IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology
The IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology (SSIT) is a professional society of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). The society's Field of Interest is, according to its constitution;
- "the impact of technology (as embodied by the fields of interest of IEEE) on society, including both positive and negative effects, the impact of society on the engineering profession, the history of the societal aspects of electro technology, and professional social and economic responsibility in the practice of engineering and its related technology,"
The society was founded in 1972 as the Committee on Social Implications of Technology. It was given its current name in 1982.
Publications and activities
It also sponsors an annual conference, the International Symposium on Technology and Society (ISTAS). and co-sponsors related conferences and organizes talks about the social implications of technology.
SSIT has over 20 chapters worldwide including: Boston, Connecticut, Long Island, Pittsburgh, Virginia/Baltimore/Washington, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland, UK & Republic of Ireland, Argentina, Colombia, Western Puerto Rico, Australia, Bangalore, Kerala, Japan.
- IEEE Society List
- Paper: Ethical and Social Issues in Engineering and Computing – The Spring Regional Meeting of the IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology Brian M. O'Connell, J.D. The Journal of Philosophy, Science and Law Volume 3, July 2003
- Social Informatics
- Google Books Software engineering. Joanne M. Atlee Edition: 3, illustrated. Published by Prentice Hall, 2005 ISBN 978-0-13-146913-6, 716 pages Ch. 14 p. 670
- Center for the Philosophy of Nature and Science Studies (CPNSS) University of Copenhagen
- IEEE Social Implications of Technology Constitution
- IEEE Global History Network (2011). "IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology History". IEEE History Center. Retrieved 7 July 2011.
- SSIT Biotech postings
- SSIT Big Data postings
- and SSIT Privacy Postings
- SSIT Ethics postings
- IEEE Technology & Society Magazine
- "Technology and Society Magazine - IEEE Technology and Society". IEEE Technology and Society. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- IEEE International Symposium on Technology and Society (ISTAS)
- IEEE/ACM International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD2007)
- Center for Research on Computation and Society Harvard Engineering and Applied Sciences