I'm with Her (band)
I'm with Her
I'm with Her is an American band consisting of singer-songwriter–multi-instrumentalists Sara Watkins (violin and guitar), Sarah Jarosz (banjo, mandolin and guitar), and Aoife O'Donovan (keyboard and guitar).
When Sarah Jarosz was nine years old, she met Sara Watkins at a festival. Both of them grew up with bluegrass music. Jarosz began playing the mandolin when she was ten, and Aoife O'Donovan noticed her when she was fifteen. O'Donovan said about Jarosz:
You were this amazing young person. You just had so much confidence and skill but you were never, like, "Look at me, I'm so good and I'm so young, heh heh heh." You always seemed like a peer.
Watkins, Jarosz and O'Donovan started collaborating at a workshop at the 2014 Telluride Bluegrass Festival, where they had been asked to sing together. They performed for the first time at the January 2015 Celtic Connections festival in Scotland, and continued to tour in Europe. In mid-2015, they wrote songs together for four days in Los Angeles, where Watkins lives. In December that year, they wrote for eight days at a farmhouse in Vermont with a hot tub and a wood-burning fireplace, surrounded by snow and near a barn with horses. The group began using the phrase "I'm with Her" as their tour name in early 2015. The phrase was later adopted by the 2016 Hillary Clinton presidential campaign, unrelated to the band.
The group covered John Hiatt's "Crossing Muddy Waters" in 2015, and released the single "Little Lies" in 2017, touring the US later that year. They recorded their debut album See You Around at Real World Studios in Bath, Somerset, England, three weeks after they had written it. The album was co-produced by Ethan Johns and released on February 16, 2018. American singer-songwriter Gillian Welch wrote the album's last track "Hundred Miles"; the trio is credited with writing all other songs on the album. The group toured in the U.S. and in Europe in the first half of 2018.
- 2015: "Crossing Muddy Waters" / "Be My Husband" (Sugar Hill)
- 2017: "Little Lies" (Rounder)
- 2017: "Send My Love (to Your New Lover) – [Live – Feat. Paul Kowert]" (Rounder)
Awards and nominations
|2018||Americana Music Association||Duo/Group of the Year||Nominated|
- Pareles, Jon (March 13, 2018). "In Its Own Quiet Way, I'm With Her Is a Supergroup". The New York Times. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- John, Emma (February 18, 2018). "I'm With Her: 'We're about camaraderie, not Hillary'". The Guardian. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Pareles, Jon (December 11, 2015). "Review: I'm With Her, Three Americana Virtuosos". The New York Times. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Greenberg, Rudi (March 8, 2018). "Folk supergroup I'm With Her wasn't meant to be a band. Then they all clicked". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- Lewis, Randy (February 14, 2018). "Three distinct voices and careers merge in I'm With Her". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- "A Bluegrass Debutante, A High School Graduate". NPR. June 14, 2009. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Cirisano, Tatiana (January 26, 2018). "Folk Power Trio I'm With Her On Crafting Its Name Before Hillary Clinton's Campaign". Billboard. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- Hallenbeck, Brent (November 8, 2018). "I'm With Her; Sarah Jarosz, Aoife O'Donovan, Sara Watkins wrote much of album in Vermont". The Burlington Free Press. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- Gold, Adam (July 19, 2017). "Watch Folk Supergroup I'm With Her Perform New Song 'Little Lies'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Levenson, Luke (January 5, 2018). "Hear Roots Supergroup I'm With Her's Mesmerizing New Song 'Game to Lose'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- McKenna, Brittney (January 26, 2018). "Hear Roots Trio I'm With Her's Harmony-Rich New Song 'Overland'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Hyman, Dan (February 28, 2018). "Americana supergroup I'm With Her had the name before the Clinton campaign slogan". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- "Honors & Awards". Americana Music Association. 2018. Retrieved December 3, 2018.