IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society
||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society is a professional society of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). The society's Field of Interest, according to its website, include metrology, analog and digital electronic instruments, systems and standards for measuring and recording electrical quantities (in both the frequency and time domains), instrumentation and transducers for measurement of non-electrical variables, calibration and uncertainty, instruments with automated control and analysis functions, safety instrumentation, and new technology applications.
The IRE Professional Group on Instrumentation was established on March 9, 1950, which after the merger with American Institute of Electrical Engineers in 1963 changed its name to the IEEE Professional Technical Group on Instrumentation and Measurement. In 1964 the group changed its name to the IEEE Group on Instrumentation and Measurement and again in 1978 to the IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society.
The IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society publishes the I&M Magazine and the IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement (TIM).
The society sponsors three major conferences  on a yearly basis.
In addition, there are a number of smaller, area-specific conferences sponsored by I&M, including:
- International Symposium on Haptic Audio-Visual Environments and Games
- International Symposium on Robotic and Sensors Environments
- International Symposium on Medical Environments and Applications
- International Workshop on Applied Measurements for Power Systems
- International Conference on Imaging Systems and Techniques
- IEEE Instrumentation & Measurement Society
- IEEE Global History Network (2011). "IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society History". IEEE History Center. Retrieved 7 July 2011.
- IEEE IMS Publications
- IEEE IMS Conferences