IBM is a globally integrated enterprise operating in 170 countries. IBM's R&D history in Israel began in 1972 when Professor Josef Raviv established the IBM Israel Scientific Center in the Technion's Computer Science Building in Haifa. Today, over 1000 individuals work at IBM R&D locations across Israel, including Haifa, Tel Aviv, Herzliya, Rehovot, and the Jerusalem Technology Park. IBM research and development activities in Israel include a number of labs.
Haifa Research Lab
HRL handles projects in the spheres of cloud computing  , healthcare and life sciences, verification technologies  , multimedia, active management , information retrieval , programming environments , business transformation, and optimization technologies . HRL is the biggest IBM research center outside the US.
Systems and Technology Group Lab
STG incorporates the former Haifa Development Lab and develops advanced technologies for IBM's Systems and Technology Group. The STG Lab in Israel is involved in three major activities: storage technology, de-duplication software, and chip design. Working closely with the Israeli hi-tech community and recent IBM acquisitions in Israel, the STG Lab serves as a focal point for building a storage ecosystem in Israel. The lab also works closely with the XIV team in IBM. Its three main departments are Hardware Development, Storage Systems Development, and Diligent Technologies.
Israel Software Lab
ILSL develops software for real-time collaboration , content discovery  and text analytics, metadata management , application security , and SOA . The teams work closely with the Lotus, Information Management, Rational, and WebSphere brands in IBM's Software Group.
List of Israeli companies acquired by IBM
In recent years IBM acquired over a dozen Israeli technology companies, which have been subsequently incorporate into IBM R&D Labs in Israel, they include:
|Company||Description||Acquisition Date||Value (USD)|
|Ubique||Developer of instant messaging and collaboration products, its functions integrated into IBM Lotus Sametime product||May 19, 1998|
|iPhrase Systems||US-based iPhrase had an R&D center in Jerusalem with 30 employees. The US company acquired its activity in Israel when it merged with Banter Systems, a start-up that developed software for automated classification of texts.||November 1, 2005|
|Unicorn Solutions||Developer of software for metadata management, The company’s product provides metadata repository, ontology modeling, semantic mapping, Active Design services, and federated business querying services.||May 5, 2006||$10 million|
|WatchFire||US-based flagship product AppScan, was developed by Sanctum, an Israeli company acquired by WatchFire in 2004. AppScan is a solution for integrate application security, now renamed IBM Rational AppScan||July 20, 2007|
|I-Logix ||Developer of collaborative Model driven development (MDD) solutions, acquired by IBM via the acquisition of Telelogic. Its flagship products now renamed IBM Rational Rhapsody and IBM Rational Statemate||April 3, 2008|
|XIV||High-end disk storage products now renamed IBM XIV Storage System||January 2, 2008|
|FileX||Disk-based backup and recovery solutions||April 10, 2008|
|Diligent Technologies||Data De-duplication||April 18, 2008||$200 million|
|Guardium||Provider of real-time database security and monitoring solutions to safeguard enterprise data and address regulatory compliance requirements.||November 30, 2009||$225 million|
|Storwize||Provider of data compression solutions, now known as IBM Storwize||July 29, 2010||$140 million|
|Worklight||Mobile application development platform||January 31, 2012||$70 million|
|CSL International||virtualization management technology for IBM's zEnterprise system||July 9, 2013||$10 million|
|Trusteer||Endpoint cybercrime prevention||September 3, 2013||$630 million|
- History of IBM research in Israel
- List of multinational companies with research and development centres in Israel
- "Lotus Development Corp. to Bring Real-Time Dimension to Messaging and Groupware". 19 May 1998.
- "IBM acquires iPhrase". Globes. 3 November 2005.
- "IBM buys software co Unicorn Solutions". Globes. 9 June 2006.
- Ogren, Eric. "AppScan lives on with IBM". Computerworld; June 8, 2007.
- "IBM Completes Acquisition of Telelogic AB". IBM Press room. IBM. Apr 3, 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- "IBM acquires Israel-based XIV for undisclosed sum". Reuters. 2008-01-02. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- "IBM To Acquire Israeli Storage Firm FilesX". InformationWeek. April 10, 2008.
- "IBM Signs Agreement to Acquire FilesX" (Press release). 2008-04-10. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- "IBM buys Israel's Diligent The price for the storage solutions company is estimated at $200 million.". Globes. 17 April 2008.
- "IBM to buy Israeli start-up company for $225 million". Haaretz. 2009-11-27.
- IBM buys Israeli data storage company Storwize Globes; 29 July 10
- "IBM Acquires Mobile Specialist Worklight". InformationWeek. January 31, 2012.
- "IBM acquires CSL International". Globes. July 9, 2013.
- "IBM completes Trusteer acquisition". Globes. September 3, 2013.