This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Limited liability company:|
|Founded||Berlin, Germany (1983)|
|Founder||Prof. Dr. Hermann Appel|
Number of locations
|16 operations across Germany, several Subsidiaries|
|Dr. Ulrich Eichhorn, Chairman of the Managing Board; Matthias Kratzsch, President; Katja Ziegler, President; Dr. Uwe Horn, President|
|Services||Powertrain, Electronics and Vehicle Development|
|Revenue||907 million Euro (2018)|
Number of employees
|7,500 worldwide (2018)|
IAV GmbH (German: Ingenieurgesellschaft Auto und Verkehr, literal Engineer Society Automobile and Traffic), abbreviated to IAV, is an engineering company in the automotive industry, designing products for powertrain, electronics and vehicle development. Founded in Berlin in 1983 by Prof. Dr. Hermann Appel as a university-affiliated research institute, the company employs over 7,000 members of staff, and supplies automobile manufacturers and component suppliers. In addition to development centres in Berlin, Chemnitz and Gifhorn, IAV operates at sites in France, United Kingdom, Italy, Russia, China, India, Japan, South Korea, Brazil, Mexico and the United States.
Clients include the Volkswagen Group, BMW, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Fiat, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Porsche and Toyota. Component manufacturer clients include Robert Bosch GmbH, Delphi, Continental AG and ZF Group.
- Volkswagen Group - 50%
- Continental Automotive GmbH - 20%
- Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG - 10%
- Freudenberg & Co. KG - 10%
- SABIC Innovative Plastics B.V. - 10%
- Consulting4Drive GmbH, Berlin
- IAV S.A.S.U. (France)
- IAV Cars GmbH
- IAV Rus, LLC (Russia)
- IAV U.K. Ltd.
- IAV Fahrzeugsicherheit GmbH & Co. KG, Gifhorn
- TR Engineering powered by IAV GmbH, Neustadt/Weinstraße
- CPU 24/7 GmbH, Potsdam
- IAV Automotive Engineering (Shanghai) Co. Ltd.
- IAV India Private Ltd.
- IAV Japan Co. Ltd.
- IAV Korea Co. Ltd.
- North / South America
- IAV Automotive Engineering Inc. (USA)
- IAV do Brasil Ltda.
- IAV Automotive Engineering de México
In-road electric vehicle charger
In 2009 the company submitted a patent for an electric vehicle recharger that is built into the road. The technology would allow electric vehicles to be charged as they drive over roads embedded with a recessed wireless recharging strip, using electromagnetic induction.
- "IAV in Figures". IAV GmbH. IAV.com. January 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Our Clients". IAV GmbH. IAV.com. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- In-Road Electric Vehicle Charger : Science Fiction in the News
- IAV.com official international portal