In mathematics, the n-th hyperharmonic number of order r, denoted by , is recursively defined by the relations:
In particular, is the n-th harmonic number.
Identities involving hyperharmonic numbers
By definition, the hyperharmonic numbers satisfy the recurrence relation
In place of the recurrences, there is a more effective formula to calculate these numbers:
The hyperharmonic numbers have a strong relation to combinatorics of permutations. The generalization of the identity
where is an r-Stirling number of the first kind.
The above expression with binomial coefficients easily gives that for all fixed order r>=2 we have.
that is, the quotient of the left and right hand side tends to 1 as n tends to infinity.
An immediate consequence is that
Generating function and infinite series
The generating function of the hyperharmonic numbers is
The exponential generating function is much more harder to deduce. One has that for all r=1,2,...
An open conjecture
It is known, that the harmonic numbers are never integers except the case n=1. The same question can be posed with respect to the hyperharmonic numbers: are there integer hyperharmonic numbers? István Mező proved that if r=2 or r=3, these numbers are never integers except the trivial case when n=1. He conjectured that this is always the case, namely, the hyperharmonic numbers of order r are never integers except when n=1. This conjecture was justified for a class of parameters by R. Amrane and H. Belbachir. Especially, these authors proved that is not integer for all n=2,3,...
- John H., Conway; Richard K., Guy (1995). The book of numbers. Copernicus.
- Benjamin, A. T.; Gaebler, D.; Gaebler, R. (2003). "A combinatorial approach to hyperharmonic numbers". Integers (3): 1–9.
- Mező, István; Dil, Ayhan (2010). "Hyperharmonic series involving Hurwitz zeta function". Journal of Number Theory 130: 360–369. doi:10.1016/j.jnt.2009.08.005.
- Mező, István (2007). "About the non-integer property of the hyperharmonic numbers". Annales Universitatis Scientarium Budapestinensis de Rolando Eötvös Nominatae, Sectio Mathematica (50): 13–20.
- Amrane, R. A.; Belbachir, H. (2010). "Non-integerness of class of hyperharmonic numbers". Annales Mathematicae et Informaticae (37): 7–11.