IBM Distributed Office Support System, or DISOSS is a centralized document distribution and filing application for IBM's mainframe computers running the MVS and VSE operating systems. Its counterpart under VM is PROFS. DISOSS ran under both the CICS transaction processing system and the IMS/DS transaction processing system, and later versions used the SNADS architecture of peer to peer communication for distributed services.
DISOSS provided document library function with search and retrieval controlled by security based on user ID, along with document translation based on Document Interchange Architecture (DIA) and Document Content Architecture (DCA). The different systems that used DISOSS for document exchange and distribution varied in their implementation of DCA and thus the end results of some combinations were only final form (FFT) documents rather than revisable form text (RFT).
It supports document exchange between various IBM and non-IBM office devices including the IBM Displaywriter System, the IBM 5520, the IBM 8100/DOSF, IBM Scanmaster, and Personal computers and word processors. It offers format transformation and printing services, and provides a rich application programming interface (API) and interfaced with other office products such as IBM OfficeVision.
DISOSS was introduced in 1980, and "was designated a strategic IBM product in 1982." It was a key part of IBM Systems Application Architecture (SAA), but suffered from a reputation as "difficult to understand" and "a resource hog." DISOSS continues to be actively marketed and supported as of 2012.
- Dix, John (September 22, 1986). "A T & T reveals new message blueprint". Network World. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- Korzeniowski, Paul (November 17, 1986). "Despite itself, DISOSS use spreads". Network World. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Korzeniowski, Paul (May 12, 1986). "Disoss here to stay". Network World. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Raimondi, Donna (November 24, 1986). "Exec promises angry users IBM to improve office system". Computrworld. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- IBM Corporation. "OfficeVision/MVS Details:". Retrieved September 20, 2012.
- IBM Corporation. "Supported product list (May 10, 2012)". Retrieved September 19, 2012.
IBM Corporation: Document Interchange with DISOSS Version 3 (1983)
|This software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|