I'm Looking Out the Window
"I'm Looking Out the Window" is a ballad written by Don Raye and John Jacob Niles. Peggy Lee first recorded the song as a B-side for her 1959 single "Hallelujah, I Love Him So". The song is best known as a hit record for Cliff Richard in 1962 in numerous countries (excluding the U.S.).
The authorship of the song has not always been clear. Peggy Lee's original release on Capitol Records was credited to Don Raye. Cliff Richard's release on Columbia was credited to John Jacob Niles. The Songwriter's Hall of Fame now credits it to both.
Cliff Richard version
|"I'm Lookin' Out the Window"|
|Single by Cliff Richard|
|B-side||"Do You Want to Dance"|
|Released||May 1962 |
|Recorded||11 December 1961, Abbey Road Studios|
|Songwriter(s)||John Jacob Niles|
|Cliff Richard singles chronology|
Cliff Richard with The Norrie Paramor Orchestra recorded it for release as a single in 1962. It reached number 2 in the UK singles chart and was successful in numerous other countries. It was only Cliff's second song released as a single without the backing of his band The Shadows (known as The Drifters on his first five singles).
The song was somewhat overshadowed by its upbeat B-side, Do You Want to Dance, which gained its own UK chart position of number 10 in the New Musical Express singles chart (as it allowed separate listing of B-sides). Notably, it also became the sole or primary listed song of the single in some countries' charts (refer to the Chart Performance section below). As was more usual on singles in the early part of Cliff's career, Do You Want to Dance also featured The Shadows backing Cliff.
Chart entries as I'm Looking Out the Window/Do You Want to Dance:
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||18|
Chart entries as "Do You Want to Dance" or "Do You Want to Dance/I'm Looking Out the Window":
|UK (New Musical Express Chart)||10|
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||3|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||4|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||1|
- French singer Francois Feguelt recorded a French version titled "Deja le jour se leve" (1963).
- Nancy Holloway also recorded a version of "Deja le jour se leve" as the B-side of her single "Prends garde a toi".
- "Songwriter's Hall of Fame - Don Raye". The Songwriters Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2014-06-26.
- "Peggy Lee - I'm Looking Out The Window". discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-06-26.
- "Cliff Richard - I'm Looking Out The Window". 45cat.com. Retrieved 2014-06-26.
- "Cliff Richard Song Database - 1960s Songs". Cliffrichardsongs.com. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- "Cliff Richard: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.
- Read, Mike; Goodall, Nigel; Lewry, Peter (1993). The Complete Chronicle Cliff Richard (doc). Hamlyn, London. ISBN 0-600-57897-6.
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (18 August 1962). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. p. 22. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Lassila, Juha (1990). Mitä Suomi soittaa?: Hittilistat 1954-87 (in Finnish). Jyväskylän yliopisto. ISBN 95-168-0321-0.
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (11 August 1962). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. p. 34. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Chart Track: Week 20, 1962". Irish Singles Chart.
- "New Zealand Lever Hit Parade - September 6, 1962". Steve Kohler, Lintas NZ Ltd. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- Billboard did not publish the NZ chart every week. This NZ chart (source unknown) has the song at number 3. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (29 September 1962). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. pp. 19–. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Cliff Richard – I'm Lookin' Out The Window". VG-lista.
- Johansson, Carl-Owe (1980). Rock Around the Clock - Saturday Night Fever 1955-1978 (doc). Vara, Sweden: Dominique muzic-club.
- Kent, David (2005). Australian Chart Book 1940–1969 (doc). Australian Chart Book Pty Ltd, Turramurra, N.S.W. ISBN 0-646-44439-5.
- "Ultratop.be – Cliff Richard – Do You Wanna Dance" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Cliff Richard – Do You Wanna Dance" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (8 September 1962). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. pp. 40–. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 1979). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- International News Reports, Belgium, second paragraph Nielsen Business Media, Inc. (9 March 1963). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. p. 24. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Nancy Holloway - Deja le jour se leve". groovecollector.com. Retrieved 2014-06-26.