ID2020 is a nongovernmental organization (501(c)(3)) which advocates for digital ID for the billion undocumented people worldwide and under-served groups like refugees. Dakota Gruener is the executive director of ID2020. The NGO was relatively unknown before being publicized because of misinformation related to the COVID-19 pandemic by conspiracy theorists.
In May 2016, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, the inaugural ID2020 summit brought together over 400 people to discuss how to provide digital identity to all, a defined Sustainable Development Goal including to 1.5 billion people living without any form of recognized identification. Experts in blockchain and other cryptographic technology joined with representatives of technical standards bodies to identify how technology and other private sector expertise could achieve the goal.
ID2020 is a public-private consortium in service of the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goal of providing legal identity for all people, including the world's most vulnerable populations.
ID2020 has published a ten-point mission statement, which includes: "We believe that individuals must have control over their own digital identities, including how personal data is collected, used, and shared."
COVID-19 conspiracy theory
Conspiracy theorists falsely alleged that ID2020 and Bill Gates made plans for mandatory COVID-19 vaccination and the implantation of microchips into patients' bodies. As a result of these conspiracy theories, the staff at ID2020 received death threats.
- Starritt, Alex (24 November 2016). "How Sixty Million Refugees Can Prove Who They Are". Huffington Post. Apolitical. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Fighting for a Secure Digital Identity for All -- Redmondmag.com". Redmondmag. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "ID2020 holds Inaugural Summit at the United Nations". ID2020. Archived from the original on 7 November 2018. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- ID2020 and partners launch program to provide digital ID with vaccines Biometric Update, Chris Burt, September 20, 2019
- Accenture, Microsoft team up on blockchain-based digital ID network Anna Irrera, Reuters, June 19, 2017
- ID2020: DIGITAL IDENTITY with Blockchain and Biometrics
- False claim: Bill Gates planning to use microchip implants to fight coronavirus Reuters, March 31, 2020
- Bill Gates, at Odds With Trump on Virus, Becomes Right-Wing Target New York Times, April 17, 2020
- Bill Gates is the top target for coronavirus conspiracy theories Tom Huddleston Jr., CNBC, April 17, 2020
- Trumpists Believe Bill Gates Is Using Coronavirus to Implant Brain Chips The Daily Beast, Will Sommer, April 16, 2020
- Conspiracy Theory Misinterprets Goals of Gates Foundation FactCheck.org April 2020
- Parker, Ben (15 April 2020). "How a tech NGO got sucked into a COVID-19 conspiracy theory". www.thenewhumanitarian.org. Archived from the original on April 16, 2020. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- Official website
- World Health Organization: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: Myth busters
- Coronavirus at Politifact