Hyuna in 2014
|Birth name||Kim Hyuna|
June 6, 1992 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, singer, dancer, songwriter, model|
|Labels||Cube, Universal, JYP|
|Associated acts||Wonder Girls, 4Minute, Trouble Maker|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Hyeon-a|
Kim Hyuna (Hangul: 김현아; born June 6, 1992), better known by the mononym Hyuna, stylized as HyunA, is a South Korean recording artist, dancer, songwriter and model. She is the main rapper and singer of the Korean girl group, 4Minute and part of the musical duo, Trouble Maker.
Hyuna first rose to fame as the lead rapper of the Korean girl group Wonder Girls, before she left in 2007 due to health issues. In 2008, she signed with Cube Entertainment and subsequently debuted with 4Minute a year later. Their debut single, "Hot Issue," went on to sell 4 million copies. She also became notable for her solo career, with her debut single, "Change" reaching sales of over 2 million copies. She describes her solo career as "performance-oriented music."
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Early life and education
Hyuna was born on June 6, 1992 in Seoul, South Korea. She attended Choongam Middle School and Korea High School of Music and Arts and currently attends Konkuk University, majoring in art culture, receiving special admission to the school.
Hyuna's Hanja name is "泫我". However, her Chinese teacher told her that it sounded weird in Mandarin (pinyin: Xuàn Wǒ) and recommended she adopt the characters "泫雅" (pinyin: Xuàn Yǎ) as her name for promotional activities in Taiwan. Hyuna agreed to the change after commenting that "泫雅" sounded adorable.
2007–08: Wonder Girls
In 2007, Hyuna made her debut with the Wonder Girls, a girl group managed by JYP Entertainment, as the group's main rapper. She participated in the group's debut album The Wonder Begins, released in February 2007. She was a part of the group's television shows MTV Wonder Girls for two seasons, and co-hosted Show! Music Core with Wonder Girls' Sohee and Fly to the Sky singer Brian Joo from May 12 to June 30.
2009–10: 4Minute and solo career beginnings
Hyuna collaborated with Lee Gi-kwang on the song "2009" from his debut album First Episode: A New Hero, and also appeared in the music video of his single "Dancing Shoes," which was released on March 30, 2009. On August 13 she rapped for Navi's song "Wasteful Tears" and she also appeared in its music video. Hyuna also appeared in Mighty Mouth's music video for "Love Class" with Uee from After School. Hyuna also featured in Brave Brothers' song "Bittersweet," released August 18.
She became part of the "Dream Team Girl Group," a promotional group for Samsung's Anycall phone with Seung Yeon (Kara), Uee (After School) & Gain (Brown Eyed Girls). Their first digital single "Tomorrow" was released on October 6, 2009, and the official music video was released on October 12, starring actor Lee Dong-gun. Hyuna's individual version of the music video was released on October 27.
Hyuna was also part of Invincible Youth, a South Korean variety show. However, she left the show due to some scheduling conflicts with her group's overseas promotions on June 11, 2010.
On January 4, 2010, Hyuna released the single "Change" which debuted high on various online charts and promoted it on music shows. The song reached No. 14 on the Gaon 2010 digital yearly charts with 2,469,354 copies sold.
On January 14, 2010, the "Change" music video was flagged with a 19+ rating by the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family for being inappropriate for minors. Cube Entertainment stated that the music video would be re-edited and submitted for approval. However, broadcast station SBS, announced the music video would be restricted for a 15+ audience instead, and MBC announced that it would still be viewable for all audiences. Hyuna's "Change" promotions ended in March 2010.
On February 10, Hyuna released a digital single, "Love Parade", featuring T-max's member Park Yun-hwa.
On October 14, 2010, Hyuna played a cameo role in the thriller movie Midnight FM with 4Minute member Jihyun. She also rapped a duet with G.NA called "Say You Love Me", in which she wrote and composed the rap lyrics of the song. The duet was released on November 10, 2010.
2011–12: Bubble Pop, Melting and Trouble Maker
Hyuna was featured in SS501's Heo Young-saeng's title track "Let It Go" from his first solo mini album, Let It Go released on May 12, 2011. Hyuna appeared in the Korean version of Dancing with the Stars. The show started broadcasting on June 10.
After several teasers, Hyuna released her first mini album, titled Bubble Pop featuring five new songs, with a title track titled "Bubble Pop". Its music video was released on July 5. The music video guest stars MBLAQ's Lee Joon. In August, the Korea Communications Standards Commission partially banned TV broadcasting of the video for allegedly racy content.
On September 28, 2011, Hyuna ranked 17th on Billboard's '21 Under 21′, a staff-compiled list of notable young acts. The list included other young stars such as Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus.
Trouble Maker's first mini album, Trouble Maker, consists of a dance track as well as an emotional ballad, a solo song for Hyuna, and a solo song for Hyunseung. Their EP was released on December 1.
On February 12, 2012 it was revealed that "The Birth of a Family" Season 2 will follow up with Hyuna and singer G.NA. Birth of a Family is an "animal communion variety" program where idols adopt stray pets and take care of them for a certain period of time to raise awareness for animal rights. The first episode was broadcast March 3.
On March 14, Hyuna announced the launch of her brand Hyuna x SPICYCOLOR.
Hyuna also appeared in Psy's viral music video for "Gangnam Style," having been selected personally by Psy during the initial production stage. Psy released the female version of Gangnam Style, known as "Oppa Is Just My Style" in August 2012, featuring additional vocals by Hyuna.
Hyuna released her second mini album titled Melting on October 21, 2012 with the title track "Ice Cream". The song was produced by Brave Brothers and was the first collaborative effort between the producer and Hyuna as a solo artist. The video for Ice Cream was released on October 22, 2012 and features a cameo by Psy. Four days after release, the music video tied the record for the K-pop music video to achieve ten million views on YouTube the fastest. The record is now held by both Girls' Generation's "The Boys" and "Ice Cream". This achievement is especially notable because it even exceeds Psy's attachment rate for his viral hit, "Gangnam Style", which took fifteen days to acquire the same number of views. Melting is also notable for Hyuna's contributions as a lyricist and composer for "Very Hot" and "To My Boyfriend".
On the October 21 episode of Inkigayo, the live music show revealed a teaser video hinting that twenty K-pop stars would transform into four new project groups for the 2012 SBS Gayo Daejeon. Hyuna was part of the super idol group "Dazzling Red" with Sistar's Hyolin, Secret's Hyoseong, After School's Nana and Kara's Nicole. Brave Brothers produced the group's title song, the profits of which were donated to people in need. The song "This Person" was released on December 27, 2012.
2013–2015: Chemistry, A Talk
On February 18, 2013 Hyuna was chosen as the new model for casual fashion brand G by Guess. On May 24, Hyuna and makeup artist SON & PARK launched charitable activities "KISS OF HOPE". G by Guess launched "KISS OF HOPE" package whose profits were donated to the education of children in poor countries.
In March, Hyuna became a spokesmodel for the 2013 Toyota Corolla. She released the short music video "Corolla x Hyuna: My Color", and the "CorollaxHyuna" mobile app which teaches her song and choreography.
In October, Hyuna and Hyunseung made a comeback as Trouble Maker. They released the single "Now" from their Chemistry EP. The song reached number one on ten of Korea's major music charts, and was deemed by Instiz.net as an All-Kill.
On March 11, Hyuna performed at the K-Pop Night Out at SXSW at Austin, Texas. She then went to Los Angeles to film a Funny or Die sketch with Rita Ora. The two stars' "Better Walk" video was released on "Funny or Die" on April 2, 2014.
On June 26, Cube Entertainment announced that Hyuna would be releasing her third solo album. A reality documentary program called Hyuna's Free Month aired on SBS; it documents her preparation and promotional activities for the album release. On July 15, teaser photos were released for the album A Talk and that its lead single is "Red". The music video for Hyuna's single "Red" was released on July 28.
It was announced on the 5th of June that Hyuna would comeback around August 2015 with a new album. 
On July 1, 2015 was revealed that Hyuna will be the new model for casual brand CLRIDEN.
Hyuna has a tattoo on her left shoulder that says, "My mother is the heart that keeps me alive." She later revealed another tattoo, on her right inner arm reading "Tempus", which means 'time' in Latin.
|2014||Hyuna's Free Month||SBS MTV||Hyuna's Reality documentary|
|2010||Midnight FM||Sayoon||Thriller movie|
|2009–2010||Invincible Youth||KBS2||Regular cast, season 1 as G7 member|
|2010||Waving the Korean Flag||SBS||Regular cast|
|2011||Dancing with the Stars||MBC||Contestant|
|2012||Birth of a Family 2||KBS2||Regular cast|
Awards and nominations
|Golden Disk Awards|
|Gaon Chart Awards|
|Mnet Asian Music Awards|
|2010||Best Dance Performance – Solo||"Change"||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Dance Performance - Solo||Nominated|
|Artist of the Year||Hyuna||Nominated|
|Best Female Artist||Nominated|
|Melon Music Awards|
|2012||Global Star Award||Hyuna||Nominated|
|Mnet 20's Choice Awards|
|SBS MTV Best of the Best|
|Best Solo Female||Nominated|
|Best Cameo||"Gangnam Style"||Nominated|
|Best Collaboration with PSY||"Oppa Is Just My Style"||Nominated|
|Seoul Music Awards|
|2013||Bonsang Award||"Ice Cream"||Nominated|
|2015||Dance Performance Award||"Red"||Won|
|YinYueTai V-Chart Awards|
|2013||Best Korean Female Artist||Hyuna||Won|
|World Music Awards|
|2014||World's Best Female Artist||Hyuna||Nominated|
|World's Best Live Act||Nominated|
|World's Best Entertainer of the Year||Nominated|
|SBS PopAsia Awards|
|2014||Best Solo Artist||Hyuna||Nominated|
Music show awards
- Robert Michael Poole (November 16, 2012). "HEY, SEXY LADY: HYUNA, KPOP'S GANGNAM GIRL". Interview. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- "Hyuna leaves Wonder Girls". August 1, 2007.
- "Wondergirls前成员贤雅回归歌谣届" (in Chinese). Sina. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- 데뷔하루 앞둔 포미닛 "라이브 걱정없어, 실력으로 승부하겠다" (in Korean). Newsen. April 4, 2010.
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 85. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "K-pop stars scholarships irk students". The Korea Times. July 18, 2011. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- Wu, Jianheng Ken (host) (January 22, 2010). "娛樂E世代 (Entertainment E Generation)". 中廣流行網 (BCC I Like Radio) (in Chinese). 40:21 minutes in. BCC.
- Wu, Jianheng Ken (host) (January 22, 2010). "娛樂E世代 (Entertainment E Generation)". 中廣流行網 (BCC I Like Radio) (in Chinese). 40:21 minutes in. BCC.
- 원더걸스, 첫 쇼케이스서 '열정의 신고식' (in Korean). My Daily. February 13, 2009. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- Yang, Jeff. Asian Pop: Next stop, Wonderland. San Francisco Chronicle. April 9, 2008. Retrieved March 2, 2009.
- (Korean) Kim, Hyeon-wu.데뷔 하루 앞둔 포미닛 “라이브 걱정없어, 실력으로 승부하겠다” (Morning Before Debut, 4minute States "We Do Not Worry About Live Performance; We Will Win Through Talent"). Joins.com/Newsen. June 17, 2009. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- (Korean) 복받은 이동건, 가인-한승연-유이-현아와 무슨관계? ‘4투모로우 뮤비 출연’ (Lucky Lee Dong-gun, What Connection with Gain-Han Seungyeon-Uee-Hyuna? "4 Tomorrow Music Video Participation"). Joins.com/Newsen. October 12, 2009. Retrieved January 16, 2010.
- (Korean) ‘솔로’ 현아, 음원 랭킹 상위권… 화제의 검색어 1위 ("Solo" Hyun-a, Top Ranked Song...#1 Search Term). Joins.com. January 6, 2010. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- (Korean) Kim, Hyeong-wu. ‘섹시 고딩’ 현아 ‘명품 복근 댄스’ 주말 내내 가요계 강타 ("Sexy High School Student" Hyun-a's "Luxury Muscle Dance" Throws Hefty Punch at Pop Music). Joins.com/Newsen. January 10, 2010. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- "GDA Artiste Profile: HyunA". Hype Malaysia. Dec 19, 2012.
- 현아, 뮤비 19금(禁) 판정 “선정성 이유, 재심의 요청할 것”. Newsen. January 14, 2010.
- 포미닛 현아·낯선 ‘황야의 무법자’, 박명수·제시카의 ‘냉면’ 될까. My Daily. June 8, 2010.
- 현아-낯선 부른 이트라이브 ‘황야의 무법자’ 제 2의 ‘냉면’ 될까?. Newsen. June 8, 2010.
- Ji Hyun & Hyuna to cameo in thriller movie "Late Night FM"[dead link]
- "SS501 Heo Young-saeng to release solo album on May 12", 10 Asia. May 4, 2011. Retrieved October 31, 2011
- (Korean) 포미닛 현아, 오디션쇼 '댄싱 위드 더 스타' 출연 확정. nate. May 20, 2011. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "Hyuna's Latest Music Video Too Racy for TV Censors", Chosun Ilbo, August 5, 2011
- "4Minute's Hyun=a make into Billboard '21 Under 21'". Billboard. September 27, 2011. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "Cube to launch co-ed unit ‘Trouble Maker’ with B2ST’s Hyunseung and HyunA", allkpop. Nov. 2011.
- Aaron, Charles (December 9, 2011). "SPIN's 20 Best Songs of 2011". Spin.com. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- GhostWriter (March 14, 2012). "Hyuna to launch her own fashion brand, ‘Hyuna x SPICYCOLOR’". allkpop.
- Mallika Rao (August 15, 2012). "'Gangnam Style' Becomes 'Oppa Is Just My Style': PSY's 'Girl Version' Followup, Featuring Hyuna (VIDEO)". Huffington Post. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- halves in unison (October 22, 2012). "HyunA's "Ice Cream" MV Released and Psy Cameos | Soompi". Soompi. Retrieved October 22, 2012.
- thunderstix (October 26, 2012). "HyunA's "Ice Cream" MV Ties Girls' Generation's Record for Fastest to 10 Million Views | Soompi". Soompi. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (October 17, 2012). "4Minute Hyuna’s Upcoming Solo Album to Include Co-Penned, Co-Written Track, ‘Very Hot’". CJ E&M enewsWorld.
- 이연정 (October 17, 2012). "포미닛 현아 신곡 '베리 핫' 방송 불가 판정". Yonhap news.
- elliefilet (October 17, 2012). "HyunA’s “Very Hot” banned from KBS and MBC". allkpop.
- 윤효정 (November 11, 2012). "현아 선정성논란에 "감당하기 어려웠지만... 나만의 재능" 심경". TV Daily. Archived from the original on April 20, 2014.
- jennywill (November 13, 2012). "Hara, HyunA, and Hyorin to take Lee Hyori’s trademark spot as soju models". allkpop.
- Benjamin, Jeff (December 28, 2012). "The Color of K-Pop: HyunA, Yo Seob and K-Pop All-Stars Unite for Charity Singles". Billboard. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- jhezwafu (October 24, 2012). "SBS prepares project groups for year-end show". Daily K Pop News.
- jennywill (December 26, 2012). "Dazzling Red (HyunA, Nana, Hyorin, Hyosung, Nicole) release “This Person”". allkpop.
- pkdance (December 27, 2012). "Eru releases digital single “Don’t Hurt” feat. 4minute’s HyunA". allkpop.
- jennywill (February 18, 2013). "HyunA selected as new model for 'G by Guess'". Allkpop.com. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- KPOP. "4minute Hyuna enthusiastic support poor children's charity". Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- Lee, Kim (March 7, 2013). "Hyuna Spokesmodel For Toyota Corolla MY COLOR". 24-7kpop.com. Archived from the original on March 12, 2013. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Radu, Mihnea (March 29, 2013). "K-Pop Star HyunA "Goes Places" in Toyota Corolla [Video] [Photo Gallery]". Auto Evolution.
- "포미닛 현아, SNL 출연 "19禁 섹시 코미디, 자신"".
- "Trouble Maker signals a sexy return with video + image teaser". Allkpop. 6Theory Media. October 23, 2013. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "트러블메이커, 통했다..10개 음원차트 퍼펙트 올킬". Osen. Korea. October 28, 2013. Lay summary – Loveindacube.wordpress.com (October 28, 2013).
- Oak, Jessica (July 27, 2013). "'K-Pop Night Out' Returns for SXSW 2014 With HyunA, Jay Park & More". Billboard. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Winkie, Luke (March 12, 2014). "SXSW Live Shot: HyunA: Korean superstar ropes in even Lady Gaga - Music". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (March 12, 2014). "4minute's Hyuna to appear in 'Funny or Die' with Rita Ora". Yahoo Celebrity. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Preview photos of HyunA and Rita Ora's 'Funny or Die' video released". Allkpop. 6Theory Media. March 26, 2014. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "HyunA and Rita Ora Compete in a "Walk Off" in "Better Walk" Video for Funny or Die". Soompi. July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- "Hyuna transforms into a female warrior for 'Mystic Fighter'". DK Pop News. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "HyunA to make her solo comeback in July". Allkpop. 6Theory Media. June 25, 2014.
- "HyunA's Upcoming Solo TV Show Announces Official Name and Premier Date". Soompi. July 15, 2014.
- "HyunA gets ready for 'A Talk' with sexy teaser images for her solo return + new reality program". Allkpop. 6Theory Media. July 15, 2014.
- Benjamin, Jeff (July 16, 2014). "HyunA Poses Topless to Announce New Single". Billboard.
- 4Minute's Hyuna becomes new model for 'TonyMoly'
- Jessica Suarez (December 29, 2014). "From Taylor Swift's luxurious mansion freakout to OG Maco's low-budget hotel turn-up, the best clips of the year". Rolling Stone. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- "'패왕색' 현아, 8월 솔로 컴백 '더 아찔해진다' [Hyuna Will Comeback As A Solo Artist in August]". SBS FunE. June 5, 2015.
- (Korean) 현아, 자신감 넘치는 포즈에 드러난 볼륨몸매
- "Hyuna's Tattoo revealed". Koreangirlsgroup.com. January 28, 2011. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- "4minute's HyunA reveals clear view of tattoo dedicated to her mother". Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "현아 타투, 팔 안쪽에 새긴 은밀한 글귀'Tempus' 무슨 뜻?". Boom.seoul.co.kr. April 25, 2013. Archived from the original on October 12, 2013. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Winners from the '29th Golden Disk Awards' (Day 1)!
- "Artists attend "Gaon Charts" grand opening celebration event". Allkpop.com. February 22, 2010. Retrieved February 24, 2010.
- "Nominees for 2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards". Allkpop.com. October 28, 2010. Retrieved October 28, 2010.
- "Winners from the 2011 Mnet Asian Music Awards". Allkpop.com. November 29, 2011. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- "Nominees for the 2012 MAMA Announced". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. October 23, 2012. Retrieved November 13, 2012.
- "Winners from the '2014 MAMA'!". Allkpop.com. December 5, 2014. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- "Winners from the 2012 Mnet '20s Choice Awards'". Allkpop.com. June 28, 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- EXO win Daesang & Winners from the '24th Seoul Music Awards'!
- "Winners from the "1st Annual YinYueTai V-Chart Awards"". officiallykmusic.com. April 16, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HyunA.|