 31, 2014.
Alarm clock applications and mobile skins/themes featuring Neptunia characters have also been released for Android and iOS.
- Ishaan (November 16, 2010). "Hyperdimension Neptunia Orbits Over Europe In March". Siliconera. Retrieved November 14, 2010.
- "【電撃PS】8月19日で『ネプテューヌ』は5周年！ 開発チームがネプ誕生とこの5年のエピソードを振り返る". Dengeki Online. August 19, 2015.
- "Dengeki Interview: Celebrating 5 Years of Neptunia, a Talk With Series' Creators". Niche Gamer. August 21, 2015.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia's Creator Dreams of a Fighting Game". kotaku.com. September 28, 2012. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Spencer . April 9, 2013 . 12:02pm (April 9, 2013). "Neptunia Idol Game's Story Is About The CPUs Vs. Idol Group MOB48". Siliconera. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "『ネプテューヌ』の新作『Re；Birth2（仮）』が開発進行中！ 『超女神信仰ノワール 激神ブラックハート』の続報も【TGS2013】" (in Japanese). ASCII Media Works. September 22, 2013. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- 2013-09-22, (TGS) 『ネプテューヌ』の新作『Re；Birth2（仮）』が開発進行中！ 『超女神信仰ノワール 激神ブラックハート』の続報も【TGS2013】 Archived September 27, 2013, at the Wayback Machine, Livedoor News
- 2013-11-12, Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 Reaches Vita In March, Siliconera
- "Two more Neptunia games announced for PS Vita". Gematsu. March 17, 2013. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "【速報】『ネプテューヌ』の新作が2作も!? 『超次元アクション ネプテューヌU』＆『新次元ゲイム ネプテューヌVII』が発表" (in Japanese). ASCII Media Works. March 16, 2014. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- 2014-04-08, Hyperdimension Neptunia U is a PS Vita game developed by the studio behind Senran Kagura, Gematsu
- 2014-06-16, Hyperdimension Neptunia VII confirmed for PlayStation 4, Gematsu
- 2014-09-20, Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Century announced for PS Vita, Gematsu
- 2014-09-20, PS Vita『神次次元ゲイム ネプテューヌRe；Birth3 V CENTURY』が発売決定！ 『ネプテューヌVII』最新情報も公開に【TGS2014】, Dengeki Online
- "【速報】PS Vita『ネプテューヌ』新作が発表！ 激次元でゾンビ相手にタッグバトル？". Dengeki Online (in Japanese). March 15, 2015. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- "【速報】PS Vita『超次元大戦 ネプテューヌVSセガハードガールズ 夢の合体スペシャル（仮）』発表！". Dengeki Online (in Japanese). March 15, 2015. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- "FOUR GODDES ONLINE CYBER DIMENSION NEPTUNE". www.play-asia.com. Retrieved December 24, 2016.
- "NepuNepu Connect: Chaos Champions is a free-to-play card battle game for PS Vita". Gematsu. July 26, 2016. Retrieved July 26, 2016.
- "Nep-Nep Connect: Chaos Chanpuru to end service on August 8". Gematsu. June 15, 2018. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- "Western studio to develop next Neptunia game, Brave Neptune". Destructiod. March 10, 2018. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- Dong, Bamboo. "Anime Spotlight Summer 2013 - The List". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- 2013-04-26, TV Anime “Hyperdimension Neptunia” Official Site Launches and PV Releases!, Tokyo Otaku Mode
- 2013-04-01, 「超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ」本格始動 公式サイトオープンにスタッフ情報やPV公開, animeanime.jp
- "David Production Makes Hyperdimension Neptunia the Animation". Anime News Network. December 27, 2012. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Funimation Adds Hal, 009 Re:Cyborg Films". Anime News Network. July 4, 2013. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Anime Ads Feature Ending Song". Anime News Network. July 10, 2013. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Franchise Gets New OVA". Anime News Network. March 30, 2019. Retrieved March 30, 2019.
- "New Hyperdimension Neptunia OVA's 1st 6 Minutes Streamed". Anime News Network. July 2, 2019. Retrieved July 2, 2019.
- 2013-11-12, Gamers are Bound to Get a Laugh or Two Out of Neptunia: The Animation, Kotaku
- "Kenji Kaneko VGMdb". VGMdb. March 24, 2017. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ サウンドトラックCD (Choujigen Game Neptune Sound Track CD)". VGMdb. August 19, 2010. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ mk2 オリジナルサウンドトラック (Choujigen Game Neptune mk2 Original Soundtrack)". VGMdb. August 18, 2011. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2: Sounds of Gamindustri". VGMdb. February 28, 2012. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "神次元ゲイム ネプテューヌV オリジナルサウンドトラックCD (Kamijigen Game Neptune Victory Original Soundtrack CD)". VGMdb. August 30, 2017. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory Sounds of that other Gamindustri". VGMdb. March 21, 2013. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "新次元ゲイム ネプテューヌV II Dream Edition DG-ROM (Megadimension Neptunia VII Dream Edition DG-ROM)". VGMdb. April 23, 2015. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "MEGADIMENSION NEPTUNIA VII Official Soundtrack". VGMdb. February 2, 2016. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "四女神オンライン CYBER DIMENSION NEPTUNE シチュエーションCD&サウンドトラックCD (CYBER DIMENSION NEPTUNE: 4 Goddesses Online Royal Edition SITUATION CD / SOUND TRACK CD)". VGMdb. February 9, 2017. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: SISTERS GENERATION ~ "Sisters' Melodies" Soundtrack CD ~". VGMdb. January 27, 2015. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "神次元ゲイム ネプテューヌV『もし女神が嫁だったら (ラブラブ）しちゃうかもしれない。』CD (Kamijigen Game Neptune Victory "Moshi Megami ga Yome dattara LoveLove Shichau Kamo Shirenai." CD)". VGMdb. August 30, 2012. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ シェアコンプリート ディスクス (Hyperdimension Neptunia Share Complete Discs)". VGMdb. August 27, 2014. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "ネプテューヌコレクション". compileheart.com. Retrieved March 7, 2015.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 1, 2015.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 1, 2015.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved December 1, 2015.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia PP: Producing Perfection". Metacritic.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 for PlayStation Vita Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 1, 2015.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 1, 2015.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: Sisters Generation for PlayStation Vita Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 1, 2015.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: Sisters Generation". Metacritic.
- "Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart for PlayStation Vita Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 1, 2015.
- "Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved April 21, 2017.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed for PlayStation Vita Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 1, 2015.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3: V Generation for PlayStation Vita Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved December 1, 2015.
- "Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3: V Generation". Metacritic.
- "Megadimension Neptunia VII for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "Megadimension Neptunia VII". Metacritic.
- "MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies". Metacritic.
- "MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies". Metacritic.
- "Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls". Metacritic.
- "Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls". Metacritic.
- "Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online". Metacritic.
- "Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online". Metacritic.
- "Neptunia & Friends". Metacritic.
- "Megadimension Neptunia VIIR for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 12, 2019.
- "Megadimension Neptunia VIIR". Metacritic.
- Metascore for Super Neptunia RPG on Nintendo Switch, retrieved April 1st, 2020
- Metascore for Super Neptunia RPG on Playstation 4, retrieved April 1st, 2020
- "Super Neptunia RPG". Metacritic. Retrieved July 24, 2020.
- "Neptunia Shooter". Metacritic.