||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Kaohsiung Polytechnic Institute (高雄工學院)|
Motto in English
|Pragmatism and Innovation|
|Established||1986 (as Kaohsiung Polytechnic Institute)
1997 (as ISU)
|President||Dr. Jei-fu Shaw (蕭介夫)|
|Vice-president||Dr. Julia L. Lin (林麗娟)
Dr. Liang-cheng Lee (李樑堅)
|Provost||Dr. Jaw-min Chou (周兆民)|
|Dean||Dr. Chin-wen Chuang (莊景文)
Dr. Chih-sheng Ku (古志生)
Dr. Tai-kuang Peng (彭台光)
Dr. Kuo-hsiang Chen (陳國祥)
Dr. Chang-yung Liu (劉常勇)
Dr. Shang-pao Ye (葉上葆)
Dr. Mavis Shang (尚惠芳)
Dr. Han-jung Chen (陳翰容)
Dr. Sasala Taban (台邦.撒沙勒)
|Founder||Mr. I-shou Lin(林義守)|
No. 8, Yida Rd.,
Kaoshiung City 82445,
Formerly known as Kaohsiung Polytechnic Institute (KPI),I-Shou University (ISU; Chinese: 義守大學) is a private university located in Dashu District, Kaohsiung, Taiwan. ISU was established in 1986 by Mr. I-Shou Lin, the founder of E United Group, to commemorate his mother as well as benefit the villages and towns where he started his business. It was also Mr. Lin’s way of giving back to the society and accomplishing his lifelong mission of nurturing highly educated professionals for the country. By adhering to the school motto: Pragmatism and Innovation, KPI was officially upgraded and renamed I-Shou University on August 1, 1997.
Currently ISU has nine colleges and one center: College of Electrical & Information Engineering, College of Science & Engineering, College of Management, College of Communication & Design, International College, College of Tourism & Hospitality, College of Language Arts, College of Medicine, College of Indigenous Studies, and Center for General Education. In 2016, it has 41 departments offering 20 master’s programs, 7 doctoral programs, 4 bachelor’s degree programs for indigenous peoples, 16 evening bachelor's degree programs, 2 two-year in-service bachelor's degree programs, and 11 in-service master’s programs. With the progress in academic research and the expansion of various departments, ISU has gradually become an international comprehensive university that champions Intellectual innovation, Social engagement, and Universal sustainability.
In 2014, ISU was endorsed by the National Academy of Investors as one of the top 100 Worldwide Universities Granted U.S. Utility Patents and included in the list of prominent innovation universities. In terms of university ranking, ISU was ranked among the top 800 universities in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015-2016. In particular, ISU was ranked 344th worldwide under the index of industry income. According to the most recent rankings released in June 2016, ISU was ranked among the top 200 universities in the Times Higher Education Asia University Ranking 2016.
In 2016, the College of Management, the College of Tourism and Hospitality, and the International College received the AACSB (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accreditation. ISU is the 14th institution that earns the AACSB accreditation in Taiwan and considered to be the first university in the world receiving the three-college accreditation with one review visit.
- 1986: Kaohsiung Polytechnic Institute was founded.
- 1990: Initial student recruitment
- 1997: The Institute was renamed as I-Shou University.
- 1999: The establishment of the Yanchao Campus was approved.
- 2006: The Yanchao Campus was inaugurated.
- 2009: The International College was established, providing students with a total immersion learning environment in English.
- 2010: Initial student recruitment for the School of Chinese Medical for Post Baccalaureate.
- 2011: The College of Communication & Design and the College of Tourism & Hospitality were established.
- 2012: Initial student recruitment for the bachelor's degree Program for Indigenous Peoples in Communication & Design and the bachelor's degree Program for Indigenous Peoples in Tourism & Hospitality.
- 2013: Initial student recruitment for the School of Medicine for International Students and the bachelor's degree Program for Indigenous Peoples in Nursing. The College of Medicine was officially established after 13 years' effort.
- 2014: The Yanchao Campus was renamed as the Medical Campus.
- 2015: Initial student recruitment for the bachelor's degree Program for Indigenous Peoples in Long-term Care.
- 2016: The College of Indigenous Studies was established.
Educational Objective & Vision
- Educational Objective: Nurturing students to become pragmatic and innovative professionals who have good manners, behave with integrity, and always show their dynamism.
- Vision:I-Shou University aims to be an international comprehensive university that champions Intellectual innovation, Social engagement, and Universal sustainability.
- Emphasize practicability
The courses designed and offered at ISU all follow the principle of “Integrate theory with practice, emphasize both instruction and practicum.” Faculty members are encouraged to instruct students in conducting research of both practical and academic value. Hence, students can combine both theory and practice, and apply what they have learned in their future career.
- Promote the integration of teaching and academic research
Both the curriculum and the establishment of new departments/institutes are well planned to reach the goal of interdepartmental integration. ISU puts the emphasis on the instruction of interdisciplinary knowledge, and it also encourages integrated academic research projects.
- Work closely in collaboration with industries
In addition to collaboration with companies affiliated with E United Group, ISU actively seeks opportunities to work with other business entities for internship programs. By so doing, students are provided with more hands-on experience that would prepare them for the job market in different sectors. Currently, over 400 business entities work hand in hand with ISU in the form of industry-university collaboration, including industries of technology, electronics, medical services, iron & steel, hospitality, department stores, and hotels. ISU aspires to meet the needs of different industries, cultivate professional talents, and carry out university-specific research projects. Thanks to a favorable geographical location and active collaboration with industries, ISU is blessed with convenience for teaching and practicum and more access to cooperative education as compared with any other university.
- Coordinate with regional features
Kaohsiung City is the heartland of Taiwan’s heavy industry, chemical industry and iron & steel industry, forming a dense cluster of small and medium-sized enterprises in electrical & electronic engineering, machinery and chemical manufacturing. Thus, talents with different professions are highly required both in Nanzih area and the City. Besides, a distinct management method is required in Kaohsiung City, as it shares no similarities with central and northern Taiwan in terms of economic conditions, population structure and social conditions. ISU, therefore, has taken these regional features into consideration when doing planning for the establishment of departments/institutes, the curriculum and the teaching content.
|1990-2011||Dr. Shen-li Fu|
|2011-2012||Dr. Wan-long Hong (Acting)|
|2012–Present||Dr. Jei-fu Shaw|
- As of February 17, 2016, ISU has entered into partnership with 122 universities and colleges in Europe, the United States, Australia, Northeast Asia, and Southeast Asia; and 325 universities, colleges and high schools in mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macao (universities & colleges: 123; high schools: 202).
- As of February 17, 2016, ISU has entered into partnership with 121 China-based universities and colleges, including 22 categorized as Project 985 universities and 28 categorized as Project 211 universities.
|THE Asia University Rankings||2016||191-200|
|THE World University Rankings||2015-2016||600-800|
|Webometrics Rankings of World Universities||2016||908|
|UI GreenMetric World University Ranking||2015||5 (Taiwan)|
|Center for World University Ranking||2014||994|
Evaluations & Accreditation
- 2016: The College of Management, the College of Tourism and Hospitality, and the International College were accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
- 2015: All the engineering-related departments passed the IEET (Institute of Engineering Education Taiwan) Accreditation, and the accreditation is valid for a period of three years.
- 2014: All the departments established for three years or more passed the Second-Cycle Program Evaluation.
- 2013: ISU passed both the 2013 Evaluation of General Education and the Second-Cycle Program Evaluation.
- 2013: ISU was ranked as “Recommended” (the highest level) for the 2012 Evaluation Plan of Learning Environment for International Students in Taiwanese Universities/Colleges by the Foundation for International Cooperation in Higher Education of Taiwan.
- 2012: The IMBA Program of the College of Management was ranked as “Highly Recommended” for the evaluation of English-taught degree programs by the Ministry of Education.
- 2012: All the engineering-related departments passed the IEET (Institute of Engineering Education Taiwan) Accreditation with a validity of three years.
- 2011: ISU passed all ﬁve categories of the Institutional Accreditation.
- 2011: ISU received “Recommended” for the evaluation of English-taught degree programs of the Ministry of Education.
- Service Excellence: Te-sung Chen, Principal of Kao Ying Industrial Commercial Vocational High School
- Service Excellence: Chao-wen Hsueh, Attending Physician of Kaohsiung Armed Force General Hospital
- Academic Excellence: Fei-yi Hung, Professor of Department of Materials Science and Engineering, National Cheng Kung University
- Special Contributions: Wen-huai Lee, Operator of San He Flour Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- Service Excellence: Long-sheng Xu, Secretary-General of Kaohsiung City Council
- Service Excellence: Wen-zong Zheng, Principal of Kaohsiung Municipal Sanmin Senior High School
- Service Excellence: Tu-chin Tsai, President of Sun Beam Tech Industrial Co., Ltd.
- Academic Excellence: Jia-zhang Wu, Dean of College of Maritime, National Kaohsiung Marine University
- Service Excellence: Chun-hao Xin, Former Director-General of Local Tax Bureau, Kaohsiung County
- Main Campus
- The Main Campus is situated right in the Guanyinshan area, a famous tourist spot in Kaohsiung City, which is about half hour’s drive from downtown Kaohsiung. The Main Campus has a beautiful and natural environment with European-style buildings, offering an excellent environment for both the faculty and students. The Main Campus accommodates the College of Electrical & Information Engineering, the College of Management, the College of Science & Engineering, the College of Language Arts, the College of Tourism & Hospitality, the College of Communication & Design, the International College, the College of Indigenous Studies, and the Center for General Education.
- Campus Address and Telephone Number:
- Address: No. 1, Sec. 1, Syuecheng Rd., Dashu District, Kaohsiung City 84001, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- Tel: +886-7-657-7711
- Fax: +886-7-657-7056
- Medical Campus
- The Medical Campus, located right across from E-DA Hospital in Yanchao District of Kaohsiung City, was opened in 2006 to accommodate the College of Medicine. ISU was approved by the Ministry of Education to establish the School of Chinese Medicine for Post Baccalaureate in Academic Year 2010, and then the School of Medicine for International Students with all courses taught in English in 2013. To our greater delight, after thirteen years of efforts, the establishment of the College of Medicine was officially approved by the Ministry of Education, showing government recognition of ISU’s quality higher education.
- Campus Address and Telephone Number:
- Address: No. 8, Yida Rd., Yanchao District, Kaohsiung City 82445, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- Tel: +886-7-615-1100