Logo of CNN- News18
|Launched||18 December 2005|
|Owned by||Network 18|
|Picture format||4:3 (576i, SDTV)
|Audience share||315,000 (May 2017, )|
|Broadcast area||India, UK (as News 18 India), Worldwide|
|Headquarters||Noida, Gautam Buddh Nagar, Uttar Pradesh|
|Sister channel(s)||News18 India
News18 Tamil Nadu
News 18 Assam/North-East
News 18 Kerala
|Asianet Digital (India)||Channel 423|
(UK & Ireland)
|Channel 577 (SD)|
CNN-News18 (originally CNN-IBN) is an Indian English-language news television channel based in Noida, Uttar Pradesh. It is owned by Network 18. According to BARC, CNN-News18 has the fourth-highest rating among all English news channel in India. CNN provides international coverage for the channel, while Indian Broadcasting Network concentrates on Indian and local reports.
In May 2014, Reliance Industries announced it would be taking over Network18. The move is touted as "the biggest-ever deal in the Indian media space". Reliance Industries already has indirect control in the TV18 network by virtue of investments it made in Network18 (starting from January 2012).
Like elsewhere in the world, CNN International only reached the urban elites in India. In order to reach the Indian masses Time Warner together with an Indian company, Global Broadcast News (currently TV18 Broadcast Limited), launched the channel in India as CNN-IBN on 18 December 2005. The channel is completely run by TV18 Broadcast Limited, which only uses the Cable News Network (CNN) brand name.
Currently, Time Warner's India-specific CNN-News18 is watched by more people than its CNN International sister network, although both channels are in English.
According to Network 18, since its inception, the channel has been reaching out to an average of 45 million households every day.
On 1 December 2015, it was announced the brand licensing had been renewed for another term.
At 7:57pm, 18 April 2016, CNN-IBN rebranded as CNN-News18.
- Off Centre: The show feature unconventional personalities from all walks of life
- Morning News: developing stories of the day and newsworthy events
- Breakfast with India: a morning rolling news summary
- News18: a general news bulletin with live news updates
- News18 Sports: discusses and analyses sports stories, results and performances, in India and abroad, hosted by Sanjeeb Mukherjea and Meha Bhardwaj
- Good Afternoon India: a mid-day news review
- Devil’s Advocate: news analysis hosted by journalist Karan Thapar, with some of the thinkers and newsmakers of the week. The show has received NT Awards and Asian Television Awards.
- News 360: a news bulletin covering national, regional, international, business, sports and entertainment news
- The Last Word: news analysis and discussion
- India at 9: primetime news show, with stories from politics, sports, business, and entertainment from India and abroad, with analysis by Rajdeep Sardesai, Editor-in-Chief, IBN Network.
- Reporters Project: a show covering range of stories including election analysis by Marya Shakil and Shreya Dhoundial
- Late Night Edition: news bulletin that wraps up the important news of the day, with analyses of their possible impact
- World View with Suhasini Haidar: hosted by Deputy Foreign Affairs Editor, Suhasini Haidar, a weekly analysis of top international stories, with a view on how India is affected by them, with analysis by foreign policy thinkers for debate on topical issues.
- The Citizen Journalist Show: a show promoting the involvement of ordinary citizens who are directly impacted by the issues on the ground in the entire news gathering process
- The Week That Wasn’t: a 30-minute spoof on the major news events of the week. The show looks at the major stories of the week with a satirical tone. The host is Cyrus Broacha.
- Now Showing: Bollywood news and gossip about Bollywood films, hosted by Entertainment Editor Rajeev Masand
- Living It Up: a series on health and wellness, with lifestyle information, including stories on preventive measures, healthy lifestyle and healthy food
- India Positive: hosted by Karma Paljor, the series showcases positive stories and acts in India
- Big 5 @ 10
- Simply South: Coverage of the latest updates and developments regarding various social, political and economic issues in the southern region of India
- News18 Headstart
- '8 AM Express
- Afternoon Prime: A news review
- In Your City
- Good Evening India
- Hot Seat
Commonwealth Games Contract
On 5 August 2011 Comptroller and Auditor General of India's report on XIX Commonwealth Games was tabled in Parliament of India. In section 14.4.2 of the report, CAG alleged that while awarding contracts worth Rs 3.78 crore for production & broadcasting of commercials for promoting CWG-2010 to CNN-IBN & NDTV, the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee followed an arbitrary approach. Proposals were considered in an ad hoc manner, as and when a proposal was received; no form of competitive tendering was adopted. The CAG further said in its report that, "We had no assurance about the competitiveness of the rates quoted by these channels and the need and usefulness of these proposals. From March 2010 to June 2010, the entire pre games publicity and sponsorship publicity was done only on NDTV & CNN-IBN."
Fake Twitter comments
A controversy about some fake Twitter comments that ran on the screen during a news show raised questions about the reliability of instant feedback from viewers, which was criticized. The officials later apologised saying that the source of viewer comment was wrongly stated as Twitter.
Fake Live debate
On November 2012, on its prime time show Face The Nation, the channel broadcast a pre-recorded and edited interview of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar as a live television debate. The show was hosted by the deputy editor of the channel, Sagarika Ghose, the wife of the channel's editor, Rajdeep Sardesai. On public outcry, the anchor issued a public apology on Twitter, web and TV. The episode has not been hosted on the show's homepage.
In August 2013, TV18 fired nearly 400 people from their various offices including CNN-IBN as a part of restructuring. The company however declined to further comment on the issue.
In 2012, CNN-IBN won three awards at the Ramnath Goenka Awards: Anubha Bhonsle – Best Political Reporter, Preeti Singh – Best on the spot Reporter and Arijit Sen – Best reporter from North East.
- "TV audience measurement data collection - BARC India".
- Network18 Website on CNN-IBN
- Philip Seib. The Al Jazeera Effect: How the New Global Media Are Reshaping World Politics Potomac Books, Inc., 2008.
- AMIT BARUAH and LALATENDU MISHRA. Reliance to take over Network 18. 30 May 2014 
- Urvi Malvania, Mumbai 17 August 2013 Layoffs at TV18 group Business Standard 
- Betwa Sharma 12 June 2014 Corporate takeover raises Indian media fears Al-Jazeera 
- Ulrike Rohn. Cultural Barriers to the Success of Foreign Media Content: Western Media in China, India, and Japan Peter Lang, 2009 p. 278-279, 293
- CNN-IBN reaches out to 45 million households every day
- "CNN, IBN unlikely to renew deal on branding; Zee could step in". http://www.livemint.com/. Retrieved 2015-10-28. External link in
- "CNN-IBN likely to end licensing agreement with Turner after a decade | ET BrandEquity". ETBrandEquity.com. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- "CNN to End India Network Deal". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2015-10-28.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZDGxta0_4, retrieved 2015-12-02 Missing or empty
- PTI (18 April 2016). "Network18 to rebrand CNN-IBN as CNN-News18". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "10 on 10 for CNN-IBN - Best Media Info, News and Analysis on Indian Advertising, Marketing and Media Industry.". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "CNN-IBN retains position among top 10 English News Genre". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- CNN-IBN Shows
- "CNN-IBN & IBN7 gear up for ICC Champions Trophy 2013 - Best Media Info, News and Analysis on Indian Advertising, Marketing and Media Industry.". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "Couch Talk Episode 43 with Gaurav Kalra, CNN IBN Sports Editor". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Good Afternoon India
- "CNN IBN Devils Advocate Dalai Lama on China, retirement". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "When the Devil's Advocate has the Last Word". 10 June 2013. Retrieved 2 July 2016 – via The Hindu.
- "News 360: Government's Ramayana Plan For UP". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "CNN-IBN rejigs primetime programming - Best Media Info, News and Analysis on Indian Advertising, Marketing and Media Industry.". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- CNN–IBN presents the ‘The Last Word’ with Karan Thapar
- Last Word with Karan Thapar
- "CNN-IBN India's Best News Channel is also Asia's Best". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- India at 9
- Late Night Edition
- "Suhasini-Haidar News: Latest News and Updates on Suhasini-Haidar at News18". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "News18.com: CNN News18 Latest News, Breaking News India, Current News Headlines". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- The CNN-IBN citizen journalist show - Be the change!
- "Cyrus Broacha On The Week That Wasn't - Best Media Info, News and Analysis on Indian Advertising, Marketing and Media Industry.". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "News Archives: The Hindu". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- 'Living it Up' returns on CNN-IBN
- "Live It Up again with CNN-IBN - Best Media Info, News and Analysis on Indian Advertising, Marketing and Media Industry.". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- India Positive
- "CAG Report on XIX Commonwealth Games" (PDF). Comptroller & Auditor General of India (Pdf).
- "CAG blames top media houses in Commonwealth Games Scam". News of Delhi.
- "Games contracts to media houses arbitrary and biased: CAG". India Today.
- Priscilla Jebaraj (2010-12-19). "Thehindu.com". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Sagarika Ghose on Twitter". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "Face The Nation: A clarification and an apology". 10 November 2011. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "CNN-IBN 'small' apology to Sri Sri". 11 November 2011. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- "Face the Nation Shows Videos-Watch Most viewed videos of Face the Nation : IBNLive". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- Malvania, Urvi. "Layoffs at TV18 group". Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "Ramnath Goenka Awards: The Storytellers". The Indian Express. 14 September 2014. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "CNN-IBN wins 3 awards at the Ramnath Goenka Awards 2012". Best Media Info. 18 January 2012. Retrieved 2014-08-25.