Left Alone (song)
|Song by Mal Waldron|
Mal Waldron began working as pianist for Holiday in mid-1953. Holiday had intended to record the song a number of times but "always forget the damned sheet music." However, Waldron himself recorded the song on his 1959 album Left Alone, and near the end of the LP discusses the origin of the song.
Waldon frequently performed the song for albums, often with tenor saxophonist Johnny Griffin (who also played on the Left Alone album). Version are included in Mal: Live 4 to 1 (1971), Like Old Times (1976), Left Alone '86 (1986), Into the Light (1989), My Dear Family (1993), and Left Alone Revisited (2002).
Other jazz performers who've recorded the song include:
- Abbey Lincoln – Straight Ahead (with Waldron on piano, 1961)
- Johnny Griffin – White Gardenia (1961).
- Eric Dolphy and Booker Little – Far Cry (1962)
- Kimiko Kasai – One For Lady (with Waldron on piano, 1971)
- Abraham Burton – Closest to the Sun (1994)
- Johnny Griffin and Junko Onishi – Hat Trick (1996)
- Steve Kuhn – Plays Standards (2009)
- Tsuyoshi Yamamoto – Gentle Blues (2013)
An instrumental version of the song appeared on Joe Satriani's Time Machine in 1993. The Satriani version, titled "All Alone", was released as a single, reached No. 21 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart and received a nomination for Best Rock Instrumental Performance at the 1995 Grammy Awards.
- Stuart Nicholson. Billie Holiday. Northeastern University Press. ISBN 1-55553-303-5.
- Billie Holiday. THE BEST OF BILLIE HOLIDAY: Songs Recorded and Made Famous By Lady Day. Hal Leonard Corporation. ISBN 0-7935-3687-1.
- Studio chatter. The Complete Billie Holiday On Verve, 1945-1959. ASIN: B0000046P3, Polygram Records
- Liner Notes for Mal Waldron LP "Left Alone"
- "Time Machine - Joe Satriani | Awards". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "37th Grammy Awards - 1995". Rock On The Net. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Stuart Nicholson, Billie Holiday, ISBN 1-55553-303-5
- Billie Holiday, THE BEST OF BILLIE HOLIDAY: Songs Recorded and Made Famous By Lady Day. Hal Leonard Corporation. ISBN 0-7935-3687-1.
- Donald Clarke, Wishing On the Moon. Viking. ISBN 0-670-83771-7.
- John Chilton, Billie's Blues. Da Capo Preess. ISBN 0-306-80363-1
- John White, Billie Holiday: Her Life and Times ISBN 0-87663-668-7
- Mal Waldron, Left Alone LP Liner Notes ASIN: B00004YR36
- Amazon.com Editorial Review for Mal Waldron CD Left Alone
- Ken Vail, Lady Day's Diary. Sanctuary Publishing. ISBN 1-86074-131-2