This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2016)
|Original author(s)||Information Architects GmbH.|
|Developer(s)||Information Architects GmbH.|
|Initial release||September 22, 2010, for iOS|
|Written in||Objective-C (iOS), Objective-C (macOS), C (Windows), Java (Android)|
iA Writer is a text editor developed by the design company, Information Architects (iA). It was initially released on September 22, 2010 for iOS (iPhone and iPad), May 28, 2011 for macOS and 2018 for Microsoft Windows through a Kickstarter campaign.
iA states that the purpose is "to keep you focused on just writing"; it has a typical layout using what the authors call "writing typography", and is characterized by a monospaced and duospaced fonts (based on IBM Plex Mono font), a blue cursor, and a gray background color. Writer comes without preferences to avoid procrastination in the settings panel.
The app has been "downloaded 600,000 times by everyone from hobbyist writers to the bestselling author Augusten Burroughs." The lack of settings has been subject to some criticism, but has been a declared component of the core concept and, among other things, is part of the reason for the success of iA Writer.
- "A Typographic Christmas", iA Writer blog
- "iPad app takes distraction-free writing to another level". MacWorld.
- "With iA Writer's Oliver Reichenstein: How He Got To 400,000 Downloads With A Super Simple App". Business Insider.
- "iA Writer simplicity at its core". Michael Whitehouse.
- iA Writer for iPhone review, The Verge
- iA Writer for iPad Review, MacWorld
- , Business Insider
- iA Writer for Mac Review. The Next Web