I-95 soccer rivalries
This article possibly contains original research. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
There are several soccer rivalries between teams located in cities along Interstate 95. Often referred to individually as the I-95 derby there are several I-95 soccer rivalries. Any game between a team based along this highway can colloquially be referenced as an I-95 derby.
Teams based along I-95
Major I-95 derbies
Some of the most heated rivalries are between clubs that are geographically close together, or clubs that play in the same league, including:
- Atlantic Cup – between D.C. United and New York Red Bulls – This rivalry is often considered one of the most intense rivalries of original MLS franchises, and one of the most intense rivalries on the East Coast
- Hudson River Derby – between New York City FC and New York Red Bulls – This rivalry features Major League Soccer's two clubs based in the New York metropolitan area.
- Shertz–Gemmel Cup/Colonial Cup – between D.C. United and Philadelphia Union. Known by some as the "friendly derby" of the United States.
Other I-95 derbies
- D.C. United–New England Revolution: historically, two of the most successful franchises in the Eastern Conference.
- D.C. United–Philadelphia Union
- New York Red Bulls–New England Revolution
- Panizo, Franco. "New York Red Bulls' Andy Roxburgh says impending rivalry with New York City FC a good thing".
- Lewis, Brian. "New York Soccer Rivalry Already Brewing". New York Post. NYPost.com.
- Prince-Wright, Joe. "New York City FC, Red Bulls rivalry heating up already".
- Wine II, Donald. "The Shertz-Gemmell Cup is the right name for the DC-Philadelphia rivalry". Black and Red United. SB Nation. Retrieved May 14, 2016.
- Stubbs, Roman (June 19, 2015). "D.C. United, New England Revolution set to add another chapter to rich rivalry". The Washington Post. WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- "Story Stream: Philadelphia Union vs. D.C. United news, updates, and highlights". The Brotherly Game. SB Nation. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- "Revs, Red Bull renew I-95 rivalry". Fox News. May 2013.