September 25, 1982
Seoul, South Korea
|Alma mater||Chung-Ang University|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Tae-pyeong|
Hyun Bin (born Kim Tae-pyung on September 25, 1982) is a South Korean actor. He is best known for his leading roles in the television dramas My Name Is Kim Sam-soon (2005), The World That They Live In (2008) and Secret Garden (2010-2011).
Hyun first starred in Nonstop 4 and quirky romance drama Ireland. He shot to stardom with the 2005 romantic comedy series My Name Is Kim Sam-soon with Kim Sun-a. Sam-soon was a massive hit with average ratings of over 37% and 50.5% for the finale, for which Hyun won the Top Excellence Award at the MBC Drama Awards.
Mainstream success eluded Hyun in the next few years. His first film as a lead actor A Millionaire's First Love (written by internet novelist Guiyeoni) did not do well commercially, and neither did TV melodrama The Snow Queen. Hyun began choosing more eclectic projects, such as 2008's The World That They Live In, which was well-received for Noh Hee-kyung's writing. He then starred in romance film I Am Happy, which was the closing film at the 2008 Busan International Film Festival. In 2009, Hyun drew critical acclaim in his portrayal a sociopath in the gangster saga Friend, Our Legend, reportedly watching Kwak Kyung-taek's original film 20 to 30 times.
He experienced a resurgence of fame in 2010 with Secret Garden, a romantic fantasy written by Kim Eun-sook. The drama brought in 30% ratings and garnered much interest regarding its fashion, catchphrases and music, and Hyun was recognized at the 2010 SBS Drama Awards and the 47th Baeksang Arts Awards for his stellar performance. He also contributed to the soundtrack of the drama with "That Man", which peaked at number one in eight Korean music portals.
In 2011, Hyun starred in two films; Come Rain, Come Shine (directed by Lee Yoon-ki) and Late Autumn (directed by Kim Tae-yong). Shot in Seattle, Late Autumn was an English-language remake of the 1966 Lee Man-hee classic, in which Hyun played a man on the run who falls in love with a woman who is on special leave from prison (Chinese actress Tang Wei). It became the highest grossing Korean film released in China to date, taking in more than US$9.5 million over two weeks, which was unprecedented for a melodrama. He received a good review from The Hollywood Reporter which stated, "It is Hyun who impresses more for not underplaying the dandy, narcissistic side of his personality."
After the merger of their former agency AM Entertainment with SM Entertainment, Hyun's reps announced in November 2012 that the actor and Shin Min-ah had decided to go independent and set up their own management agency O& Entertainment. Hyun then spent most of 2013 shooting commercials as an in-demand product endorser, and holding fan meetings all over Asia.
For his acting comeback after military service, Hyun chose The Fatal Encounter, his first ever period film, in which he played the leading role of King Jeongjo who faced fierce party strife and assassination attempts during his reign. It was released in April 2014 and drew more than 3 million admissions.
Hyun next starred in Hyde, Jekyll, Me, a 2015 romantic series in which he plays a man with split personality disorder (inspired by the literary character) whose two personas both fall for the same woman. However, the drama was a commercial flop and recorded the lowest ratings for a prime-time series.
In January 2016, Hyun set his own agency VAST Entertainment.
Hyun then returned to silver screen with the action-thriller film titled Confidential Assignment, where he plays the role of a North Korean detective that is secretly sent to South Korea to apprehend a crime ring that is made up of North Korean traitors.
In June 2016, Hyun agency confirmed his casting in the film, Kkoon (also known as Conman) along with Yoo Ji-tae. The movie is about a prosecutor who plans to catch a con man who has swindled a large sum of money.
After joining the Marines for his mandatory military service and completing six months into his service, on September 25, 2011 Hyun participated the "Seoul Reclamation Anniversary Marine Marathon Competition". He ran 6.25 km long course with 400 exemplary senior marines. This event was held in remembrance of the historically significant event when the Marines won back the capital Seoul that had been taken during the 6.25 Korean War.
On October 29, 2013 Korean Government held a “50th Savings Day” event. Hyun Bin received recognition as the recipient of the President’s award for saving 35 billion won (approximately USD 3.3 million) within 17 years.
In February 2016, Hyun was involved in an awareness campaign against animal cruelty. As part of the project, Hyun's agency VAST Entertainment released pictures of him posing with a retired search and rescue dog named "Vision".
Hyun was born and raised in Seoul. He has one older brother. He graduated from Chung-Ang University in 2004, where he majored in Theater Studies. In 2009, he enrolled at the same university to obtain a Master's degree.
On March 7, 2011, Hyun volunteered to serve his 21 months of compulsory military service in the Marine Corps, considered the toughest service branch. He was discharged on December 6, 2012 and received a citation for being an exemplary soldier. In front of media and thousands of fans from various countries, Hyun shed tears and bowed.
|2004||Nonstop 4||Hyun Bin||MBC|
|2005||My Name Is Kim Sam-soon||Hyun Jin-heon||MBC|
|2006||The Snow Queen||Han Tae-woong/Han Deuk-gu||KBS2|
|2008||Worlds Within||Jung Ji-oh||KBS2|
|2009||Friend, Our Legend||Han Dong-soo||MBC|
|2010||Secret Garden||Kim Joo-won||SBS|
|2015||Hyde, Jekyll, Me||Gu Seo-jin/Robin||SBS|
|2004||Spin Kick||Lee Min-gyu|
|2005||Daddy Long Legs||Hyung-joon|
|2006||A Millionaire's First Love||Kang Jae-kyung|
|2009||I Am Happy||Jo Man-soo|
|Come Rain, Come Shine||He|
|2014||The Fatal Encounter||King Jeongjo|
|2017||Confidential Assignment||Im Cheol-ryung|
|2018||Changgwol ||Lee Chung|
|2006||"Hey U"||Lemon Tree|
|2010||"Dream in My Heart"||Single|
|2011||"Can't Have You"||Friend, Our Legend OST|
|"That Man"||Secret Garden OST|
Awards and nominations
||Special Award, TV Actor category||
||Best New Actor||
||Best New Actor (TV)||Nominated|
||Best Couple Award with Kim Sun-a||My Name Is Kim Sam-soon||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor||Won|
||Most Popular Actor (Film)||
||Best Couple Award with Sung Yu-ri||
|Excellence Award, Actor||Nominated|
||Best Actor (TV)||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Nominated|
||Excellence Award, Actor||
||Best Couple Award with Ha Ji-won||
|Netizen Popularity Award||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||Won|
||Best Actor (TV)||Nominated|
|Grand Prize (Daesang) for TV||Won|
||Outstanding Korean Actor||Nominated|
||Producer's Choice Award||N/A||Won|
||Most Popular Actor (Film)||
- 10LINE: Actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. December 2, 2009.
- Samsoon last episode hangs on hope. Korea JoongAng Daily. July 22, 2005.
- "Hyun Bin's Happy is unhappy". 10Asia. November 16, 2009.
- "Hyun Bin: 'There is No Right Answer for Happiness'". KBS Global. November 17, 2009.
- "Blockbuster Friend to Be Reproduced as TV Series". The Korea Times. July 4, 2008.
- "Movie-Based Dramas to Fill TV Screens". The Korea Times. July 8, 2008.
- Friends, Lawyers to Hit Small Screen. The Korea Times. June 23, 2009.
- "Legal wars and blood brothers hit TV". The Korea Herald. June 24, 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 1. 10Asia. November 24, 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 2. 10Asia. November 24, 2009.
- Interview: Hyun Bin - Part 3. 10Asia. November 24, 2009.
- Secret Garden Hyun Bin, Ha Ji-won speak on switching bodies - Part 1. 10Asia. December 9, 2010.
- Secret Garden Hyun Bin, Ha Ji-won speak on switching bodies - Part 2. 10Asia. December 9, 2010.
- "Hyun Bin, Lee Byung-hun win Paeksang awards". The Korea Herald. May 29, 2011.
- Hyun Bin, Lee Byung-hun win top prizes at Paeksang. 10Asia. May 27, 2011.
- 현빈, 5일째 8개 음원사이트 1위…롱런하나 (Hyun Bin, first place in 8 music sites for the fifth day...long run?). Nate (in Korean). January 11, 2011.
- Focus: Actor Hyun Bin, this man cries. 10Asia. January 14, 2011.
- Success of Secret Garden Continues to Grow. The Chosun Ilbo. January 21, 2011.
- Hyun Bin, Tang Wei Cast in Korea-US Project. The Korea Times. November 5, 2009.
- Actor Hyun Bin is on the rise in America, too. The Korea Times. January 27, 2011.
- Anticipation builds for Late Autumn debut. Korea JoongAng Daily. February 11, 2011.
- Interview: Actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. February 15, 2011.
- Late Autumn becomes the all-time highest grossing Korean film in China. Korean Film Biz Zone. April 13, 2012.
- Late Autumn -- Film Review. The Hollywood Reporter. October 14, 2010.
- Hyun Bin emerges as Romeo of the hour. The Korea Times. February 15, 2011.
- Actors Hyun Bin and Lim Soo-jung pose for cameras.... The Korea Times. February 18, 2011.
- "Director Lee defends pace of Berlin’s sole Asian entry". The Korea Herald. February 18, 2011.
- Hyun Bin happiest with invitation to Berlin film fest. 10Asia. January 20, 2011.
- Come Rain invited to Berlinale. The Korea Times. January 21, 2011.
- "Why Were Hyun Bin, Shin Min Ah Left Out of the SM C&C-AM Entertainment Merger?". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. September 9, 2012.
- Hyun Bin to Set Up His Own Agency With Shin Min Ah. Soompi. November 8, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin the face of canned coffee". Korea JoongAng Daily. January 10, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin Becomes Model for Cantata Coffee". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. January 11, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin Re-Cast As Samsung Smart TV's Model". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. January 17, 2013.
- "Just out of Army, Hyun Bin cashes in". Korea JoongAng Daily. January 18, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin goes on Asia tour to meet with fans in Taiwan, Thailand and Singapore". Korea JoongAng Daily. March 12, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin set to appear in new film". Korea JoongAng Daily. April 30, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin Says Acting a Challenge After Military Service". The Chosun Ilbo. April 3, 2014.
- "Hyun Bin back as a muscular King Jeongjo". Korea JoongAng Daily. April 4, 2014.
- "Hyun Bin Recalls Fitness Regimen Fit for a King for Latest Flick". The Chosun Ilbo. May 16, 2014.
- "Interview: Hyun Bin Regained His Love and Passion for Acting After the Marines". enewsWorld. May 17, 2014.
- "Interview: Hyun Bin's Back Muscles Took 3 Months to Build but Disappeared in 2 Weeks". enewsWorld. May 17, 2014.
- "HYUN Bin of THE FATAL ENCOUNTER: A Smart Actor Whose Name Has Proven Trustworthy". Korean Cinema Today. May 30, 2014.
- "Hyun Bin will star in Hyde". Korea JoongAng Daily. October 8, 2014.
- "현빈, 회사명 '베스트엔터테인먼트'로 확정…컴백 박차". MBN. January 21, 2016.
- E., Maolen (12 May 2016). "Hyun Bin sports bad-ass, manly look with full beard for new action film". YIBADA. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Hyun Bin sports bad-ass, manly look with full beard for new action film". Scoompi. 22 September 2016. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- "Hyun Bin and Yoo Ji Tae confirmed for movie about a conman and prosecutor - who's who?". AllKpop. 16 September 2016.
- "Hyun Bin Participates in a Marathon". Scoompi. September 25, 2011.
- "Actor Hyun Bin Receives President's Award". Scoompi. October 30, 2013.
- "Hyun Bin Campaigns Against Animal Cruelty". Scoompi. February 26, 2016.
- Heartthrob Hyun Bin Volunteers for Marines. The Chosun Ilbo. January 13, 2011.
- Hyun Bin to join Marine Corps. Korea JoongAng Daily. January 13, 2011.
- Hyun Bin passes exam for Marine Corps. 10Asia. January 19, 2011.
- Hyun Bin joins Marine Corps. The Korea Times. March 7, 2011.
- Thousands bid farewell to actor Hyun Bin. 10Asia. March 7, 2011.
- As actor joins Marines, tears of thousands flow. Korea JoongAng Daily. March 8, 2011.
- Photos of Hyun Bin in military training camp released. 10Asia. March 22, 2011.
- More photos of actor Hyun Bin in training camp revealed. 10Asia. March 31, 2011.
- Photos of actor Hyun Bin into his 3rd week of training revealed. 10Asia. April 8, 2011.
- Hyun Bin to be deployed to NLL. Korea JoongAng Daily. April 20, 2011.
- Hyun Bin fever hits island in Yellow Sea. Korea JoongAng Daily. April 22, 2011.
- "Heartthrob Hyun Bin Completes Mandatory Military Service". The Chosun Ilbo. December 7, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin tears up after discharge". Korea JoongAng Daily. December 7, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin Discharged from Military Service". KBS Global. December 7, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin says, "I missed acting so much"". Star News. December 6, 2012.
- "Hyun Bin receives a citation for being an exemplary soldier". Star News. December 6, 2012.
- "'열애 인정' 현빈-강소라, 8세 차이 배우 커플 탄생(종합)". news1.
- Lee, Jin-a (15 December 2016). "Hallyu star Hyun Bin dates actress Kang Sora". The Korea Times. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- 42nd Baeksang Awards Nominations + Winners. Twitch Film. April 14, 2006.
- "Nominees in the 2011 Seoul Drama Awards". Korea Observer. July 26, 2011.
- "Film festival kicks off in Bucheon". Korea.net. July 18, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hyun Bin.|