|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
i-D is a British magazine dedicated to fashion, music, art and youth culture. i-D was founded by designer and former Vogue art director Terry Jones in 1980. The first issue was published in the form of a hand-stapled fanzine with text produced on a typewriter. Over the years the magazine evolved into a mature glossy but it has kept street style and youth culture central.
i-D has also held exhibitions worldwide and published several books.
The magazine is known for its innovative photography and typography and as a training ground for fresh talent. Photographers Wolfgang Tillmans, Mario Testino, Terry Richardson, Craig McDean, Nick Knight and Juergen Teller started their careers at i-D, as did Dylan Jones and Caryn Franklin. Other photographers that have contributed to i-D include Ellen von Unwerth and Kayt Jones.
People who have appeared in i-D include Madonna, John Galliano, Alexander McQueen, Kanye West, Helmut Lang, Franz Ferdinand, Chloë Sevigny, Raf Simons, Undercover, Veronique Branquinho, Lily Cole, Giles Deacon, Dizzee Rascal, Scarlett Johansson, Rick Owens, Selena Gomez, Rihanna, Pedro and Liv Fontaine.
In 1984, Tony Elliott of (Time Out) became a publishing partner with 51% share of the company. Jones remained editor-in-chief and creative director, but he also worked on other commercial projects. In 2004, Jones - together with his wife Tricia, regained total control of the company. Vice Media acquired i-D in 2012.
The magazine pioneered the hybrid style of documentary/fashion photography called The Straight Up. At first, these were of punks and new wave youth found on English streets and who were simply asked to stand against any nearby blank wall. The resulting pictures—the subjects facing the camera and seen from "top to toe"—are a vivid historical documentary photography archive, and have established the posed "straight up" as a valid style of documentary picture-making.
i-D's 25th anniversary in 2005 was celebrated with an exhibition (i-Dentity) and guest-edited issues. Terry Jones invited a number of creative collaborators to work with him on different identity issues. The collaborators included Ashley Heath, M/M Paris, Alex McDowell, Simon Foxton and Stephen Male, Nick Knight, David Lipman and Peter Saville (December 2005).
The editors of i-D have been:
- Terry Jones (1980–present)
- Dylan Jones (1986–1988)
- Caryn Franklin (1986–1988)
- Alix Sharkey (1988–1989)
- John Godfrey (1988–1990)
- Matthew Collin (1991–1994)
- Avril Mair (1994–2005)
- Glenn Waldron (2005–2006)
- Ben Reardon (2006–2010)
- Holly Shackleton (2010–Present)
- A Decade of i-Deas, the Encyclopaedia of the '80s. Compiled and Produced by i-D Magazine. Edited by John Godfrey. London: Penguin, 1990. ISBN 0-14-012952-9.
- Family Future Positive. Terry and Tricia Jones, and Avril Mair. London: i-D, 1998. ISBN 978-0-9512928-0-8.
- SMILE i-D. Fashion and Style. 20 years of i-D magazine. Terry Jones. London: i-D, 2000 / Taschen, Cologne. ISBN 3-8228-5778-5.
- Fashion Now. i-D selects the world's 150 most important designers. Terry Jones and Avril Mair. Cologne: Taschen, 2003. ISBN 3-8228-2187-X.
- Fashion Now 2. i-D selects the world's 160 most important designers. Terry Jones and Susie Rushton. Cologne: Taschen, 2005. ISBN 3-8228-4241-9.
- Safe+Sound. Terry and Tricia Jones. London: i-D, 2007. ISBN 978-0-9552174-1-8.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Smile i-D. Initially launched in 2001 to celebrate i-D's 20th birthday, Smile i-D highlighted the spirit of the magazine. Since then, the show toured internationally, growing with each destination to include new material. Wapping Hydraulic Power Station, London, April 2001; Armani flagship store, Milan, June 2001; Espace Cardin, Paris, October 2001; Art Directors Club, New York, November 2001; El Dorrego, Buenos Aires, October/November 2003; Laboratorio Arte Alameda, Mexico City, February 2004; Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Santiago, Chile, April 2004; Corp Banca, Caracas, July 2004; "+7.095.Art" gallery, Moscow, April 2007.
- i-Dentity. The exhibition focused on identity, using still images, film, sound and smell. Fashion and Textile Museum, London, October 2005 (to celebrate i-D's 25th anniversary) then toured to New York, February 2006; Hong Kong, April 2006; Tokyo, April 2006; Beijing, May 2006.
- Safe+Sound. London College of Fashion, London, February 2007; CP Company, Milan, April 2007.
- Taylor, Steve & Brody, Neville. 100 Years of Magazine Covers. London: Black Dog Publishing, 2006. ISBN 978-1-904772-42-2.
- "i-D magazine: Identity parade". The Independent. London. 15 October 2005. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- Ane Lynge-Jorlén (2012). "Between Frivolity and Art: Contemporary Niche Fashion Magazines". Fashion Theory. 16 (1). Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Liv Fontaine | i-D". i-D. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- Vice aims high following acquisition of UK style magazine i-D