I. Howard Marshall
|I. Howard Marshall|
Ian Howard Marshall|
12 January 1934
|Died||12 December 2015(aged 81)|
|Title||Emeritus Professor of New Testament Exegesis and Honorary Research Professor at the University of Aberdeen|
|Board member of||Chair of the Tyndale Fellowship for Biblical and Theological Research|
|Spouse(s)||Maureen Wing Sheung Yeung|
|Education||Cambridge, Asbury University|
|Alma mater||University of Aberdeen (Ph.D.)|
|Sub-discipline||New Testament studies|
|Institutions||University of Aberdeen|
|Notable works||New Testament Interpretation, Luke: Historian and Theologian & The Gospel of Luke (NIGTC)|
Ian Howard Marshall (12 January 1934 – 12 December 2015) was a Scottish New Testament scholar. He was Professor Emeritus of New Testament Exegesis at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland. He was formerly the chair of the Tyndale Fellowship for Biblical and Theological Research; he was also president of the British New Testament Society and chair of the Fellowship of European Evangelical Theologians. Marshall identified as an Evangelical Methodist. He was the author of numerous publications, including 2005 Gold Medallion Book Award winner New Testament Theology. He died of pancreatic cancer in 2015.
Marshall's main interests in research were the Gospel of Luke and the Acts of the Apostles, the Pastoral Epistles, and aspects of New Testament theology. He was particularly concerned with the work of Luke as both historian and theologian. He contributed to a New Testament introduction for students and edited a revision and updating of Moulton and Geden’s Concordance to the Greek New Testament so that it can be used with the current major editions of the Greek New Testament as well as with older editions.
Marshall was a critic of the Christ myth theory. In his book I Believe in the Historical Jesus he wrote that the idea that Jesus never existed has "failed to make any impression on scholarly opinion."
Marshall married Joyce Proudfoot in 1961 and they had four children. She died in 1996. In 2011, Marshall married Dr. Maureen Wing Sheung Yeung, former president of Evangel Seminary, Hong Kong.
- Kept by the Power of God, Carlisle: Paternoster Press, 1995 (originally Epworth, 1969; Bethany, 1975).
- Luke: Historian and Theologian, Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1970, 1989.
- The Origins of New Testament Christology, Illinois: Intervarsity Press, 1976, updated 1990 Apollos IVP.
- New Testament Interpretation (editor), Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1977, 1979.
- The Gospel of Luke (NIGTC), Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1978.
- I Believe in the Historical Jesus, London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1977.
- The Epistles of John (NICNT), Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1978.
- Acts (TNTC), Leicester: IVP, 1980.
- Last Supper and Lord's Supper, Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1980.
- 1 and 2 Thessalonians (NCB), Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1983.
- Jesus the Saviour: Studies in New Testament Theology, London: SPCK/Downers Grove: IVP, 1990.
- 1 Peter (IVP Commentary Series), Leicester: IVP, 1991.
- The Acts of the Apostles (Sheffield NT Guides), Sheffield Academic Press, 1992.
- The Epistle to the Philippians (Epworth Commentaries), London: Epworth Press, 1992.
- (with K. P. Donfried) The Theology of the Shorter Pauline Letters, Cambridge University Press, 1993.
- I. H. Marshall and D. Peterson (ed.): Witness to the Gospel: The Theology of the Book of Acts (Grand Rapids: * Eerdmans, 1998).
- (in collaboration with Philip H. Towner) A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on The Pastoral Epistles (International Critical Commentary), Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1999.
- Concordance to the Greek New Testament (sixth fully revised edition of the work of Moulton and Geden), London: T&T Clark, 2002.
- (with S.Travis and I. Paul) Exploring the New Testament, Vol. 2. London: SPCK, 2002.
- Beyond the Bible: Moving from Scripture to Theology (with essays by Kevin J. Vanhoozer and Stanley E. Porter) Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2004.
- New Testament Theology: Many Witnesses, One Gospel, Downers Grove/Leicester: Inter-Varsity Press, 2004.
- Aspects of Atonement, London: Paternoster Press, 2007
- MARSHALL, Prof. (Ian) Howard, Who's Who 2014, A & C Black, 2014; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014
- 2005 Christian Book Awards Winners – Reference Works/Commentaries category
- I. HOWARD MARSHALL (1934-2015): A TRIBUTE,” BY DARRELL BOCK December 12, 2015
- Marshall, I. Howard. (1977, republished 2004). I Believe in the Historical Jesus. Regent College Publishing. p. 16. ISBN 1-57383-019-4