Hyrum G. Smith
|Hyrum G. Smith|
Smith in 1932
|6th Presiding Patriarch|
|May 9, 1912– February 4, 1932|
|Successor||Nicholas G. Smith (as Acting Presiding Patriarch (de facto))|
|Born||Hyrum Gibbs Smith
July 8, 1879
South Jordan, Utah Territory, United States
|Died||February 4, 1932
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
While Smith was training in California to become a dentist, his grandfather John Smith, the Patriarch to the Church, died. The younger Smith was recalled to Utah to succeed him in the full-time position. He was ordained a high priest and Patriarch to the Church on May 9, 1912 by LDS Church president Joseph F. Smith. John Smith was the son of Hyrum Smith, the elder brother of Joseph Smith, the founder of the LDS Church.
Smith died of pneumonia in Salt Lake City. After his death, the office of Presiding Patriarch was left vacant for several years, but was eventually filled by Smith's second cousin Joseph Fielding Smith. In 1947, Hyrum G. Smith's son, Eldred G. Smith, became the Patriarch to the Church.
- Lineal succession (Latter Day Saints)
- Patriarch (Latter Day Saints)
- Patriarchal Priesthood
- Patriarchal blessing
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher (2013-04-05). "Longest-serving Mormon general authority dies at 106". Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- State of Utah Death Certificate
- Jenson, Andrew (1920). Latter-day Saint biographical encyclopedia: A compilation of biographical sketches of prominent men and women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. 3. Salt Lake City, Utah: The Andrew Jenson History Company (Printed by Printed by The Arrow Press). pp. 778–779. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- Jenson, Andrew (1936). Latter-day Saint biographical encyclopedia: A compilation of biographical sketches of prominent men and women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. 4. Salt Lake City, Utah: The Andrew Jenson History Company (Printed by The Deseret News Press). p. 686. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- Bates, Irene M.; Smith, E. Gary (2003) . Lost Legacy: The Mormon Office of Presiding Patriarch. Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois Press. ISBN 978-0-252-07115-7. OCLC 53077386.
- 2004 Church Almanac, Deseret Morning News, page 72
- Hyrum Gibbs Smith papers, Vault MSS 804 at L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Brigham Young University
|The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints titles|
May 9, 1912 - February 4, 1932
Nicholas G. Smith
as Acting Presiding Patriarch (de facto)