International Centre for Theoretical Physics
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) is an international research institute for physical and mathematical sciences that operates under a tripartite agreement between the Italian Government, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). It is located near the Miramare Park, about 10 kilometres from the city of Trieste, Italy. The centre was founded in 1964 by Pakistani Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam.
- Foster the growth of advanced studies and research in physical and mathematical sciences, especially in support of excellence in developing countries;
- Develop high-level scientific programmes keeping in mind the needs of developing countries, and provide an international forum of scientific contact for scientists from all countries;
- Conduct research at the highest international standards and maintain a conducive environment of scientific inquiry for the entire ICTP community.
Research at ICTP is carried out by seven scientific sections:
- High Energy, Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics
- Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics
- Earth System Physics
- Applied Physics
- Quantitative Life Sciences
- New Research Areas (which includes studies related to Energy and Sustainability and Computing Sciences)
The scientific community at ICTP includes staff research scientists, postdoctoral fellows and long- and short-term visitors engaged in independent or collaborative research. Throughout the year, the sections organize conferences, workshops, seminars and colloquiums in their respective fields. ICTP also has visitor programmes specifically for scientific visitors from developing countries, including programmes under federation and associateship schemes.
ICTP offers educational training through its pre-PhD programmes and degree programmes (conducted in collaboration with other institutes).
- Pre-PhD programmes
- Postgraduate diploma programmes in Condensed Matter Physics, High Energy Physics, Mathematics and Earth System Physics for students from developing countries.
- The Sandwich Training Educational Programme (STEP) for students from developing countries already enrolled in PhD programmes in the fields of physics and mathematics.
In collaboration with other institutes, ICTP offers masters and doctoral degrees in physics and mathematics.
- Joint ICTP/SISSA PhD Programme in Physics and Mathematics
- Joint PhD Programme in Environmental Fluid Mechanics
- Joint Laurea Magistralis in Physics
- Joint ICTP/Collegio Carlo Alberto Program in Economics
- International Master, Physics of Complex Systems
In addition, ICTP collaborates with local laboratories, including Elettra Synchrotron Light Laboratory, to provide fellowships and laboratory opportunities.
Prizes and awards
ICTP has instituted awards to honour and encourage high-level research in the fields of physics and mathematics.
- The Dirac Medal – For scientists who have made significant contributions to theoretical physics.
- The ICTP Prize – For young scientists from developing countries.
- ICO/ICTP Gallieno Denardo Award – For significant contributions to the field of optics.
- The Ramanujan Prize – For young mathematicians from developing countries.
On February 6, 2012, ICTP opened a regional branch (ICTP South American Institute for Fundamental Research) in São Paulo, Brazil. Its activities are modelled on those of the ICTP and include schools and workshops, as well as a visiting scientists programme.
In 2007 ICTP created the peer-reviewed open-access Journal "African Review of Physics" under the then name "African Physical Review".
- International School for Advanced Studies
- University of Trieste
- Joint Institute for Nuclear Research
- "Trieste System" (in Italian). Triestesystem.it. Archived from the original on 2013-11-03. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "ICTP – Mission and History". Ictp.it. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- Quevedo, Fernando (July 2013). "The Importance of International Research Institutions for Science Diplomacy". Science & Diplomacy. 2 (3).
- "ICTP – Research at ICTP". Ictp.it. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "ICTP – Career Development". Ictp.it. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "The Postgraduate Diploma Programme of the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics — ICTP Diploma". Diploma.ictp.it. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "ICTP – Pre-PhD Programmes". Ictp.it. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "ICTP – Degree Programmes". Ictp.it. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Elettra Sincrotrone Trieste". Elettra.trieste.it. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "ICTP – ICO/ICTP Gallieno Denardo Award". Ictp.it. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Ictp – Saifr". Ictp-saifr.org. Retrieved 2013-11-01.