I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015)|
|"I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By"|
|Single by Method Man featuring Mary J. Blige|
|from the album Tical|
|Released||April 25, 1995|
|Format||12" single, CD5"|
|Genre||Hip hop, hip hop soul|
|Producer(s)||RZA (album version and video version)
Sean "Puffy" Combs(radio version)
The song is a remix of Method Man's "All I Need" (which appears on his 1994 debut album Tical), with an interpolation of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's 1968 hit, "You're All I Need to Get By", with Mary J. Blige singing the choruses, and backing vocals. Another version of the song was released, entitled "Puff Daddy Mix," which was produced by Sean Combs. The song contains a new instrumental which includes a repeated sample ("Lie together, cry together/I swear to God I hope we fuckin' die together") from The Notorious B.I.G.'s "Me & My Bitch". Another remix version, titled "Razor Sharp Mix" was produced by RZA. The song sold 800,000 copies and was certified platinum by the RIAA.
The song peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on June 3, 1995, and #1 on the R&B singles chart in the May 20, 1995 issue of Billboard Magazine - a position it held for three weeks. The song also ended up winning the duo the Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group in 1996. Method Man has stated he has not received any publishing for this song.
"I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By" appears on Radio 1 Established 1967, a compilation album celebrating the 40th anniversary of BBC Radio 1.
In a July 2012 interview with Complex magazine, Jean Claude "Poke" Olivier- one-half of the production team the Trackmasters- claimed they were the actual producers behind the Sean "Puffy" Combs remix, but were never properly credited for it. Instead, they were only credited as session musicians for programming the drums while Combs was credited as the producer.
- Method Man - performer
- Mary J. Blige - vocals
- Puff Daddy - remix
- RZA - production; remix
- Jeff Trotter - A&R
|UK Singles Chart||10|
|Canadian Hot 100||1|
|Billboard Hot R&B Singles||1|
|Billboard Hot Rap Singles||1|
|Billboard Hot 100||3|
|Year End Chart (1995)||Position|
|Billboard Hot 100||10|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||42|
- "Best-Selling Records of 1995". Billboard (BPI Communications) 108 (3): 56. January 20, 1996. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "American certifications – Method Man – I%27ll Be There for You". Recording Industry Association of America.
- Billboard - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 396.
- "VH1′s 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs". Stereogum. 2008-09-29. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- 1. Method Man f/ Mary J. Blige "All I Need/I'll Be There For You" (1995) — The 25 Best Hip-Hop Love Songs | Complex
- Ahmed, Insanul. "Trackmasters Tell All: The Stories Behind Their Classic Records (Part 1)". Complex Music. complex.com. Retrieved 8/9/2012. Check date values in:
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1995". Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- Talty, Stephan (August 13, 1995). "The No. 1 Summer Song of Love". The New York Times Magazine (New York: The New York Times Company).
- "I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By" music video for the on YouTube, Puff Daddy mix (MTV.com)