September 25, 1982
Seoul, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Gim Tae-pyeong|
Hyun Bin (born Kim Tae-pyung on September 25, 1982) is a South Korean actor. He is best known for his leading roles in the television dramas My Name is Kim Sam-soon (2005), Worlds Within (2008), Secret Garden (2010–2011), Memories of the Alhambra (2018–2019); as well as the films Confidential Assignment and The Swindlers (2017).
- 1 Career
- 2 Social activities
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Discography
- 6 Ambassadorship
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Hyun debuted as an actor in the 2003 television series Bodyguard. He then starred in the sitcom Nonstop 4 and quirky romance drama Ireland, and made his film debut the same year in the youth sports movie Spin Kick. Hyun shot to stardom with the 2005 romantic comedy series My Lovely Sam Soon with Kim Sun-a. Sam-soon was a massive hit with average ratings of over 37% and 50.5% for the finale, for which Hyun won the Top Excellence Award at the MBC Drama Awards.
Following the success of Sam-soon, Hyun starred in his first film as a lead actor in A Millionaire's First Love (written by internet novelist Guiyeoni). The movie was a hit among teenage audiences.
However, Hyun's next television project The Snow Queen was unsuccessful. He began choosing more eclectic projects, such as 2008's Worlds Within, which was well-received for Noh Hee-kyung's writing. He then starred in romance film I Am Happy, which was the closing film at the 2008 Busan International Film Festival. In 2009, Hyun drew critical acclaim in his portrayal a sociopath in the gangster saga Friend, Our Legend, reportedly watching Kwak Kyung-taek's original film 20 to 30 times.
2010–2013: Overseas popularity
Hyun experienced a resurgence of fame in 2010 with Secret Garden, a romantic fantasy drama written by Kim Eun-sook. The drama brought in 30% ratings and garnered much interest regarding its fashion, catchphrases and music. Hyun was recognized at the 2010 SBS Drama Awards and the 47th Baeksang Arts Awards for his stellar performance. He also contributed to the soundtrack of the drama with "That Man", which peaked at number one in eight Korean music portals.
In 2011, Hyun starred in two films; Come Rain, Come Shine (a minimalist breakup indie directed by Lee Yoon-ki); and Late Autumn (directed by Kim Tae-yong). Shot in Seattle, Late Autumn was an English-language remake of the 1966 Lee Man-hee classic, in which Hyun played a man on the run who falls in love with a woman who is on special leave from prison (Chinese actress Tang Wei). It became the highest grossing Korean film released in China to date, taking in more than US$9.5 million over two weeks, which was unprecedented for a melodrama. He received a good review from The Hollywood Reporter which stated, "It is Hyun who impresses more for not underplaying the dandy, narcissistic side of his personality."
After the merger of their former agency AM Entertainment with SM Entertainment, Hyun's reps announced in November 2012 that the actor and Shin Min-ah had decided to go independent and set up their own management agency O& Entertainment. Hyun then spent most of 2013 shooting commercials as an in-demand product endorser, and holding fan meetings all over Asia.
For his acting comeback after military service, Hyun chose The Fatal Encounter, his first ever period film, in which he played the leading role of King Jeongjo who faced fierce party strife and assassination attempts during his reign. It was released in April 2014 and drew more than 3 million admissions. However, Hyun was criticized for his flat tonation and lack of emotions in the film; which received mostly negative reviews.
Hyun next starred in Hyde, Jekyll, Me, a 2015 romantic series in which he plays a man with split personality disorder (inspired by the literary character) whose two personas both fall for the same woman. However, the drama was a commercial flop and recorded low ratings.
In January 2016, Hyun set up his own agency, VAST Entertainment.
2017–present: Career resurgence
Hyun then returned to silver screen with the action-thriller film titled Confidential Assignment (2017), where he plays the role of a North Korean detective that is secretly sent to South Korea to apprehend a crime ring that is made up of North Korean traitors. The film was a success, and Hyun received positive reviews for his action scenes and comedic performance. He then starred in crime action film The Swindlers, along with Yoo Ji-tae, about a prosecutor who plans to catch a con man who has swindled a large sum of money. The Swindlers was another box office hit for Hyun.
In 2018, Hyun starred in crime thriller The Negotiation, playing a villain role for the first time; and zombie blockbuster Rampant (which was co-produced by VAST Entertainment). The same year, he returned to the small screen with fantasy suspense drama Memories of the Alhambra alongside Park Shin-hye. The series is one of the highest rated Korean dramas in cable television history, and Hyun was praised for his seemingly indifferent but humorous depiction of his character.
After joining the Marines for his mandatory military service and completing six months into his service, Hyun participated in the "Seoul Reclamation Anniversary Marine Marathon Competition". He ran a 6.25 km long course with 400 exemplary senior marines. This event was held in remembrance of the historically significant event when the Marines won back the capital Seoul that had been taken during the 6.25 Korean War.
On October 29, 2013, Hyun received the President's award at the 50th Savings Day held by the Financial Services Committee, for saving 35 billion won (approximately USD 3.3 million) within 17 years.
In February 2016, Hyun was involved in an awareness campaign against animal cruelty. As part of the project, Hyun's agency VAST Entertainment released pictures of him posing with a retired search and rescue dog named "Vision".
Hyun was born and raised in Seoul. He has one older brother. He graduated from Chung-Ang University in 2004, where he majored in Theater Studies. In 2009, he enrolled at the same university to obtain a Master's degree.
On March 7, 2011, Hyun volunteered to serve his 21 months of compulsory military service in the Marine Corps, considered the toughest service branch. He was discharged on December 6, 2012 and received a citation for being an exemplary soldier.
|2004||Spin Kick||Lee Min-gyu|||
|2005||Daddy Long Legs||Hyung-joon|||
|2006||A Millionaire's First Love||Kang Jae-kyung|||
|2009||I Am Happy||Jo Man-soo|||
|Come Rain, Come Shine||He|||
|2014||The Fatal Encounter||King Jeongjo|||
|2017||Confidential Assignment||Im Cheol-ryung|||
|The Swindlers||Hwang Ji-sung|||
|2018||The Negotiation||Min Tae-goo|||
|2004||Nonstop 4||Hyun Bin||MBC|||
|2005||My Lovely Sam Soon||Hyun Jin-heon|||
|2006||The Snow Queen||Han Tae-woong/Han Deuk-gu||KBS2|||
|2008||Worlds Within||Jung Ji-oh|||
|2009||Friend, Our Legend||Han Dong-soo||MBC|||
|2010||Secret Garden||Kim Joo-won||SBS|||
|2015||Hyde Jekyll, Me||Gu Seo-jin/Robin|||
|2018–2019||Memories of the Alhambra||Yoo Jin-woo||tvN|||
|2019||Emergency Love Landing||Lee Jeong-hyeok|||
|2010||Tears of Africa||Narrator||MBC|||
|2012||Tears of the Earth - from the North Pole to the South Pole|||
Music video appearances
|2006||"Hey U"||Lemon Tree|||
|2010||"Dream in My Heart"|
|2011||"Can't Have You"||Friend, Our Legend OST|||
|"That Man"||Secret Garden OST|||
|2011||PR ambassador of Hyundai Motors' "Hyundai Grandeur"|||
|2013||PR ambassador of Kia Motors' "The New K5"|||
|2014||Promotional ambassador of Incheon Asian Games|||
|2016||Promotional ambassador of Gwangju Biennale|||
Awards and nominations
|2004||MBC Entertainment Awards||Special Award, TV Actor category||Nonstop 4||Won|||
|MBC Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Ireland||Won|||
|2005||41st Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor (TV)||Nominated|
|MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor||My Name Is Kim Sam-soon||Won|||
|Best Couple Award with Kim Sun-a||Won|
|2006||42nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actor (Film)||A Millionaire's First Love||Won|||
|KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor||The Snow Queen||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award with Sung Yu-ri||Won|
|2007||43rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actor (TV)||Nominated|
|2008||KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Worlds Within||Nominated|
|2009||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor||Friend, Our Legend||Nominated|
|2010||SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||Secret Garden||Won|||
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|Netizen Popularity Award||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Ha Ji-won||Won|
|2011||47th Baeksang Arts Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang) for TV||Won|||
|Best Actor (TV)||Nominated|
|6th Seoul International Drama Awards||Outstanding Korean Actor||Nominated|
|2014||18th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival||Producer's Choice Award||N/A||Won|||
|2015||SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||Hyde, Jekyll, Me||Nominated|
|2017||6th Korea Film Actors Association Awards||Top Star Award||Confidential Assignment, The Swindlers||Won|||
|2019||55th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actor (TV)||Memories of the Alhambra||Nominated|||
- "[INTERVIEW] From rom-com heartthrob to action hero". The Korea Times. 4 November 2018.
- "Hyun Bin's dark (embarrassing) history? He shot a TV series only wearing a swimsuit in 2003". Star News. 24 February 2012.
- 10LINE: Actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. 2 December 2009.
- ""Don't Underestimate Third-Rate": Overturning Life with a "Spin Kick"". The Donga Ilbo. 21 July 2004.
- "Actor Hyun Bin Becomes Top Hallyu Star in Japan". KBS Global. 2 March 2006. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Samsoon last episode hangs on hope Archived 2012-07-17 at Archive.today. Korea JoongAng Daily. 22 July 2005.
- "TV Heartthrob Hyun Bin Makes Move to the Big Screen". The Chosun Ilbo. 16 February 2006. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "Kim Tae-gyun's Movies Have Teen Appeal". The Dong-A Ilbo. 9 February 2006.
- Chun, Su-jin (28 November 2006). "New drama's concept has passed its time". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Korean Idol Actor Hyun Bin to Visit Japan". KBS World. 4 December 2007.
- "Song Hye-go, Hyun Bin Star in New KBS Drama Series". KBS Global. 28 October 2008. Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- "Hyun Bin's Happy is unhappy". 10Asia. 16 November 2009.
- "Hyun Bin: 'There is No Right Answer for Happiness'". KBS Global. 17 November 2009.
- "Blockbuster Friend to Be Reproduced as TV Series". The Korea Times. 4 July 2008.
- "Movie-Based Dramas to Fill TV Screens". The Korea Times. 8 July 2008.
- Friends, Lawyers to Hit Small Screen. The Korea Times. 23 June 2009.
- "Legal wars and blood brothers hit TV". The Korea Herald. 24 June 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 1. 10Asia. 24 November 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 2. 10Asia. 24 November 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 3. 10Asia. 24 November 2009.
- Secret Garden Hyun Bin, Ha Ji-won speak on switching bodies - Part 1. 10Asia. 9 December 2010.
- Secret Garden Hyun Bin, Ha Ji-won speak on switching bodies - Part 2. 10Asia. 9 December 2010.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (26 January 2011). "Secret Garden leaves fairytale love story". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- "Hyun Bin, Lee Byung-hun win Paeksang awards". The Korea Herald. 29 May 2011.
- Hyun Bin, Lee Byung-hun win top prizes at Paeksang. 10Asia. 27 May 2011.
- 현빈, 5일째 8개 음원사이트 1위…롱런하나 (Hyun Bin, first place in 8 music sites for the fifth day...long run?). Nate (in Korean). 11 January 2011.
- Focus: Actor Hyun Bin, this man cries. 10Asia. 14 January 2011.
- Success of Secret Garden Continues to Grow. The Chosun Ilbo. 21 January 2011.
- Hyun Bin, Tang Wei Cast in Korea-US Project. The Korea Times. 5 November 2009.
- Actor Hyun Bin is on the rise in America, too. The Korea Times. 27 January 2011.
- Anticipation builds for Late Autumn debut Archived 2012-07-14 at Archive.today. Korea JoongAng Daily. 11 February 2011.
- Interview: Actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. 15 February 2011.
- Late Autumn becomes the all-time highest grossing Korean film in China. Korean Film Biz Zone. 13 April 2012.
- Late Autumn -- Film Review. The Hollywood Reporter. 14 October 2010.
- Hyun Bin emerges as Romeo of the hour. The Korea Times. 15 February 2011.
- Actors Hyun Bin and Lim Soo-jung pose for cameras.... The Korea Times. 18 February 2011.
- "Director Lee defends pace of Berlin’s sole Asian entry". The Korea Herald. 18 February 2011.
- Hyun Bin happiest with invitation to Berlin film fest. 10Asia. 20 January 2011.
- Come Rain invited to Berlinale. The Korea Times. 21 January 2011.
- "Why Were Hyun Bin, Shin Min Ah Left Out of the SM C&C-AM Entertainment Merger?". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. 9 September 2012.
- "신민아, 오앤엔터와 전속계약..현빈도 최종조율 중". Oh My Star (in Korean). 8 November 2012.
- "Hyun Bin the face of canned coffee". Korea JoongAng Daily. 10 January 2013. Archived from the original on 20 June 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Hyun Bin Becomes Model for Cantata Coffee". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. 11 January 2013.
- "Hyun Bin Re-Cast As Samsung Smart TV's Model". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. 17 January 2013.
- "Just out of Army, Hyun Bin cashes in". Korea JoongAng Daily. 18 January 2013. Archived from the original on 20 June 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Hyun Bin goes on Asia tour to meet with fans in Taiwan, Thailand and Singapore". Korea JoongAng Daily. 12 March 2013. Archived from the original on 20 June 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Hyun Bin set to appear in new film". Korea JoongAng Daily. 30 April 2013. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Hyun Bin Says Acting a Challenge After Military Service". The Chosun Ilbo. 3 April 2014.
- "Hyun Bin back as a muscular King Jeongjo". Korea JoongAng Daily. 4 April 2014.
- "Hyun Bin Recalls Fitness Regimen Fit for a King for Latest Flick". The Chosun Ilbo. 16 May 2014.
- Lee, Claire (11 May 2014). "Fatal Encounter draws 3m viewers". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Sunwoo, Carla (25 April 2014). "Fatal Encounter deathly boring". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
- Lee, Claire (27 April 2014). "Fatal Encounter fails to be memorable". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-04-27.
- "Hyun Bin will star in Hyde". Korea JoongAng Daily. 8 October 2014.
- ""Hyde, Jekyll and I" breaks record for lowest percentage". Hancinema. Nate. 4 March 2015.
- "현빈, 회사명 '베스트엔터테인먼트'로 확정…컴백 박차". MBN (in Korean). 21 January 2016.
- "Hyun-bin Sets COOPERATION as Next Project". Korean Film Biz Zone. 30 September 2015.
- "Prince Charming turns tough guy : Hyun Bin's role in 'Confidential Assignment' is uncharted territory for the heartthrob actor". Korea JoongAng Daily. 20 January 2017.
- "Hyun-bin Signs Up for KKUN". Korean Film Biz Zone. 16 June 2016.
- "Hyun Bin, Yoo Ji-tae team up in 'The Swindlers'". The Korea Herald. 11 October 2017.
- "(Yonhap Interview) Actor Hyunbin ready for a new challenge". Yonhap News Agency. 15 January 2017.
- "Hyun Bin's New Crime Flick Nears 2 Million Viewers in a Week". The Chosun Ilbo. 28 November 2017.
- "Hyun-bin and SON Ye-jin Team Up for NEGOTIATION with JK Film". Korean Film Biz Zone. 1 June 2017.
- "Hyun Bin, Son Ye-jin talk about remote-acting in 'The Negotiation'". Kpop Herald. 9 August 2018.
- "Hyun-bin Takes on Period Zombie Film CHANG-GWOL". Korean Film Biz Zone. 12 April 2017.
- "'Rampant' actor Hyun Bin goes for fun and new movies". Yonhap News Agency. 23 October 2018.
- "Hyun Bin, Park Shin-hye Team up for 1st Time in New TV Series". The Chosun Ilbo. 29 November 2018.
- "'Memories of the Alhambra' promises sword-wielding Hyun Bin, AR game, Spanish scenery". The Korea Herald. 28 November 2018.
- "Augmented Reality TV Soap Off to a Great Start". The Chosun Ilbo. 4 December 2018.
- "Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin Confirm Starring Roles in Park Ji-eun's "Emergency Love Landing"". Hancinema. Sports Donga. 21 May 2019.
- "Hyun Bin Runs Patriotic Mini-Marathon". The Chosun Ilbo. 26 September 2011.
- "Hallyu stars given award for savings". Yonhap News Agency. 1 October 2013.
- "현빈이 은퇴한 구조견과 프로필 사진 찍은 사연". Insight (in Korean). 26 February 2016.
- "2월 중앙대 연극영화학과 졸업 후 3월 석사과정 진학". Nocutnews (in Korean). 10 February 2009.
- Heartthrob Hyun Bin Volunteers for Marines. The Chosun Ilbo. 13 January 2011.
- Hyun Bin to join Marine Corps Archived 2012-07-10 at Archive.today. Korea JoongAng Daily. 13 January 2011.
- Hyun Bin joins Marine Corps. The Korea Times. 7 March 2011.
- Hyun Bin to be deployed to NLL Archived 2012-07-10 at Archive.today. Korea JoongAng Daily. 20 April 2011.
- Hyun Bin fever hits island in Yellow Sea Archived 2012-07-10 at Archive.today. Korea JoongAng Daily. 22 April 2011.
- "Heartthrob Hyun Bin Completes Mandatory Military Service". The Chosun Ilbo. 7 December 2012.
- "Hyun Bin tears up after discharge". Korea JoongAng Daily. 7 December 2012. Archived from the original on 13 December 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Hyun Bin Discharged from Military Service". KBS Global. 7 December 2012.
- "Hyun Bin receives a citation for being an exemplary soldier". Star News. 6 December 2012. Archived from the original on 15 February 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "'키다리 아저씨', 박은혜의 상대역으로 현빈 발탁". Joy News (in Korean). 1 November 2004.
- "현빈, '논스톱4' 출연하니 '인기 논스톱'". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 12 March 2004.
- "'아일랜드' 현빈, '인기 상승'". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 17 September 2004.
- "'내 이름은 김삼순'의 현빈". Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). 10 August 2005.
- "[방송]에릭-현빈, 시트콤 '논스톱5' 특별출연". The Donga Ilbo (in Korean). 10 September 2005.
- "현빈, MBC 다큐 '아프리카의 눈물' 내레이터로 나서". Maeil Business Newspaper (in Korean). 22 November 2010.
- "[오늘의 추천방송] MBC 'MBC스페셜'". PD Journal (in Korean). 23 February 2012.
- "현빈-이다해, 4일간 삿포로서 슬픈 사랑". Star News (in Korean). 10 January 2005.
- "현빈, '나, 레몬트리 도우미' 데뷔앨범 뮤비 우정 출연". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 25 October 2005.
- "[공식] 김동율 신곡 '답장', MV 티저 공개…현빈 그윽한 눈빛". News1 (in Korean). 6 January 2018.
- "현빈 '가질수 없는 너', 송혜교와 결별 심경 토로?". Asia Economy (in Korean). 8 March 2011.
- "Hyun Bin Donates Hyundai Grandeur to UNICEF". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 7 March 2011.
- "Kia Motors Releases The New K5". Korea Economic Daily. 14 June 2013.
- "Hyun Bin Picked to Promote Incheon Asian Games". The Chosun Ilbo. 4 July 2014.
- "Hyun Bin to Promote Gwangju Biennale". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 25 May 2016.
- "이경규, 2004 MBC '방송연예대상' 대상 수상". Joy News (in Korean). 30 December 2004.
- "고두심, '2004 MBC 연기대상' 대상 수상". Star News (in Korean). 31 December 2004.
- "TV Networks Hand Out Awards". Hancinema. The Korea Times. 1 January 2006.
- "김선아, MBC 연기대상 수상". Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). 31 December 2005.
- 42nd Baeksang Awards Nominations + Winners. Twitch Film. 14 April 2006.
- "2006 KBS Drama Awards". KBS (in Korean).
- "Ko Hyun-jung wins grand prize at SBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. 8 June 2011.
- "'Hyun-Bin' Chosen as Co-Winner of 'Producers Choice Award' at [Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival]". Star News. 21 July 2014.
- "Top Star Awards for NA Moon-hee, LEE Jung-hyun, CHOI Min-shik and Hyun-bin". Korean Film Biz Zone. 8 January 2018.
- Yoo, Chung-hee (April 4, 2019). "김서형·염정아·김혜자 등 '백상예술대상' TV부문 최종 후보 공개". Ten Asia (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hyun Bin.|