The theater marquee at night in 2006.
|Disney California Adventure|
|Opening date||February 8, 2001|
|Designer||Walt Disney Imagineering|
The Hyperion Theater is located at Disney California Adventure, in the Hollywood Land area, adjacent to the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. It is currently presenting Frozen – Live at the Hyperion. The theater can seat up to 1,984 people.
The Hyperion Theater opened with the park on February 8, 2001. Originally, Disney anticipated holding large-scale events and awards shows at this theater. However, a cost-cutting decision during construction to strip the theater of a proper lobby or bathrooms within the theater prevented this from taking place. Guests must leave the theater and walk to an adjoining rest room.
The venue's first show was Disney's Steps in Time, a musical featuring songs from various Disney films. Later that year, The Power of Blast, a scaled-down version of the musical Blast! was created for the theater. The Power of Blast closed in fall 2002 to make room for Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular. Inspired by Disney's 1992 animated film Aladdin, the show premiered in January 2003.
In spring 2010 it was initially announced that Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular would close and be replaced by Toy Story: The Musical, similar to the version on the Disney Cruise Line. However, later that year it announced that the plans were cancelled and that the Aladdin musical would remain for the time being.
Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular closed in January 2016. It was announced that the venue's next show would be a musical inspired by Disney's 2013 animated film Frozen, entitled Frozen – Live at the Hyperion. The show premiered in May 2016.
In April 2003, a 36-year-old stage technician fell 60 feet from a catwalk in the Hyperion Theater, prompting an investigation by the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Cal/OSHA). The victim did not regain consciousness following the incident and died on May 18, 2003. In October 2003, Cal/OSHA fined the Disneyland Resort $18,350 for safety violations related to the cast member's death.
In September 2011, a performance of Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular was stopped when the flying carpet, which once flew out over the audience, stopped and flipped over with two cast members on it. No one was hurt in the incident, but the show was reworked to include a new special effect for the flying carpet.
- Lord, Rosemary (2002). Los Angeles Then and Now. San Diego: Thunder Bay Press. pp. 30–31. ISBN 1-57145-794-1.
- Rivera, Heather (May 12, 2010). "Your Wish Has Been Granted: Genie’s Run Extended at Hyperion Theater". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved May 12, 2010.
- Kaufman, Amy (29 May 2013). "Disney selling tickets to 'Lone Ranger' premiere for $1,000 a pop". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Salemi, Michelle (29 May 2013). "Disney’s ‘The Lone Ranger’ Premiere Tickets Cost a Cool Thousand Bucks". Variety. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Slater, Shawn (September 9, 2015). "All New ‘Frozen’-Inspired Stage Musical Coming to Disney California Adventure Park in 2016". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- Slater, Shawn (March 4, 2016). "New Stage Musical ‘Frozen – Live at the Hyperion’ Opens May 27, 2016, at Disney California Adventure Park". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- Frost, John (September 11, 2011). "Aladdin Accident Video Flipped Flying Carpet Stops Show". The Disney Blog. Retrieved January 17, 2013.