Bonescan of a patient with hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy
|Classification and external resources|
Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy (also known as Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy, Bamberger-Marie syndrome or Osteoarthropathia hypertrophicans) is a medical condition combining clubbing and periostitis of the small hand joints, especially the distal interphalangeal joints. Distal expansion of the long bones as well as painful, swollen joints and synovial villous proliferation are often seen. The condition may occur alone (primary), or it may be secondary to diseases like lung cancer. It is especially associated with non-small cell lung carcinoma. These patients often get clubbing and increased bone deposition on long bones. Their presenting symptoms are sometimes only clubbing and painful ankles.
Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy is one of many distant effect disorders due to cancer, with lung cancer being the most common cause but also occurring with ovarian or adrenal malignancies. A distant effect disorder, or a paraneoplastic syndrome, affects distant areas and thus is not related to local compression or obstruction effects from the tumor. Other paraneoplastic syndromes include hypercalcemia, SIADH, Cushing's syndrome and a variety of neurological disorders.
- Armstrong DJ, McCausland EM, Wright GD (February 2007). "Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy (HPOA) (Pierre Marie-Bamberger syndrome): two cases presenting as acute inflammatory arthritis. Description and review of the literature". Rheumatol. Int. 27 (4): 399–402. doi:10.1007/s00296-006-0224-2. PMID 17006703.
- Deller A, Heuer B, Wiedeck H (December 1998). "Is myositis ossificans following ARDS a complication of prone-dependency or is it osteoarthropathia hypertrophicans (Bamberger-Marie syndrome)?". Intensive Care Med. 24 (12): 1345–6. doi:10.1007/s001340050776. PMID 9885895. Archived from the original on 1999-08-23.
- Goldman, Lee (2011). Goldman's Cecil Medicine (24th ed.). Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders. p. 1196. ISBN 1437727883.
- synd/1756 at Who Named It?
- von Bamberger E (1889). "Veränderungen der Röhrenknochen bei Bronchiektasie". Wiener klinische Wochenschrift. 2: 226.
- Marie P (1890). "De l'osteo-arthropathie hypertrophiante pneumique". Rév Med, Paris. 10: 1–36.
|This article about a disease of musculoskeletal and connective tissue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a medical condition affecting the respiratory system is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|