The theater marquee at night in 2006.
|Disney California Adventure|
|Opening date||February 8, 2001|
|Designer||Walt Disney Imagineering|
The Hyperion Theater opened with the park on February 8, 2001.
The venue's first show was Disney's Steps in Time, a musical featuring songs from various Disney films. Later that year, The Power of Blast, a scaled-down version of the musical Blast! was created for the theater. The Power of Blast closed in fall 2002 to make room for Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular. Inspired by Disney's 1992 animated film Aladdin, the show premiered in January 2003.
In spring 2010 it was initially announced that Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular would close and be replaced by Toy Story: The Musical. However, later that year it was announced that the plans were cancelled and that the Aladdin musical would remain for the time being.
Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular closed in January 2016. It was announced that the venue's next show would be a musical inspired by Disney's 2013 animated film Frozen, entitled Frozen – Live at the Hyperion. The show premiered in May 2016.
In April 2003, a 36-year-old stage technician fell 60 feet from a catwalk in the theater, prompting an investigation by the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration (Cal/OSHA). The victim did not regain consciousness following the incident and died in May 2003. In October 2003, Cal/OSHA fined the Disneyland Resort $18,350 for safety violations related to the cast member's death.
In September 2011, a performance of Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular was stopped when the flying carpet, while flying out over the audience, stopped and flipped over with two performers on it who were strapped in. No one was hurt in the incident.
- Lord, Rosemary (2002). Los Angeles Then and Now. San Diego: Thunder Bay Press. pp. 30–31. ISBN 1-57145-794-1.
- Rivera, Heather (May 12, 2010). "Your Wish Has Been Granted: Genie's Run Extended at Hyperion Theater". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved May 12, 2010.
- Kaufman, Amy (29 May 2013). "Disney selling tickets to 'Lone Ranger' premiere for $1,000 a pop". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Salemi, Michelle (29 May 2013). "Disney's 'The Lone Ranger' Premiere Tickets Cost a Cool Thousand Bucks". Variety. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Slater, Shawn (September 9, 2015). "All New 'Frozen'-Inspired Stage Musical Coming to Disney California Adventure Park in 2016". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- Slater, Shawn (March 4, 2016). "New Stage Musical 'Frozen – Live at the Hyperion' Opens May 27, 2016, at Disney California Adventure Park". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- Yoshino, Kimi (October 16, 2003). "Disney Fined in Death of Worker". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved October 2, 2016.
- Frost, John (September 11, 2011). "Aladdin Accident Video Flipped Flying Carpet Stops Show". The Disney Blog. Retrieved January 17, 2013.