IEEE Professional Communication Society
The IEEE Professional Communication Society is a professional society of the IEEE. Its primary goals include helping engineers and technical writers to pursue further education and research in their fields, in addition to development of standards in technical communication. The society sponsors international conferences, including the annual IEEE IPCC International Professional Communication Conference.
Formed in March 1957 as the IRE Professional Group on Engineering Writing, the group changed its name to the IRE Professional Group on Engineering Writing and Speech (April 1957), IEEE Professional Technical Group on Engineering Writing and Speech (1963), IEEE Group on Engineering Writing and Speech (1964), IEEE Group on Professional Communication (1971) and the IEEE Professional Communication Society (1978).
Field of interest
The society states in its constitution that its Field of Interest includes "the study, development, improvement, and promotion of effective techniques for preparing, organizing, processing, editing, collecting, conserving, teaching, and disseminating any form of technical information by and to individuals and groups by any method of communication. It also includes technical, scientific, industrial, and other activities that contribute to the techniques and products used in this field."
- Sandra E Belanger, Business And Technical Communication: An Annotated Guide To Sources, Skills, And Samples, pg. 89. Westport: Greenwood Publishing Group, 2005. ISBN 9780313308727
- "Ieee Pcs". Ewh.ieee.org. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- "Ieee Ipcc". Ewh.ieee.org. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- Communication Skills: An International Review, pg. 185. Vol. 1 of the Croom Helm Communication Series. Ed. Philip James Hills. London: Routledge, 1987. ISBN 9780709947578
- "IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication". Ewh.ieee.org. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- Nell Ann Picket, "The Technical Communication Service Course Serves." Taken from Foundations for Teaching Technical Communication: Theory, Practice, and Program Design, pg. 292. Eds. Katherine E. Staples and Cezar M. Ornatowski. Westport: Greenwood Publishing Group, 1997. ISBN 9781567503210
- IEEE Global History Network (2011). "IEEE Professional Communication Society History". IEEE History Center. Retrieved 7 July 2011.
- "IEEE Professional Communication Society Constitution". Ewh.ieee.org. Retrieved 2013-10-02.