|Lehendakari of the Basque Government|
|Assumed office |
15 December 2012
|Monarch||Juan Carlos I (2012–2014)|
Felipe VI (2014–present)
|Vice Lehendakari||Josu Erkoreka (First) |
Idoia Mendia (Second)
|Preceded by||Patxi López|
|Chairman of the Basque Nationalist Party|
18 January 2008 – 12 January 2013
|Preceded by||Josu Jon Imaz|
|Succeeded by||Andoni Ortuzar|
|Member of the Basque Parliament|
|Born||18 September 1961|
Alonsotegi (Biscay), Basque Country Spain
|Political party||Basque Nationalist Party|
|Alma mater||University of Deusto|
Íñigo Urkullu Renteria (born 18 September 1961) is a Spanish politician, and the current Lehendakari (President) of the Basque Government since 2012. In that function he headed the First, Second and Third Urkullu Governments of the Basque Autonomous Community of Spain.
Urkullu graduated in Teaching, specialized in Basque language, from the University of Deusto. He was the Basque Nationalist Party chairman from 2008 to 2013 when he was succeeded by Andoni Ortuzar, since the party's rules do not allow a Lehendakari to be the party's chairman at the same time.
He was the Biscay leader of the party from 2004 to 2008 and has been a member since 1996. He was the director of the Biscay foral Department for Youth and Social Services from 1987 to 1994 and served in the Basque Parliament from 1984 to 1987 and from 1994 to 2005 (during the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th sittings of the parliament).
Amid the 2017-18 Spanish constitutional crisis, Urkullu tried to mediate between the Spanish and Catalan governments to avoid the declaration of independence and the application of Article 155, but these attempts failed. He declared as a witness in the Trial of Catalonia independence leaders on 28 February 2019.
- "Íñigo Urkullu ha sido reelegido presidente del PNV". RTVE.es (in Spanish). January 15, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- "Íñigo Urkullu: "En ausencia de violencia hay que dejar paso a la política"". elimparcial.es (in Spanish). June 26, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- Cambio 16. Información y Revistas, S.A. January 1, 2008. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- Pozas, Alberto (February 27, 2019). "De Mariano Rajoy a Iñigo Urkullu: qué tiene que contar cada testigo". Cadena SER (in Spanish). Madrid. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- "Juicio al 'procés': Urkullu reconoce su papel mediador entre Rajoy y Puigdemont". El Plural (in Spanish). February 28, 2019. Archived from the original on February 28, 2019. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
| Lehendakari of the Basque Country
|Party political offices|
Josu Jon Imaz
| President of the Basque Nationalist Party